Fish finder with gps

gi53

Button Buck
I am looking to get a new fish finder with gps, There is so many of them out there now. I have always had hummingbird but the last to I got I had to return. I was also thinking about either DI or Si, what do you all think is best? I am looking to spend around $500 any input on what to get would be great, thanks

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
what model is that? are garmin good units I have used one.
thats the new touch version.

this is the older version that isnt touch.

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm partial to the Lowrance HDS units because of their touch screen and are very user friendly. Humminbird helix units are very nice too, I don't think you could go wrong with either one. One piece of advice, get the biggest screen you can afford!

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Garmin's are supposedly the easiest to use and well priced. I like the simrad GO series. In that same price range as well.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

redbow

Ten Pointer
I looked at Lowrance but there were quite a few complaints on the internet about their quality now days as well as their poor customer service. I bought a Simrad GO7 XSR with total scan. It got good reviews and the price on Amazon was $569.00. Funny thing is, Lowrance and Simrad are owned by the same company. I just got the new depth finder installed so I can't speak to its quality yet. Hopefully it works as advertised.

redbow

Ten Pointer
I'm partial to the Lowrance HDS units because of their touch screen and are very user friendly. Humminbird helix units are very nice too, I don't think you could go wrong with either one. One piece of advice, get the biggest screen you can afford!
Probably quite a bit more than $500 though.

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
They are all good! Seems each of the systems has something it does better than the others. I have a Simrad GO7 (XSE/R)(thru hull ducer) and a Humminbird SOLIX 10 (DI/SI+) and can't say a bad thing about either. If you have a map chip preference, or already own any map cards, that may factor into your preference. Look at the lakes you fish and the bathymetry coverage for the various cards...you may find you only have coverage with one provider or another. I think the GO series by SIMRAD comes with a free CMAP card? That saves you ~$100-150. I have CMAP in my Simrad and Navionics chips for my HB.

On plane I use my Simrad for 2D and my Solix as my chartplotter, off plane I am using my Solix for SI/DI and Simrad for Chart or 2D. The Simrad and thru hull came rigged on the boat, I chose the Solix because it seemed to have the best DI/SI due to the 1kHz capability. It also talks to my Ulterra and allows me to do some pretty cool things with the trolling motor.

I would find a discontinued model and use the money you save to increase the display size. Don't get caught up in touch screen capabilities. I find the buttons to be more usable, especially on the run. My HB has both, my GO7 is touchscreen only. I prefer knobs and buttons 80% of the time. I'll take a larger display over touchscreen any day of the week!!!

What are you looking to do with it? What type of fishing? Are there any other electronics you may want to network with it in the future? What areas do you fish most? Do you want DI/SI?

gi53

Button Buck
They are all good! Seems each of the systems has something it does better than the others. I have a Simrad GO7 (XSE/R)(thru hull ducer) and a Humminbird SOLIX 10 (DI/SI+) and can't say a bad thing about either. If you have a map chip preference, or already own any map cards, that may factor into your preference. Look at the lakes you fish and the bathymetry coverage for the various cards...you may find you only have coverage with one provider or another. I think the GO series by SIMRAD comes with a free CMAP card? That saves you ~$100-150. I have CMAP in my Simrad and Navionics chips for my HB.

On plane I use my Simrad for 2D and my Solix as my chartplotter, off plane I am using my Solix for SI/DI and Simrad for Chart or 2D. The Simrad and thru hull came rigged on the boat, I chose the Solix because it seemed to have the best DI/SI due to the 1kHz capability. It also talks to my Ulterra and allows me to do some pretty cool things with the trolling motor.

I would find a discontinued model and use the money you save to increase the display size. Don't get caught up in touch screen capabilities. I find the buttons to be more usable, especially on the run. My HB has both, my GO7 is touchscreen only. I prefer knobs and buttons 80% of the time. I'll take a larger display over touchscreen any day of the week!!!

What are you looking to do with it? What type of fishing? Are there any other electronics you may want to network with it in the future? What areas do you fish most? Do you want DI/SI?
Hi, thanks for the info. I fish creeks and such for crappie, catfish, rock fish., I fish shallow water mostly, less than 8'. will SI and DI work well in shallow water ? I do want a large display after reading how much better it is.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I went with Lowrance hook 2 9" and a 7" with side scan.
Both are great units and easy to use. Good pricepoint also...

But I will second what was said about Lowrance CS it sucks.
My 7" had a problem with over heating. Spent many emails and calls only to give up.
Carried it to the store and they replaced it.

Not had a problem from that point on. Just hope for the money they keep running.

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
Yes, SI/DI work great in shallow water. You will want to use the higher frequency settings (800Hz/1kHz) for the higher detail/shallower use. With the 1kHz giving you the best images in that really shallow water.

Might want to try and find a previous generation Helix from HB. I think this would be the Helix G2/G2N. This would give you the 1kHz SI/DI in a discontinued model that would give more of a budget to up the display size.

As far as display size vs cost...get ready for sticker shock! The increase in $ for display size is not linear! More like an exponential relationship! Every 2-3" increase in display size will ~ double the price of the unit.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
Si is always displayed as 250 ft or whatever to each side. Just remember that side scan works on a 2/1 or 3/1 scale if you in 10ft of water you will view 20-30 each side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
Si is always displayed as 250 ft or whatever to each side. Just remember that side scan works on a 2/1 or 3/1 scale if you in 10ft of water you will view 20-30 each side

With the HB SI+ I can get get 80' each side in 10-15' maybe more. I typically have my swath range set to 80' and I can see out to the edge of that in the shallows. The only time I look further than that is when I am hunting ledges out deep and am running 400/800kHz.

I'll check when I get back to the house, but I think I was even getting 50'+ in <3' of water last year while looking for bream beds with my son. I took a screenshot. We could see fish in the beds...it was a cool shot!

Last edited:

gi53

Button Buck
And what unit do you have? does it have DI, and what s
With the HB SI+ I can get get 80' each side in 10-15' maybe more. I typically have my swath range set to 80' and I can see out to the edge of that in the shallows. The only time I look further than that is when I am hunting ledges out deep and am running 400/800kHz.

I'll check when I get back to the house, but I think I was even getting 50'+ in <3' of water last year while looking for bream beds with my son. I took a screenshot. We could see fish in the beds...it was a cool shot!

And what unit do you have? Does it have DI? what size display?

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
Hummingbird Solix 10 MEGA SI+ G2N. Has 2D/SI/DI. And I have the Simrad GO7 but it has a thru Hull transducer so I only get 2D.

Not sure if you are near a Bass Pro, but they have some pretty good deals next week.

4EDBF6CE-861E-4F90-B202-7774EB1CE7AB.jpegC5417384-86D1-455A-BA8D-F518FF186363.jpegC2D1C1C2-DCBC-4E7C-A16A-DBB7B7C23AAB.jpeg

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
261aae787c01739ae2179f04ce67b2d7.jpg

Screen size is important. When trolling I like to have down, side, and traditional all going at the same time. If I get a bite or catch I add the map in so I can go over the same area again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gi53

Button Buck
STRIKER™ Plus 9SV w/CV52HW-TM Transducer, this is what i am looking at getting! Is this a good unit? I can get it for $500!