Fish cleaning table

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Depends on what you are cleaning and where?

I have a 2x4' plastic table and it works great.
The legs are adjustable and I can make it taller.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
^ Those polymer tables are pretty good for the cost. For well under $100, you get a decent cutting board type table, with a water hookup, and it's portable and can be used anywhere there's a garden hose. I've taken mine on vacation before when I was expecting to cut a lot of fish.

I wanted to make a nice built in one for the house - I've looked at stainless steel with built in sinks, I've considered building one out of wood and installing a sink/faucet, but for the cost/simplicity/versatility, it's hard to beat those.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
those tables with sink are great for portable. If semi permanent I'd go stainless. They come up alot on for sale sites. Cost can be high but there are deals out there.

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
This is what I use. I don't bother with the faucet though. I just hook the handle of my spray hose on the front leg brace because I like to spray the slime off of them first.

I don't suggest stainless steel unless you have a scuffed up area. Otherwise fish, deer, hogs slide all over the freaking place... learned the hard way.

I setup and toss the scraps right into the eagerly awaiting hogs....

20220919_182525.jpg

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
This is what I use. I don't bother with the faucet though. I just hook the handle of my spray hose on the front leg brace because I like to spray the slime off of them first.

I don't suggest stainless steel unless you have a scuffed up area. Otherwise fish, deer, hogs slide all over the freaking place... learned the hard way.

I setup and toss the scraps right into the eagerly awaiting hogs....

View attachment 99890
Been to Lick Creek again??!!

Dang it @cloningerba

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I use an old ironing board, metal grate on top,
adjustable,
easy to clean,
free,,,

similar to this,,, only outdoors

vintage-metal-ironing-board-40-americanlisted_35125371.jpg

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We used to buy sheets of plastic….i think it was hdpe. Could get it in many different thicknesses. We used it for clarifier wear parts in wastewater…but i would use it in a heartbeat for any type of meat/fish. Most of it was slick sided. That is the downfall. Used to come in 4x8 and 5x10 with whatever thickness you desired. Good solid stuff but wouldnt hurt a knife much. Thats my downfall with stainless. Wood can get pretty gross in short order. Plastic can be cloroxed and good to go.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
We used to buy sheets of plastic….i think it was hdpe. Could get it in many different thicknesses. We used it for clarifier wear parts in wastewater…but i would use it in a heartbeat for any type of meat/fish. Most of it was slick sided. That is the downfall. Used to come in 4x8 and 5x10 with whatever thickness you desired. Good solid stuff but wouldnt hurt a knife much. Thats my downfall with stainless. Wood can get pretty gross in short order. Plastic can be cloroxed and good to go.

It’s my understanding* that wood is actually safer wrt bacterial growth than plastic.

*I don’t know of any research and also once believed you had to wait 30** minutes after eating before getting back into the pool or you would get cramps and drown.

**in some Latin countries it was 60 minutes.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Bleach is your friend

however, I just take water and wipe the algae off with my hand from the plastic table I use.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It’s my understanding* that wood is actually safer wrt bacterial growth than plastic.

*I don’t know of any research and also once believed you had to wait 30** minutes after eating before getting back into the pool or you would get cramps and drown.

**in some Latin countries it was 60 minutes.

Wood cutting boards have been around forever. Not been a big issue. Some of those ones at the puers sure do seem nasty though.

mike

Eight Pointer
Here's mine. Corian countertop bought at Habitat For Humanity Restore store for $7 and cut down to what I needed. Sink picked up for free and I run a water hose to it with a quick-connect. Works great!!
Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

11066140_10206352720918998_3171525744907272296_o.jpg

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Nice wide slab of sawmill pine, maybe 18" if you can find one, either that or a tobacco barn stringing bench. Wood has always been my favorite.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I also use the white plastic table from bass pro. I never took the time to hook up the sink though, so I keep a bucket under the drain hole and push my scraps into it as I work. Works well, cleans pretty easily and is big enough to debone deer quarters on as well81A268BD-0258-4B86-ACE6-50F8B70DBB94.jpeg

outdoorbum

Button Buck
For fish, I like "plastic" tops. The plastic stuff holds fish better and keeps them from sliding as they get slick and slimy. I have a couple of the BPS/Cabela's cleaning tables and love them. I even use cutting board sheets for quick jobs. Whatever you do: be safe and keep your knife sharp (the dr doesn't have to sew as much as a dull knife wound, don't ask how I know that)!!!!