First year Turkey Hunter

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Get out and start hanging around turkeys. Watch them. Learn how they act and how they react to things. If you have a place to hunt, start learning how they like to use the different places. Come time to hunt, keep it simple - locate, set up, call them in to the gun - using what you've learned as best you can.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Got a couple spots with a few Turkeys so I plan to see what all the fuss is about this year. I'm actually pretty excited about it. With that said what would you say is the most beneficial advice for a new turkey hunter like myself. I got the gun, already ordered some rounds to pattern. I have a couple places with some turkey. I don't have any calls or really even know more than what I've seen on TV. If someone want to point me in the right direction to a good book or article I'm eager to learn. Thanks in advance!
i missed the good book part.
Tomfoolery 2000 by Earl Groves and Michael Hanback's Spring Gobbler Fever are the best how to books I have read. I have read and own most turkey hunting books in print. You can find them on amazon or on Jim Casada's web site.
The thing with turkey hunting (like most endeavors) is that it's hard to really tell someone how to kill one by calling and maneuvering in any detail.
You just "Do It" based on your abilities and experience.
Both these guys transfer some knowledge in a way that is helpful regardless of your experience,
hanback has drawings that help but Earl can describe a scenario in such vivid detail as to make drawings unneeded.

Good Luck.

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
i missed the good book part.
Tomfoolery 2000 by Earl Groves and Michael Hanback's Spring Gobbler Fever are the best how to books I have read. I have read and own most turkey hunting books in print. You can find them on amazon or on Jim Casada's web site.
The thing with turkey hunting (like most endeavors) is that it's hard to really tell someone how to kill one by calling and maneuvering in any detail.
You just "Do It" based on your abilities and experience.
Both these guys transfer some knowledge in a way that is helpful regardless of your experience,
hanback has drawings that help but Earl can describe a scenario in such vivid detail as to make drawings unneeded.

Good Luck.

Getting on Amazon now...Thanks!

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
That site is trouble!!! Do you have a phone # I can direct my wife to when she sees my impending book purchase? I'm gonna need someone to share her ire with...
sure I'll give you my wife's number.
She uses this as an easy present site for me for Christmas and Birthdays.
She'll sell the benefits to your wife. ;)
You just make out the wish list.

johnnyk2000

Eight Pointer
Here is some advice, it gets a lot of turkeys killed or keeps them alive.

If a bird answers you in the morning he will come back to that spot to check you out. It might be right then or 3-dark pm or around lunch. If you can sit and wait without much activity you are more than likely to kill em.
I’m not one to give you that advice because I cannot sit still that long.
Meat eater had a awesome pod cast with a turkey biologist last summer that is well worth a listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just finished listening to the podcast mentioned. It took me 2 days but it was well worth it. Thanks for the tip.

Here is some advice, it gets a lot of turkeys killed or keeps them alive.

If a bird answers you in the morning he will come back to that spot to check you out. It might be right then or 3-dark pm or around lunch. If you can sit and wait without much activity you are more than likely to kill em.
I’m not one to give you that advice because I cannot sit still that long.
Meat eater had a awesome pod cast with a turkey biologist last summer that is well worth a listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with this whole heartedly. I call them “biscuit birds”. If he gobbled back that morning, but hens went to him. Go get a biscuit to kill some time. Sneak back in the exact same spot around 9:00, and he may show back up. Most of the time he slips in quiet though.
I have had varying success with this, and in my opinion it is less exciting than calling back and forth and letting the excitement build. On biscuit birds, they just kind of appear and then you shoot them. It is just a different type of hunt I guess.
It makes sense to say that I like the hunt more than the kill. I know everybody isn’t that way, so hunt them the way that makes you happy!!

DeerManager

Eight Pointer
Got a couple spots with a few Turkeys so I plan to see what all the fuss is about this year. I'm actually pretty excited about it. With that said what would you say is the most beneficial advice for a new turkey hunter like myself. I got the gun, already ordered some rounds to pattern. I have a couple places with some turkey. I don't have any calls or really even know more than what I've seen on TV. If someone want to point me in the right direction to a good book or article I'm eager to learn. Thanks in advance!
I asked the same question six years ago when I got started turkey hunting. I asked questions and researched do's and don'ts of turkey hunting and watched numerous YouTube videos and practiced my calling for hours. I consider myself, still, a rookie at turkey hunting. However, I have harvested five birds in 6 years. There is numerous do's and don'ts, what has stuck with me is I was told that calling too much is a deal breaker. With that said, I have felt that if I had called more that I would have called a bird in. With that said, my experience is that once a bird is answering your call longer intervals between calling is beneficial to you. Who knows exactly how long between intervals of calling. Follow your gut feeling while knowing that over calling may not be good. Also, I have experienced turkeys( gobblers) come to calling without gobbling and that hens will come to calling( maybe have a gobbler with them). Another experience of mine, it was a hard lesson, do not wait for that " perfect" shot, it may not happen.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Stomp some brush and get out there. Right before season, get out before daybreak and just listen. Try to figure out where they are roosting. Then that afternoon get back out before dark and see if you can roost them in the same area. That will give you a good idea where to be come opening day.

They do not always roost in the same tree but close, in the birds I have hunted. Always a chance someone else has roosted the same bird. So, have another area to head out to.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
on listening- go when you can as early (march) as you can in as many places as you can.
no such thing as knowing where too many turkeys are.
your only limitation should be your abilty to get up or the land you can get to,
especially if it's your first year.
of course some know exactly where "their" turkeys roost year after year so they can sleep.
I know some spots like that as well but I still like a census count and I just love hearing them.
I actually almost like the listening trips better,
The turkeys seldom make an ass of me when i am just listening.

gobbler

Eight Pointer
I agree with oldest, some of the most fun trips with my boys were just scouting listening trips, I had a great friend that used to say he enjoyed locating more than killing, my boy had a ball last year trying to hoot at one we had roosted one night, we sat at the truck eating jerky and listening to him gobble at everything, he was still hobbling when we left and when we came back he started drumming real early and gobbled in the dark

unfortunately, some folks pulled up beside my truck while the turkey was still on the limb and decided they’d just come on in, ya know folks when you do something stupid it doesn’t just mess your day up it messes others up aswell and you don’t understand that person might be there only day to hunt or whatever the situation maybe, the selfishness that exudes from the hunting public these days erks me to no end
We may or may not have killed that bird but to have a hunt with him end in such away, I get so tired of driving distances and paying gas and license and spending time scouting only to have some dumbass mess you up,

do to a new guy starting out, turkey hunting is notdeer hunting, you need room to roam, if there are two hunters in the woods and a bird gobble guess where both guys are going, I don’t need any help,who ever was there first gets it, move on elsewhere, and please know what your shooting

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
on listening- go when you can as early (march) as you can in as many places as you can.
no such thing as knowing where too many turkeys are.
your only limitation should be your abilty to get up or the land you can get to,
especially if it's your first year.
of course some know exactly where "their" turkeys roost year after year so they can sleep.
I know some spots like that as well but I still like a census count and I just love hearing them.
I actually almost like the listening trips better,
The turkeys seldom make an ass of me when i am just listening.
That is a true statement

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I agree with oldest, some of the most fun trips with my boys were just scouting listening trips, I had a great friend that used to say he enjoyed locating more than killing, my boy had a ball last year trying to hoot at one we had roosted one night, we sat at the truck eating jerky and listening to him gobble at everything, he was still hobbling when we left and when we came back he started drumming real early and gobbled in the dark

unfortunately, some folks pulled up beside my truck while the turkey was still on the limb and decided they’d just come on in, ya know folks when you do something stupid it doesn’t just mess your day up it messes others up aswell and you don’t understand that person might be there only day to hunt or whatever the situation maybe, the selfishness that exudes from the hunting public these days erks me to no end
We may or may not have killed that bird but to have a hunt with him end in such away, I get so tired of driving distances and paying gas and license and spending time scouting only to have some dumbass mess you up,

do to a new guy starting out, turkey hunting is notdeer hunting, you need room to roam, if there are two hunters in the woods and a bird gobble guess where both guys are going, I don’t need any help,who ever was there first gets it, move on elsewhere, and please know what your shooting
I hate to see season open so much peace scouting rarely ever see soul and its most gobbling to be heard all year

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I hate to see season open so much peace scouting rarely ever see soul and its most gobbling to be heard all year
I asked the same question six years ago when I got started turkey hunting. I asked questions and researched do's and don'ts of turkey hunting and watched numerous YouTube videos and practiced my calling for hours. I consider myself, still, a rookie at turkey hunting. However, I have harvested five birds in 6 years. There is numerous do's and don'ts, what has stuck with me is I was told that calling too much is a deal breaker. With that said, I have felt that if I had called more that I would have called a bird in. With that said, my experience is that once a bird is answering your call longer intervals between calling is beneficial to you. Who knows exactly how long between intervals of calling. Follow your gut feeling while knowing that over calling may not be good. Also, I have experienced turkeys( gobblers) come to calling without gobbling and that hens will come to calling( maybe have a gobbler with them). Another experience of mine, it was a hard lesson, do not wait for that " perfect" shot, it may not happen.
you have learned some fine lessons in your six years.
Those volunteer walk ups silent ones need killing. They are useless gobblers. need those genes removed. LOL
Those silent ones make us feel like heros many times.
That calling too much is a bird to bird decision. when you have hunted them sixty years it'll still be that way.
But I think it is awful advice to get a beginner scared to call. Glad you figured it out.
and Amen on waiting for the perfect shot.

recoil

Eight Pointer
Not sure where you are, I am in Stokes County. If we can make it work you are welcome to tag along one morning.

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
One of the most important aspects of turkey hunting is being able to take the gobblers temperature. This is achieved by spending time in the woods, making mistakes and learning from them. My gf and daughter kill birds yearly with scratching leaves as their sole communication with Tom's but they are learning different meanings of a gobble. This takes time both started in a tent and now both hunt from chairs and move with the bird. Learn the different phases of the breeding season and what it means. My favorite time to hunt is from 10am till dark. Good luck and enjoy your time in the woods.