First wild duck

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Taste like ribeye. Man have I been missing out.

360ad763e5974e7e53298c266aafe56e.jpg

121810ebb0727fa99d69140d93f0a715.jpg

fa851a83ea9fe6575982638789b3a467.jpg

8d0483f7ad75d02a94d217fa359f52c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Just finished it all... holy crap... I’m a venison fan, but man..... these ducks got it beat hands down. I know it can vary from duck to duck, or so I’ve heard, but if they’re all along these lines, sign me up.

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
My brother said baffle heads. He killed them. I confiscated them.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I know it can vary from duck to duck, or so I’ve heard, but if they’re all along these lines, sign me up.

yeah, folks say that but they must have a more "gentle" palate than I do,,, because cooked that way you did I haven't found one I didn't like - some nuance to "better" but all are good

then you let them dang Cajuns go to work on them and they make any duck good

welcome to the DuckEater channel!!

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
How did you cook and season? Looking to take a few here this week and will be in need for a proven recipe or two. Thx

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
yeah, folks say that but they must have a more "gentle" palate than I do,,, because cooked that way you did I haven't found one I didn't like - some nuance to "better" but all are good

Wish I’d have joined long before now!

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
How did you cook and season? Looking to take a few here this week and will be in need for a proven recipe or two. Thx

Pluck and breast out with skin on.
Salt and pepper liberally both sides.
Sauté in butter as hot as you can without burning the butter.Baste the breast after the first turn. You want the outside crispy while maintaining moisture. Mine was med rare to rare.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
One of the biggest reasons it was so good was you didn't try to kill it again in the skillet!! Most people make a burnt offering to the Gods and that's where it gets the bad rep.... Some good rice and Brussel sprouts to go with it and you probably would have given up sex!!

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
One of the biggest reasons it was so good was you didn't try to kill it again in the skillet!! Most people make a burnt offering to the Gods and that's where it gets the bad rep.... Some good rice and Brussel sprouts to go with it and you probably would have given up sex!!

Rice would be fine, but you can keep your sprouts. That’s a big ole negative ghost rider on the last bit.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Rice would be fine, but you can keep your sprouts. That’s a big ole negative ghost rider on the last bit.

Not a fan of Brussels sprouts myself. But..a sauce of some sort makes the difference. Cheese, Hollandaise, sauce and I enjoy them.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Find some of this blueberry bbq sauce and render it down to thicken it up and drizzle on top of the duck after you cook it. Man it's amazing.
3c3a75d5c1de2043355ccc3b1a704d0e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns

I wish I could - I know my way around a kitchen and although I’ve tried, I cannot stomach the taste of a diver. I love puddle ducks, but just can’t find an edible diving duck 🤢

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Not a fan of Brussels sprouts myself. But..a sauce of some sort makes the difference. Cheese, Hollandaise, sauce and I enjoy them.
My wife grows em in the garden. Still have that kinda funky smell when cooked...but flavor is night and day from store bought or frozen. Then she upped the ante and started doing em in the cast iron skillet with bacon ends. Call it cheating if you want but they’ve been my favorite veggie this year. Super hearty in cold weather too

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My wife grows em in the garden. Still have that kinda funky smell when cooked...but flavor is night and day from store bought or frozen. Then she upped the ante and started doing em in the cast iron skillet with bacon ends. Call it cheating if you want but they’ve been my favorite veggie this year. Super hearty in cold weather too

That’s about the only way I’ve found Brussels sprouts to be palatable. With bacon and butter in a cast iron skillet. Maybe add a touch of fresh cracked pepper, and a dash of Old Bay.

Otherwise, I’ll pass

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
hot skillet fast brown outside tender lean and moist inside. Only way to cook game on a skillet. Hopefully this week as have been seeing some mallards and woodies.

and back around: Brussel sprouts my favorite vegetable as well. Wife cuts in half, coats in olive oil, parm cheese, garlic, salt pepper n other seasons then bakes them.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I'll take the knock on the sprouts but I like 'em with any dark meat, but back to the secret, don't over cook it!!
Never tried the coots but I'm game for a first go around..... MY preference is puddle ducks...