First trip to the Florida keys

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Nice! I was there a couple weeks ago and had a blast. Hope the wind is behaving for you.

spoonriver

Floyd the Barber
Had a blast! Stayed on Conch Key. Our house had a dock on the gulf side that turned out to be a great place to fish. Caught jack crevalle,barracuda,juvenile tarpon,mangrove snappers,grunts,parrot fish, and nurse sharks. I had all intentions to rent a boat or spend time on one of the many bridges fishing but after seeing the aquarium like environment around my dock that was 10 yards away from the door I was content to stick around. Catching 15-25 lb tarpon on a 7 and a half foot rod with a Abu 5500 was fun. They liked small pin fish free lined and also liked plain ole' cut bait from some mullet I caught with the cast net.
Nice!! What is the green fish you are holding?
Parrot fish, I saw them a lot throughout the day nibbling on stuff that grew on the pier poles and boat hulls near by. I used a vey small hook and cut bait for them. I didn't target many of them though as they are known to be the street sweepers of the keys water. They fight like heck though.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Nice catch!

I had the same experience years ago. Planned on getting a boat and did, but after snorkeling around the place we were staying and seeing everything there, I mostly fished right off the dock.