First Trapping Experience

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
The beavers are flooding our lease and making things a mess. There have been periods of intense trapping on the property, but I had never done it before.

My wife really wanted a beaver pelt so I combined the two and set out to remove a beaver and get a pelt.

My first 2 attempts were foiled and the 330 was buried in mud. I had cleared a culvert they blocked, used sticks for a funnel, and laid a dive stick to entice it to dive into the trap.

Based on my failures I switched to a slide crossing a road. I put the 330 on the down side of the road halfway submerged. I opened the dam to create a little flow and let it sit.

My wife was really excited about the trapping so she had been going with me to check the first 2 sets. I planned to duck hunt first light and check the trap after.

Once we got to the spot to duck hunt she couldn’t wait and headed off on her own to check the trap. About the time the ducks stopped flying she came back with a beaver slung over her shoulder.

We found a new activity to share and will definitely be doing more trapping after duck season ends.905DDDC2-A3CF-4BAE-8DD3-C529ACE73328.jpegBB2310A2-0B55-47CE-9C9B-4C6850F58B9C.jpegD59D9B95-443E-403C-A18F-3EC0A2A1CC42.jpeg

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
I am definitely interested in the trapping workshops I just wish I didn’t have to make a choice to give up a turkey hunt in April.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
WTG!
You'd be wise to ask the wife for a late Christmas or early birthday or anniversary DVD gift called "Beaver Sites and Sets" by Paul Dobbins from right here in NC. Google Dobbins Products.
Didn't you come to the trappers convention? for the trapping demo's ?
Also, joining the NC Trappers Assn (Google it) gets you in the info loop of trappers ed classes and meets and fur sales/pick ups and conventions. Attending these shows guys you are serious and opened MANY doors for me.
AND, then you could contact officers off their site to ask for a mentor in your area.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
...making rookie mistakes will educate those rascals and make them harder to catch...….guaranteed...don't ask how I know.

Did you use a Sullivan Stabilizer or at least dead sticks UNDER the 330?
Did you blend it in well?

Investing in Paul's dvd will shorten your learning curve by a decade, at least......guaranteed.

Did you save the oil sacs and castors to sell to me or another lure maker?
Did you keep the meat to sell to me for making coyote bait?
I often trade for finished lure or baits.....ie, I offer 3 beaver lures on my site to trade you!

Your town or county are not in your profile, so I can't see how close you are to me, either.

PM me or email contact thru the button on my site (below) if ya need details or other info.

Last edited:

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
...making rookie mistakes will educate those rascals and make them harder to catch...….guaranteed...don't ask how I know.

Did you use a Sullivan Stabilizer or at least dead sticks UNDER the 330?
Did you blend it in well?

Investing in Paul's dvd will shorten your learning curve by a decade, at least......guaranteed.

Did you save the oil sacs and castors to sell to me or another lure maker?
Did you keep the meat to sell to me for making coyote bait?
I often trade for finished lure or baits.....ie, I offer 3 beaver lures on my site to trade you!

Your town or county are not in your profile, so I can't see how close you are to me, either.

PM me or email contact thru the button on my site (below) if ya need details or other info.

I've never been to a trapping convention. A buddy already claimed the castors. I'll be glad to do some trading when I start working on them after duck season. We are fairly close. I am in Raleigh.

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There are several ways to trap a beaver but I love the snares. Light weight to carry, simple to set and they won't try to pinch you ever. I've taken a bunch of beavers with the snares.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't think I'm ready for the advanced workshops yet. I have exactly 3 sets worth of experience trapping.
Then you have not developed a lot of bad habits you would need to unlearn.

I also recommend the basic Trapper Ed class but it is just the tip of the iceberg because it covers a little bit of everything. There will be more Basic classes added to the schedule as the volunteer instructors secure suitable locations and dates.

The Advanced Beaver workshop is an all day, hands on affair. You need not be concerned about your lack of beaver trapping experience.

In 2018 the NCTA main focus of the Advanced Workshops was Coyotes. In 2019, the NCTA main focus of the Advanced Workshops is Beaver and that schedule is pretty well set already. 2020 will likely be coyote again since that is lots of interest in trapping them.

41mag gave you some good info as well.

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
I thought it would be better to have more of a knowledge base. If that's not the case I will check the dates on the website again and see if I can attend one. It's definitely a skill set I'd like to learn more about.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
I thought it would be better to have more of a knowledge base. If that's not the case I will check the dates on the website again and see if I can attend one. It's definitely a skill set I'd like to learn more about.

The "ADVANCED" title is misleading IMO, but rather means "specific" instruction for a species, just like the Assn offers similar course for coyote trapping.

The course will give you the knowledge base to begin without making them smarter!

Joining us at www.nctrapper.proboards.com would benefit you as well!

Welcome to the "trapping addiction".

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator

I walked in to the basic trappers Ed class last spring not knowing ANYTHING. Didn’t even know what a 330 was or how to set a foothold trap or that we even had a lot of the critters we do here. Got phone numbers, joined the NC trapping forum, asked a million questions, got some books n dvds , and it blew the opportunities wide open. One of the coolest things besides catching fur is going duck hunting or deer hunting or trout fishing and having all that sign jump out at you that you never knew was there. And the NCTA convention was the best $5 entry fee I ever paid in my life