first time using goex FF

Thread starter #1
So I used FF Goex today for first time and was really impressed with it's ignition. Pyrodex always seemed to have a slight delay before firing. No delay at all with Goex. Has anyone found they shoot tighter groups with Goex?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
So I used FF Goex today for first time and was really impressed with it's ignition. Pyrodex always seemed to have a slight delay before firing. No delay at all with Goex. Has anyone found they shoot tighter groups with Goex?

you have "discovered" the secret of muzzleloading,,,,,,,welcome to the Circle,,,,,,,

I tried the "non-blackpowder" powder,,,,,unimpressed compared to real blackpowder,,,

• ignites better
  • cleans easier
  • shoots better
  • smells better (oh that smell!)
won't use anything else,,,guess that's why I have PLENTY here at the bunker,,,,I mean house,,,,,

I'd like to try FFF in my .54 sidelock rifle. How can you determine a safe load?
What might be safe in my gun may not be in yours, without knowing anything about yours it's hard to tell...

I will tell you that my target load is 50grs FFF and my hunting load is 80grs FFF...This is all that is needed for deer...I would feel fine using anywhere from 70-90grs in a .54 if it grouped well within that range...With round balls, it's not really about velocity as it is about the weight of the ball, funny thing about round balls, the faster you push them, the faster they slow down, so you hit a point were increasing powder really doesn't help out at 100 yards or so...

people would be surprised at the loads the "Mountan Men" used,,,,got to be careful how much powder you use per shot when you are a long way from resupply,,,,,,,,
And their powder wasn't nearly as good as what we have today...I've often considered dropping down to 50-60 grs just to see how much difference I saw, I bet within 50 yards or so, there won't me much...