first time using goex FF

cheapdate

Eight Pointer
So I used FF Goex today for first time and was really impressed with it's ignition. Pyrodex always seemed to have a slight delay before firing. No delay at all with Goex. Has anyone found they shoot tighter groups with Goex?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
So I used FF Goex today for first time and was really impressed with it's ignition. Pyrodex always seemed to have a slight delay before firing. No delay at all with Goex. Has anyone found they shoot tighter groups with Goex?

you have "discovered" the secret of muzzleloading,,,,,,,welcome to the Circle,,,,,,,

I tried the "non-blackpowder" powder,,,,,unimpressed compared to real blackpowder,,,

• ignites better
  • cleans easier
  • shoots better
  • smells better (oh that smell!)
won't use anything else,,,guess that's why I have PLENTY here at the bunker,,,,I mean house,,,,,

cheapdate

Eight Pointer
Yep, I have used Goex since the '70s...When inlines came out my buddies and I played with others but I went back to Goex as my flintlocks need it anyway...I went from FF to FFF in the '80s...
I'd like to try FFF in my .54 sidelock rifle. How can you determine a safe load?

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
I'd like to try FFF in my .54 sidelock rifle. How can you determine a safe load?

What might be safe in my gun may not be in yours, without knowing anything about yours it's hard to tell...

I will tell you that my target load is 50grs FFF and my hunting load is 80grs FFF...This is all that is needed for deer...I would feel fine using anywhere from 70-90grs in a .54 if it grouped well within that range...With round balls, it's not really about velocity as it is about the weight of the ball, funny thing about round balls, the faster you push them, the faster they slow down, so you hit a point were increasing powder really doesn't help out at 100 yards or so...

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
people would be surprised at the loads the "Mountan Men" used,,,,got to be careful how much powder you use per shot when you are a long way from resupply,,,,,,,,

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
people would be surprised at the loads the "Mountan Men" used,,,,got to be careful how much powder you use per shot when you are a long way from resupply,,,,,,,,

And their powder wasn't nearly as good as what we have today...I've often considered dropping down to 50-60 grs just to see how much difference I saw, I bet within 50 yards or so, there won't me much...

Clifford66

Button Buck
If I take my .54 Renegade hunting, it has goex in it! Last time I had it loaded with a substitute powder I got about a .25 second delay fire, causing me to miss the doe..

D. Buck Stopshere

Six Pointer
Real black powder can be shipped right to your door in either 5 pound, 10 pound or 25 pound cases. The more you buy to share with friends, the cheaper the pound of GOEX, Schuetzen or Swiss black powder.

Go to: www.powderinc.com for current prices. The price shown includes HazMat & shipping charges. We ordered up 25 pounds for nine friends. GOEX was about $19.00 per pound, including H-M & UPS. Click on the "Mix & Match" menu on the website.

Currently, GOEX is about $30/lb in five pound case, about $ 24/lb in a ten pound case, and about $19/lb in twenty-five pound case.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
you have "discovered" the secret of muzzleloading,,,,,,,welcome to the Circle,,,,,,,

I tried the "non-blackpowder" powder,,,,,unimpressed compared to real blackpowder,,,

• ignites better
  • cleans easier
  • shoots better
  • smells better (oh that smell!)
won't use anything else,,,guess that's why I have PLENTY here at the bunker,,,,I mean house,,,,,
I know it is good stuff. I use it for cannon, mortars, muskets, rifled muskets and handguns.
1f 2f and some 3f.
Easy to be had in 25 lb kegs.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
How is cleaning up after Goex compared to Pyrodex? I've always heard Goex was more corrosive.
Very easy.
I use moose milk. 50/50 Balistol and distilled water. Brush first then wet patch and repeat a few times then clean.
When I shoot matches I can get anyplace from 20 to 50 rounds before I need a total clean. Most the time just brush it every 10 to 16 rounds.