First time public game land turkey hunting tips

Chupita30

Button Buck
Hey all! Everyone was very helpful on my last post regarding things I'll need for my first turkey hunt so I thought I would reach out to everyone about hunting public game land. I have been deer hunting my whole life but I have never hunted public game land before. Are there any tips or warnings that you guys would like to share. I've heard horror stories but I also don't want to be afraid to take advantage of OUR public land in this country. I drew a permit to hunt Second Creek. Not sure if anyone has experience on that specific land. Thanks in advance for the help!

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Number one rule is safety never get near where someone else is working a bird that is dangerous living have backup plan if someone in your original area. Remember turkey hunting isn't like deer couple people can hint 100 acres for deer for birds require more land. If there isbpule people in area move on to another spot

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Scout it smartly, find as many toms as you can and have a plan A, plan B, plan C.........and so forth. Be adaptable and roll with the changes. If somebody is where you want to be, move on to the next spot you have. You are going to run into other people that's just part of it. I try my best to steer clear of other people and I don't intentionally go in on other people, hope they do the same for me. The horror stories aren't all they're cracked up to be, at least it hasn't been for me.

GTO ONE

Eight Pointer
If you pull up to a gate, and someone is already there, move on to another place; try not to walk in on someone’s set up. The earlier you get there, the less likely this will be a problem. If you end up walking in on someone, be apologetic and move on; if they walk in on you be polite but let them know you are there. Google Earth helps with scouting, but if you don’t put boots on the ground looking for signs you are probably wasting your time. I don’t use a gobble as a locator call on public land, If you do you are as likely to attract another hunter as a Tom...

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
If your on public and have one gobbling always assume some one else hears him to for safety reasons keep eye out some people will sneak in to be jerks some will on complete accident. Its just way it is ever one is listening for the gobble and especially when in tree and leaves aren't on them gobbles carry ling way. Also most all game land has more than one entry point so never assume your alone even if you've walked miles

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Public land is full blown chaos and not worth it ......I’m kidding

I’d say 75% of my turkey hunting is on public land, I like to run and gun and stretch my legs so big tracts of public is where I go

Like these guys said above, just keep in mind the safety aspects and don’t get discouraged if you see other vehicles or hunters. Have a few plans and be safe and it works out for everyone. Good luck

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'd recommend you carry a blaze orange hanky, hat or something you can pull out of your vest and wave if you see someone stalking YOU, thinking your calling is a real hen. Don't hesitate to stand up and holler either, if necessary. DO NOT use a gobbler call, unless you want to be surrounded by every other hunter on the game land and converging on you. Be careful with decoys also. Folks have shot at them more than once, thinking it was a real bird. You don't want to be in the line of fire in case there is an idiot out.
Also, depending upon which game land be cognizant of non-hunters, hikers, dog walking etc. that are using the game land and might foul up your hunt. Like GTO One said, if I pull up to a game land and someone has beat me to that spot, I move on. So, it's a good idea to have a couple of back up spots to go to, just in case.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
'd recommend you carry a blaze orange hanky, hat or something you can pull out of your vest and wave if you see someone stalking YOU, thinking your calling is a real hen.

I carry one every where I hunt,,,,never know when you need to signal a person

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Hey all! Everyone was very helpful on my last post regarding things I'll need for my first turkey hunt so I thought I would reach out to everyone about hunting public game land. I have been deer hunting my whole life but I have never hunted public game land before. Are there any tips or warnings that you guys would like to share. I've heard horror stories but I also don't want to be afraid to take advantage of OUR public land in this country. I drew a permit to hunt Second Creek. Not sure if anyone has experience on that specific land. Thanks in advance for the help!
Concede.
Relocate.
Or at least try to follow that. Some folks can really test you on PL and in hindsight it's not worth the bother.
You'll sometimes not know others are in the area when the conflicts occur and some times they tell you to kiss their ass as they pass you going to a bird you are playing with.
I unfortunately cant always follow my advice to you but I really try.
IME multiple hunters messing with a bird leads to no one killing it. Let the completion play first then go back later.
Two possibilities, he doesn't kill the bird and he's still there or even if one dies in a spot there could be others use the area.

Folks have different perspectives on public depending on where they hunt it. Lotsa room on national forests, not so much on smaller accessible tracts.

Good Luck Chupita 30. you learn to kill them on PL it's all downhill after that. Private is a piece of cake.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
There are plenty of public land opportunities available, and if you will take to heart and apply all the safety protocols suggested here, you'll be fine. Bottom line, you just need to hunt very defensively. I've had a couple close calls on public land....one of them real close. You've just gotta pay close attention and be extra careful. The upside? With few exceptions, the gobblers you kill on public land will be hard-earned and much-appreciated! You'll put a mental star beside those memories, I promise you.

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
I have had great luck on the NF lands and dont ever find them to be over crowded, at least the one I hunt most. I have run into a few guys out there hunting birds but they have all be polite and we have had good conversation. Just use your head and you will be fine.