First time in several years in the pen

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
A friend of mine is pretty serious about field trailing and has had some very nice hounds in the last few years. He's been trying to get me to start back. I use to be into it pretty big myself. At one time I had close to 30 dogs from pups, running dogs to retired hounds and brood females. Between my dad having a stroke and passing away and getting married I got out of hounds completely for a couple years due to lack of time and other priorities, always loved it and missed it though. I started back deer dogging a couple years ago. Long short I went to a buddies pen last weekend and ran my deer dogs. They are as fat as I am but they still made the coyotes move. My buddy had some field trial dogs there that drug mine around until they had enough of it. No one likes to deer hunt and run on the outside more than me but man is it nice to turn loose and just kick back. No worrying about roads, property lines or the wrong game. I made some great friends going all over NC and SC too field trials. Not going to swear I won't get back into it. My son is getting to the age where he is starting to go with me. Much easier to take him to the fox pen than running on the outside. If he really takes a liking to it I might just have to get serious once again.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I have had several of my friends go back to trialing when their children got old enough and enjoyed it. I personally think it can be a great way to spend time with friends and family, especially when all enjoy the hounds. It's a great way to create some awesome memories.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don’t care to run my hunting dogs in the pens at all. I enjoy hearing dogs run period so I would enjoy just going and listening.

I most likely will be able to finish my hunting career running outside but if I was a younger man I would consider an alternative like this because obviously outside running is in its twilight.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Tim said it best. Hound hunting is certainly in its twilight. I couldn't put an estimate on how long we have left but I am certain we have considerably more time behind us than ahead of us. Between legislation, development and large land owners shying away from dog hunting the end is approaching rather quickly. One of my dads old hunting buddies road with me to the fox pen a number of years back. He was an old school fox hunter. No tracking collars, no deer running, no fancy dog boxes and no fox pens. Not one to beat around the bush or hold back words when we left he thanked me for inviting him but said running in a pen wasn't his cup of tea and doubted he would go back with me again. He said I was born 40 years too late if I wanted to be a dog hunter. He told me stories about running fox on the outside around Cabarrus and Rowan counties before the deer and Yankees moved in. He went on to tell me that he did reckon the pen running was better than nothing and could understand why I was doing it. I've still got some good places to run and hunt on the outside between my club in Richmond County and Brunswick County. Again, not sure how much long either will last. I'd say the Greenswamp in Brunswick County will likely be one of the last places to see hound hunting end unless the ownership or rules change within the paper companies. With my son the age he is its nice to have the worry free environment of a pen. I can get him on top of crossings and keep him interested easily. Hopefully it is something he may take a real interest in and it will be something he and I can do together for a number of years.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If I was your age and had a son that I wanted to keep interested in running dogs I wouldn’t think twice about it. I am afraid before this ends we all may see it get real aggravating to hunt on the outside. Probably not the environment I would want to throw young ones in.

The sad thing is they are going after the pens. I heard of a new one wanting to start up and some of the excuses the people were giving to stop it was ludicrous.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: DRS