First time food plot help.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Ive got about an acre disc up on our farm and want to try a food plot. Ive been reading and watching YouTube. I don't care about growing huge bucks, yes that's nice but with only 50 acres and neighbors not on the same page it wont happen. I just want to plant something that will feed and draw deer. Theres a list of products and blends a mile to to plant for deer. I assume some work better than others and some are easier to grow than others. Just curious what some of y'all have had luck with as far as good plots ? If anyone would like to share a quick rundown of their planting process from breaking ground, planting fertilizing etc that would be awesome as well. Also heard some say a soil test is a must, not sure who does that or how long that would take but certainly would consider it. I have heard yay and nay on the soil test.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yes on the soil test but if you choose not to do one go ahead and put a ton of lime per acre. Most plants that we all plant like a neutral or even a sweet soil PH.
As far as fertilization it's typical to use 40 pounds of nitrogen per acre on grains and brassicas and little or none on clover. The first number on your fertilizer is the % of nitrogen in the bag...so if you're working with 10-10-10 and a 40 pound bag, then 4 pounds of that bag is nitrogen.
It's always best to kill the plot before planting, even before tilling if possible, with glysophate. It makes things much better later in the cycle and even better the following year.
For the first time food plot planter I'd recommend sticking with an annual mix like grains and crimson clover with a side dressing of brassicas. Oats are the premium early draw in grains, then winter wheat for green stuff that lasts through the season, then rye grain for foolproof plot that can be reseeded even in December around these parts. Save a side for brassicas/Crimson clover which should be planted now...the grains will be planted somewhere around Labor Day. 100 pounds of grain seed per acre, re-seed in late November or early December with an additional 100 pounds broadcast on top. 15 pounds of crimson clover per acre and at least 6-8 pounds of radish, turnip, rape ect per acre of brassicas blend. Keep an idea of square footage and adjust the seeds per square foot of planting surface.
Disk or till and pack the brassicas/clover side then broadcast and pack again for good seed contact. Leave the grain side rough , broadcast or drill the grains and cover with an inch or so of soil and run over it with a packer once. You've just planted a sure fire food plot if you're graced with rain.
This plot will draw deer, stay green and palatable all season and last through turkey season in the Spring.
BTW..seed from any ag store will work as good or better than those expensive mixes. Just make sure you get inoculated clover seed.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Yes on the soil test but if you choose not to do one go ahead and put a ton of lime per acre. Most plants that we all plant like a neutral or even a sweet soil PH.
As far as fertilization it's typical to use 40 pounds of nitrogen per acre on grains and brassicas and little or none on clover. The first number on your fertilizer is the % of nitrogen in the bag...so if you're working with 10-10-10 and a 40 pound bag, then 4 pounds of that bag is nitrogen.
It's always best to kill the plot before planting, even before tilling if possible, with glysophate. It makes things much better later in the cycle and even better the following year.
For the first time food plot planter I'd recommend sticking with an annual mix like grains and crimson clover with a side dressing of brassicas. Oats are the premium early draw in grains, then winter wheat for green stuff that lasts through the season, then rye grain for foolproof plot that can be reseeded even in December around these parts. Save a side for brassicas/Crimson clover which should be planted now...the grains will be planted somewhere around Labor Day. 100 pounds of grain seed per acre, re-seed in late November or early December with an additional 100 pounds broadcast on top. 15 pounds of crimson clover per acre and at least 6-8 pounds of radish, turnip, rape ect per acre of brassicas blend. Keep an idea of square footage and adjust the seeds per square foot of planting surface.
Disk or till and pack the brassicas/clover side then broadcast and pack again for good seed contact. Leave the grain side rough , broadcast or drill the grains and cover with an inch or so of soil and run over it with a packer once. You've just planted a sure fire food plot if you're graced with rain.
This plot will draw deer, stay green and palatable all season and last through turkey season in the Spring.
BTW..seed from any ag store will work as good or better than those expensive mixes. Just make sure you get inoculated clover seed.
@wildcat3

@Eric Revo nailed it !

All the info you need in the 1st response. Good Luck !

timber

Twelve Pointer
I always tryed keep it simple. Soil test can help but not a necessityi. If it is land that hasnt been in crops i would put out about20 bags of lime amd 8 to 10 bags of triple 10 or triple 13. I have found this year the triple 13 was a little cheaper. Would go with some oats and australian winter peas and try some greens mixed in. Find out what the deer will eat. About the only thing here i have seen eat the turnips are the worms. Never saw where the deer ate them but others say they have luck with them. Guess depends on location and what elae they have to eat. Here there are plenty peanuts corn and beans. Never been big on the clovers because there is a plenty clover scattered around.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Wildcat3, I am sowing a mixture of Canmore oats and chicory about 1st week of Sept. Deer love this and easy to grow in the fall. The chicory puts down a long root and can take dry weather good, leaves look like kinda like a dandelion. Bought my seed at Clifton Seed Co. in Faison, N.C. Just disked and turned over land yesterday, will put out some lime and 10-10-10 probably next week and then sow. With all the rain we had the soil is in good shape and should be cooling off before long.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Eric is right on all points but if you want simplicity on your 1 acre plot then,
Go ahead and lime it a ton to the acre. Get a soil test whenever you can but you can go ahead and seed Durana clover now with some oats. When the soil test comes back and then fix what you need to do with the soil. The Durana clover will hang on till then. Come next Spring the Durana clover is gonna look good and the deer are gonna enjoy it from now on and all you will need to do is mow, lime, fertilize, and reseed in the Fall as needed.
Planting Durana clover is the best thing you can plant hands down. Deer eat on mine in Rockingham and Harnett county all year long. I have not been disappointed.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
You want really cheap?

Since it's disced up wait until you see some grass coming up and spray it with glyphosate and then right before a rain spread rye grain, or Wheat or Oats(or a little of it all mixed together) with some 10-10-10 fertilizer and call it good.

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Eric is right on all points but if you want simplicity on your 1 acre plot then,
Go ahead and lime it a ton to the acre. Get a soil test whenever you can but you can go ahead and seed Durana clover now with some oats. When the soil test comes back and then fix what you need to do with the soil. The Durana clover will hang on till then. Come next Spring the Durana clover is gonna look good and the deer are gonna enjoy it from now on and all you will need to do is mow, lime, fertilize, and reseed in the Fall as needed.
Planting Durana clover is the best thing you can plant hands down. Deer eat on mine in Rockingham and Harnett county all year long. I have not been disappointed.
Good advice right here, but I would opt for ladino clover, or better yet a mix of ladino and crimson. Durana is a great product but the difference in price generally does not translate to increased performance, at least not proportionately.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good advice right here, but I would opt for ladino clover, or better yet a mix of ladino and crimson. Durana is a great product but the difference in price generally does not translate to increased performance, at least not proportionately.
The ladino won't last under constant grazing like Durana. I used ladino for 4 years up in Rockingham County and every year I would lose all of it. I have not lost any of my Durana so far to over grazing

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
Oats or rye, clover, & turnips work great. Spread fertilizer, disk or till, spread seed, then pack or lightly till again & you’re set.

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
The ladino won't last under constant grazing like Durana. I used ladino for 4 years up in Rockingham County and every year I would lose all of it. I have not lost any of my Durana so far to over grazing
Well, heavy pressure on my ladino clover year-round. It is hanging tough. This is right next door in Stokes and Surry.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
Well, heavy pressure on my ladino clover year-round. It is hanging tough. This is right next door in Stokes and Surry.
Imho Ladino will get much more pressure than Durana . But is that not what clover is planted for? I have planted both ,Durana seems to survive better when it gets hot and dry but my Ladino has always come right back with rain and cooler temps. Wilkes co.

Last edited:

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think the deer may actually prefer ladino thats why they just absolutely mow it down. Durana grows slower than Ladino . I thought the Durana was gone this year in places but it has all came back. I planted Durana in Harnett last year and the deer dont mow it down but they graze on it regularly.

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I think the deer may actually prefer ladino thats why they just absolutely mow it down. Durana grows slower than Ladino . I thought the Durana was gone this year in places but it has all came back. I planted Durana in Harnett last year and the deer dont mow it down but they graze on it regularly.
Yeah. I recall you mentioning that some of your clover was struggling this summer. Glad it came right back. I had the same thing happen. About half of one 2 acre plot of ladino looked like it was just about gone. Not dead. Gone. After finally getting a fair amount of rain, it came right back and is looking normal again.