First Hummingbird Sighting Of 2019!

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Spotted our first 2 weekends ago. And another one this past weekend.

Last edited:

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I just hung a feeder up out back in Orange County … then I came here to remind folks to do the same. Searched to see if there was already a thread, and Aya beat me to it. LOL We usually see our first on April 5 or 6. Haven't seen one yet, but will let you know.

BamBam

Eight Pointer
Put up two feeders yesterday afternoon,, one empty this evening. Hungry in Franklin Co.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Put mine up today. May have procrastinated a bit, but wasn't expecting any for another week or so..

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
We have some that are here year round on the Outer Banks but I hadn't seen one in a while until today.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Have our first visitor of the season. With the weather being what it has been, I just put up a couple of feeders yesterday. Have one coming in this afternoon.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I put my feeders out last Wed or Thurs. today was the first I have seen of any. But there are a pair at least on them.

odie408

Ten Pointer
That wind last night must have blown in 15 or 20. Had 2 or 3 till this morning now they are buzzing like bees.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I hung ours last week and it wa leaking so I went and bought a new one. As I was carrying it out one buzzed my ear and scared the life out of me. We had a few last year and they only went to the cheap walmart one that broke. The new one is the same style but bigger. They have been hitting it pretty hard as it will have to be filled again by tomorrow night.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
So far, all we're seeing are a number of "scouts" (males). The girls haven't shown up yet, but we expect them soon.

.. Oh .. wait … THE GIRLS ARE FINALLY HERE!

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
My feeder was getting a bit ratty at the end of the season last year so I scrapped it and failed to get a new one.
Yesterday my wife and I were sitting out in the entrance way watching the rain and a hummer came up and hovered where my feeder is usually hanging, then took off. That answers the question of whether the birds return to the same place from year to year. Now I have to get to Wally's and get a feeder up to hold the birds.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Wanted to revisit this thread to get others feedback. As I posted earlier, I put up feeders in early April and had visitors beginning the next day. They hung around for just a few days and disappeared. Have not seen another until yesterday, with that being a single smallish bird. Have seen it several times from yesterday to this morning.
Would this be considered normal? Were the first birds possibly just passing through? This is in south central NC. Not sure I've seen this in the past, but actually put out the feeders earlier this year than usual.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I'm no hummingbird expert but I have noticed fluctuations in activity during the course of the year. I always thought the initial activity were birds passing through. Then the residents settle in and there is usually consistent activity. I have also made their juice not to their liking. I have on occasion mis-counted the sugar.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Wanted to revisit this thread to get others feedback. As I posted earlier, I put up feeders in early April and had visitors beginning the next day. They hung around for just a few days and disappeared. Have not seen another until yesterday, with that being a single smallish bird. Have seen it several times from yesterday to this morning.
Would this be considered normal? Were the first birds possibly just passing through? This is in south central NC. Not sure I've seen this in the past, but actually put out the feeders earlier this year than usual.

Its possible they were just transits passing through. Another possibility is available food sources; when the honeysuckle starts blooming in our area, I'll notice a dramatic drop in feeder visits for a week or two.