First Day Mountain Bear Season

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Getting ready to load the hounds up,going to be hunting some new land I got that borders a tract that I have hunted for years,Saw some nice size tracks in it when we were riding the roads yesterday afternoon expect to have a large time today.Good luck to everybody hunting today.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Good luck Sir - hope the bears tree well and the dogs come out unscathed!

seen a few fellows bear hunting with hounds during the Maine boondoggle,,,,some serious bear country up there

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Good luck Sir - hope the bears tree well and the dogs come out unscathed!

seen a few fellows bear hunting with hounds during the Maine boondoggle,,,,some serious bear country up there

Thank you,I have bear hunted in Maine several times it is some serious bear country.We had a very good day took 2,didn't drop the hounds until about 7:45 struck a couple of tracks before then but one was a sow with cubs and the other was a small bear,next track we struck had a good size foot on him turned 2 hounds on him they opened up on him about 100 yards off the road and I turn the other 10 to them wasn't long before the chase was on.He bayed up 2 1/2 hours later got to him fairly quick a young woman on her first hunt with us were she could actually shoot one took him 388lb boar.After we got that one out I drove down the road hadn't gone a 1000 yards when the hounds struck another one going into the block right beside the block we had just come out of got set-up turned the hounds 2 hours later he treed another young lady 16 years old took that one,her dad hunts with me all the time this was the first time she has ever been hunting with us it was a nice 357lb boar.No dogs got hurt,took 2 bear,and some first time hunters took the bear all in all a great day.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Two hooked for life now....sounds like a great hunt.

Well they liked the part about hearing the hounds run and getting a chance to shoot a bear but as with alot of hunters I don't think they liked the part about getting the bear out of the woods even with my winches it can sometimes be a job.As I told them compared to the way I had to do it when I was their age its nowhere near as hard.It surprised me they even got into the skinning gutting part.

Last edited:

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Last time I hunted in Madison county it took us just under 3 hours to get to the tree.

bugg

Eight Pointer
Two hooked for life now....sounds like a great hunt.

Well they liked the part about hearing the hounds run and getting a chance to shoot a bear but as with alot of hunters I don't think they liked the part about getting the bear out of the woods even with my winches it can sometimes be a job.As I told them compared to the way I had to do it when I was their age its nowhere near as hard.It surprised me they even got into the skinning gutting part.

Congrats to you and your group on a successful day! I missed all the opening week events due to work. Sure do wish I could have joined in on the fun.

One thought though, I never understand why more people don’t quarter them the field and pack the meat out. Dragging an animal that size any distance is not something I like doing if I don’t have to.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A liberal idiot caught a dog up there beside the road removed two tracking collars and a regular collar all with the owner's name and contact info. on it and took the dog to an adjacent county. What she didn't know was she was doing it and the person got her tag. She is in a heap of hurt right now.

And before anyone asks, no, she wasn't on her land when she did it. The dog was on NF land.

Frostcat

Twelve Pointer
A liberal idiot caught a dog up there beside the road removed two tracking collars and a regular collar all with the owner's name and contact info. on it and took the dog to an adjacent county. What she didn't know was she was doing it and the person got her tag. She is in a heap of hurt right now.

And before anyone asks, no, she wasn't on her land when she did it. The dog was on NF land.

Happens a lot here

DRS

Old Mossy Horns

I hate when that happens, but I love it when one of these dog theives get what they deserve. Well, I really don't think they really got what they needed to.

RJ1

Ten Pointer

Had one do that to one of my young bear hounds a couple of years ago however she did not remove the collars,she stopped for gas I tracked the hound right to the station but waited until she crossed the county line Sheriff pulled her over an charged her with larceny.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Packed up Tuesday headed to the house going to give the hounds a few days extra rest,heading to the camp downeast Thursday and get set up for the start of the eastern season.Mountain season has been good took some nice bear nothing record breaking but some good bear,3 are getting mounted 2 first bears taken by young hunters and 1 taken by a young Marine.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Do y’all hunt the second leg of the mountain season much? I’ve hunted with guys who said it was a waste of time hunting the second split of the the western season but also know a group that will hunt and tree bear the second split. A personal pref thing I imagine ?

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Do y’all hunt the second leg of the mountain season much? I’ve hunted with guys who said it was a waste of time hunting the second split of the the western season but also know a group that will hunt and tree bear the second split. A personal pref thing I imagine ?

Sometimes I will.

SUDDEN IMPACT

Eight Pointer
Record number of bears killed so far this season. Usually by now they get kinda thin. You can still go and turn loose on a hot track daily.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Today is is a washout for me as far as running the hounds,but that's alright we have had a real good start to eastern bear season got some guys heading home tonight got a few hanging in the cooler we are going to split up and send them home with plenty of meat. Maybe put on a couple of pots of bear stew for tonight's dinner and just set around clubhouse talk dogs and hunting don't get no better than that.

surffishn

Spike
RJ1. I just read this thread. Kudos to you and guys you hunt with. For getting ladies and younger folks educated on the proper way to hunt bear.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
RJ1. I just read this thread. Kudos to you and guys you hunt with. For getting ladies and younger folks educated on the proper way to hunt bear.

Thanks,but isn't that what its all about.With the attacks on all types hunting these days the more people you can get involved in it and show them how to do it the right way the better off everybody is no matter what you hunt or how you hunt it.I try and show them that all the bad things you hear about hunters that use hounds to hunt bear is not true about most of us.Its kinda like today I could be out hunting but with all the rain we had why should I be out there tearing up club or private land owners roads its not like this is the last day of the season.