First day in the woods with the hounds

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
What a day what a day. I’ve talked about the foster kid I’ve mentored( also known as The Boy and getting back in touch with him). I had already committed to taking him to scout some land in Tennessee when I got the call about running dogs. Told them I’d love to go but I couldn’t leave him hangin, so if they didn’t want him going, there was no hard feelings but I had to go spend time with him. The fellers told me to bring him along. Woke up at 5 and picked him up in Tennessee. Made it back in time to meet at the farm at 7am. Loaded up 3 trucks full of dogs, 7 men, The Boy, and two young girls that came with their dad. Ages ranged from 12 to 80. Took one man’s really good strike dog and had him work out a track and then we started turning loose as he told us to. Me , The Boy , and a guy in his early 20s were assigned to retrieving dogs and going to the tree. While being on our first race, a second bear was bumped and it crossed the two track road 50 yds from us. Decent sized bear. One dog treed a cub solo and we pulled him off. The next tree we got to just in time to see the bear jump out and take off. The day ended with a big bear treed on a high ridge. Part of that uphill climb to the dogs included a 300 yard struggle thru a thicket Of nothing but stinging nettles and briers. Took us forever to get to the dogs and by that time he was well rested. We crawled to the tree thru a laurel and rhodo thicket and he was ready to run again.Hearing those dogs explode when he hit the ground was awesome. Thought the dogs were gonna tree again quickly but it turned into another race. Let the dogs run it down the mountain till the other guys were able to pull them off at the road. Dogs were wore slap out and we were tired and hungry. We clocked a total of just over 6 miles climbing up n down those ridges. I know that’s nothing groundbreaking but it was a good workout on that terrain.Brad the kid in his early 20s tell me “I can’t believe you’re 34. You move pretty good in the mountains for a guy that’s as old as you are.” And he meant it as a compliment not a joke 😂 Got all the dogs squared away and parted ways with everyone. I took The Boy to pick out a good pair of boots, Got us some lunch, and drove him back to Tennessee. It was a great day and it’s definitely once of my best experiences in the woods. The first of many to come. It’ll be cool to see the dogs progress thru the season as they get back in their groove.

Working our way to a tree with the new young dogs on leads
DDA29258-AEE3-4BC4-888F-EBDD9DE37565.jpeg
View from the tree to the property that borders my house
95D61E66-B4E3-42F6-93B2-86FB5FDE0EF1.jpeg

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Man I know you had fun. As a side note there is NOTHING I hate worse then leading a dog through that :donk:donk:donk:donk.

Last edited:

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
What a day what a day. I’ve talked about the foster kid I’ve mentored( also known as The Boy and getting back in touch with him). I had already committed to taking him to scout some land in Tennessee when I got the call about running dogs. Told them I’d love to go but I couldn’t leave him hangin, so if they didn’t want him going, there was no hard feelings but I had to go spend time with him. The fellers told me to bring him along. Woke up at 5 and picked him up in Tennessee. Made it back in time to meet at the farm at 7am. Loaded up 3 trucks full of dogs, 7 men, The Boy, and two young girls that came with their dad. Ages ranged from 12 to 80. Took one man’s really good strike dog and had him work out a track and then we started turning loose as he told us to. Me , The Boy , and a guy in his early 20s were assigned to retrieving dogs and going to the tree. While being on our first race, a second bear was bumped and it crossed the two track road 50 yds from us. Decent sized bear. One dog treed a cub solo and we pulled him off. The next tree we got to just in time to see the bear jump out and take off. The day ended with a big bear treed on a high ridge. Part of that uphill climb to the dogs included a 300 yard struggle thru a thicket Of nothing but stinging nettles and briers. Took us forever to get to the dogs and by that time he was well rested. We crawled to the tree thru a laurel and rhodo thicket and he was ready to run again.Hearing those dogs explode when he hit the ground was awesome. Thought the dogs were gonna tree again quickly but it turned into another race. Let the dogs run it down the mountain till the other guys were able to pull them off at the road. Dogs were wore slap out and we were tired and hungry. We clocked a total of just over 6 miles climbing up n down those ridges. I know that’s nothing groundbreaking but it was a good workout on that terrain.Brad the kid in his early 20s tell me “I can’t believe you’re 34. You move pretty good in the mountains for a guy that’s as old as you are.” And he meant it as a compliment not a joke 😂 Got all the dogs squared away and parted ways with everyone. I took The Boy to pick out a good pair of boots, Got us some lunch, and drove him back to Tennessee. It was a great day and it’s definitely once of my best experiences in the woods. The first of many to come. It’ll be cool to see the dogs progress thru the season as they get back in their groove.

Working our way to a tree with the new young dogs on leads
View attachment 51091
View from the tree to the property that borders my house
View attachment 51092
You’re a good man, brother

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Man I know you had fun. As a side note there is NOTHING I hate worse then leading a dog through that :donk:donk:donk:donk.
I hear that. That's what the Garmin is for. I know we are talking about different types of dogs, but I have walked a pack of hounds out of the woods more than once without any leads. Then again, the lead does take any question out of it.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I hear that. That's what the Garmin is for. I know we are talking about different types of dogs, but I have walked a pack of hounds out of the woods more than once without any leads. Then again, the lead does take any question out of it.
Yep, my coon/squirrel dogs are broke to when I drop the lead they fall in behind me and follow. I am not going to lead one through that crap. Now my deer dogs don't have that good of manners. But I can mash that tone button and they will come running. So I don't have to go get them.

Reactions: RJ1

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Its best to get bear hounds broke to a lead for couple of reasons, if I'm running in the off season and I pull them off a treed without a lead on them they are going to go back to the treed bear, if its hunting season most of the time there will be a bear to drag out and again without a lead on them they will not leave the bear that what they are trained to do. Once I get them to the truck they will load up on there own.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Its best to get bear hounds broke to a lead for couple of reasons, if I'm running in the off season and I pull them off a treed without a lead on them they are going to go back to the treed bear, if its hunting season most of the time there will be a bear to drag out and again without a lead on them they will not leave the bear that what they are trained to do. Once I get them to the truck they will load up on there own.
Great point. Definitely how these guys seemed to operate as well

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Does your little trapping buddy being The Boy make you the Old Man? Because if it does, you are both in for some adventures. :D

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
Lmao I’ll have to consult the fellers I hunt with on this one. Although Bluedog man is already jumping at the opportunity to call me old
Not to derail but rather not sure if I missed it In another post.. were you able to work out that the Boy does or doesn’t need to purchase anything to be legal in N.C. and Tennessee for big game? I along with several others Here would be happy to make it happen. Small words with big ❤️ from me but I commend you for what u have been thru, are doing with your life, and the mentoring u are doing. Gas money and a license would be a small token of appreciation...

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
Not to derail but rather not sure if I missed it In another post.. were you able to work out that the Boy does or doesn’t need to purchase anything to be legal in N.C. and Tennessee for big game? I along with several others Here would be happy to make it happen. Small words with big ❤ from me but I commend you for what u have been thru, are doing with your life, and the mentoring u are doing. Gas money and a license would be a small token of appreciation...
I second this. If needed we will round up what we need to get him his licenses and in the woods

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Not to derail but rather not sure if I missed it In another post.. were you able to work out that the Boy does or doesn’t need to purchase anything to be legal in N.C. and Tennessee for big game? I along with several others Here would be happy to make it happen. Small words with big ❤ from me but I commend you for what u have been thru, are doing with your life, and the mentoring u are doing. Gas money and a license would be a small token of appreciation...
Looks like he’s good to go in N.C. till he’s 16. For big game I’ll have to get him a harvest report card but it’s free for kids under 16. As far as TN, @Bluedogman helped me figure that out and it’s less than $15 to get him set up. Now I’m just chipping away at some gear. Got his boots covered. Wife and I are thinking about not spending money on ourselves for Xmas and using it to get him some good quality clothes and a gun. Appreciate your kind words. I say it all the time. The outdoors saved my life. Well, technically I believe it was God...but I was a hard headed s.o.b. ...so He led me to the outdoors , which led me to Him . Now it’s just one big revolving pattern of blessings and new experiences

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
Looks like he’s good to go in N.C. till he’s 16. For big game I’ll have to get him a harvest report card but it’s free for kids under 16. As far as TN, @Bluedogman helped me figure that out and it’s less than $15 to get him set up. Now I’m just chipping away at some gear. Got his boots covered. Wife and I are thinking about not spending money on ourselves for Xmas and using it to get him some good quality clothes and a gun. Appreciate your kind words. I say it all the time. The outdoors saved my life. Well, technically I believe it was God...but I was a hard headed s.o.b. ...so He led me to the outdoors , which led me to Him . Now it’s just one big revolving pattern of blessings and new experiences
What size is the boy?