Firearm Inheritance?

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
Just wondering if a family member dies and you are the only player to receive the firearms (pistols), do you need to register it, just grab it, do the Sergeant Schultz: "I see nothing" ...Just wondering.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
There is no system of "registration" in NC outside of pistol purchase permits and concealed carry permits. The official language concerning lawful transfers is listed below:

Under North Carolina law, it is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to sell, give away, transfer, purchase, or receive, at any place in the State, any pistol, unless the purchaser or receiver has first obtained a license or permit to receive such a pistol by the sheriff of the county where the purchaser or receiver resides, or the purchaser or receiver possesses a valid North Carolina issued concealed carry permit. This requirement to obtain a permit prior to the transfer of a pistol applies not only to a commercial transaction, typically at a sporting goods store, but also between private individuals or companies throughout North Carolina. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14- 402(a).

In addition, this State law has been interpreted to require that a pistol permit be obtained by the receiver of a handgun when such person inherits a pistol as a result of the death of another person. The permit should be given to and retained by the seller or donor of the handgun. In such a case, the permit should be given to the executor or receiver of the estate of the deceased person. If the purchaser or receiver uses a North Carolina-issued concealed carry permit for the transfer, the seller should reference such permit on a bill of sale.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Was there a will?

If not, need to probate the estate - someone will perform as executor/executrix

If CCP holder same provisions as if buying from someone else as an inheritance is considered a transfer as posted by 41mag

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Also got to look at the state....
If they are in a com block or Shaggy state you could have added problems and reason to follow their laws.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The context for any transfer discussed here would have to be intrastate (involving NC residents) as NC law has no effect on any interstate firearms transaction.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
The context for any transfer discussed here would have to be intrastate (involving NC residents) as NC law has no effect on any interstate firearms transaction.
That is why I said that. The OP did not give much info as to area, state or otherwise.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
(3)
for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, the State where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State,
except that this paragraph (A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State,
(B) shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a firearm obtained in conformity with subsection (b)(3) of this section, and (C) shall not apply to the transportation of any firearm acquired in any State prior to the effective date of this chapter

Federal law on inheritance

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
"You lost the inherited guns in some terrible boating accident."

None, I had the Terrible Boating Accident. Life Sucks and lost all my goods! But my son will be happy!