Fire

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
Just got off the phone with the man who owns the land nexts to my hunting land. He had a fire get away from him and burn about 7 acres of mine. I have not seen the damage yet, will check on Monday . If i have had any losses how would be the best way to go about seeking restitution. Not wanting to make a big deal of this ,but would like to make sure i am reimbursed for any damages. I figured someone on here may have run across this type thing in the past. All advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
Fire can be a good thing, he may have done you a favor
You are right. From what i know at this point it burnt about 1 acre of a 12 acre scrub field ,I wish it had burnt it all. That leaves about 6 acres of 15 year old planted pines' hope it did not get hot enough to kill them , just burn the trash out.

Last edited:

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
The fear of a prescribed burn escaping and the liability associated with an escaped fire is one of the main reason for decline in prescribed burning across the nation. By all means, if you incurred real damage and lose approach him about restitution, but if not maybe approach it another way. You could work with him to help you conduct burns on your property in the future. The idea of neighbors helping neighbors with burning is catching on with two Prescribed Burning Associations in the sandhill region. May be able to do the same thing in the foot hills.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
15 year old pines should be fine. You should burn the entire block every other year along with the scrub field. You will see a noticeable uptick of wildlife in your area post burning. Burning is one of the best, and free, ways you can improve habitat but sadly not many do it. I burn everything I can. A well disced fire brake can keep most burns controlled. Most people are so afraid of burning nowadays you dont see it occur much.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Have a professional forrester cruise it and give your neighbor the report. Whether either of you choose to pursue it further is up to both of you.
Likely he just did you a favor in the long run, unless trees of value were girdled.

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Sorry Georgee, did not see the description of the 15 year old pines till after I responded. Hopefully trees will be OK it production is one of your main objectives for the pine.

15 year old pines should be fine. You should burn the entire block every other year along with the scrub field. You will see a noticeable uptick of wildlife in your area post burning.

This is a common over-generalization about prescribed burning. It is a great tool, and will certainly benefit your old field, but is not a magic bullet. Habitat in a closed canopy forest is going to benefit very little from a burning program. Sunlight is the key to browse enhancement, as well as fawning, nesting and brooding cover improvement in a forest stand. Commercial thinning is likely the first step needed to open the canopy, harvesting a few more trees than recommended for timber production purposes will get you more wildlife benefit. Stands choked with sweetgum will likely benefit from a herbicide application before burning starts. Varying burn blocks, season of burns and time between burns will get you even more benefit.

Redneck Rocker Dude

Old Mossy Horns
You will have to file a civil suit or settle it outside of court with the responsible party. As others have said, have a forester cruise it in order to get a value of what was burned.

With the rain weve had and judging from the fires we have had here, I doubt it burned hot enough to kill the trees. Just because the needles are brown doesn't mean the trees are dead.

What you need to look for in the late summer months is ips beetles. If the fire was hot enough to put a lot of stress on the trees that's what will get them vs direct heat.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Here is how I think I'd handle it, if it were mine. I'd go see what damage, if any, the fire did. Document it with pictures. You may not be able to tell if it killed some of the trees yet, but by this summer, it should become apparent. Document with pictures again this summer, if damage appears. If little or no damage, I'd let it ride in the name of good neighbors. If the damage is extensive, I'd still try to take it as easy on the neighbor as possible and work it out between the two of us. I'd let the neighbor know what I was going to do as well. Seems he was honest and up front about his mistake, so I'd certainly take that into consideration for a bit of lee way. Trees can be replanted, but good neighbors are harder to replace. You might even find another use/project for the burned area that would benefit your hunting.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
Thanks for all the replies. Not a lot of damage done, just some brush ,leaves and pine nettles burnt. Some blacking on the pine trees but i will take pictures and watch them for a year or two. I am thinking it has done more good than harm in the long run. Now if i can get some quiet time up there before turkey season maybe i can kill a tom.Thanks again , you guys have given good advise and i will take it.

Redneck Rocker Dude

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for all the replies. Not a lot of damage done, just some brush ,leaves and pine nettles burnt. Some blacking on the pine trees but i will take pictures and watch them for a year or two. I am thinking it has done more good than harm in the long run. Now if i can get some quiet time up there before turkey season maybe i can kill a tom.Thanks again , you guys have given good advise and i will take it.
How high is the blackening?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
If he has the equipment get him to dig up some food plots for you and call it even, doing that will help both of you
Have my own equipment, was going to plant buckwheat in a couple of weeks. Had a plot ready to go till the fire dept. ran there dozer all over it.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
had a neighbor have a fire get away from him

lost 10 60 year old trees on 2 acres,,,

stupid idiot (I know, seems redundant but it's not,,,it's a double tap)

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
As a general rule, the actual flames were probably about 1/3 the height of the black on the trees, if I recall correctly, I haven't burned in a while. Based off your description, and like RRD said about the amount of rain this state has seen, I'd probably go put my neighbor at ease immediately. Your stuff will be fine. If he didn't burn up any buildings/stands/etc, don't you burn any bridges over this. My opinion, pun intended.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
As a general rule, the actual flames were probably about 1/3 the height of the black on the trees, if I recall correctly, I haven't burned in a while. Based off your description, and like RRD said about the amount of rain this state has seen, I'd probably go put my neighbor at ease immediately. Your stuff will be fine. If he didn't burn up any buildings/stands/etc, don't you burn any bridges over this. My opinion, pun intended.
I was thinking the same thing, don’t need to burn a bridge if he is a good neighbor.