Fire ants

Cam

Four Pointer
One of our food plots has become absolutely overrun with fire ants. They’re everywhere! I’ve spot treated the mounds with Advion in years past but this year they’ve exploded. There’s a mound every 10 yards of so. This plot is about 1.5 acres.

I’ve got some equipment available; what’s my best route to exterminate them?
Spread a bait? Spray an insecticide?

I’ve got to at least knock them back some. I hate to think of shooting/tracking/dragging a deer out of there this year.
Spray the whole plot with Bifen

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Orthene is working for me. I sprayed some hills with bifen but must not have put enough down the hole. They just moved over a bit and went again. No activity after Orhene.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
there has to be a catch. :)

there is,,,,them things are the WORST of illegal immigrants,,,,not even a wall can stop them but you can abate the tide!

challenge is managing your perimeter,,,I have game lands behind me and the fire ants love migrating up the plowed fire breaks

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
there is,,,,them things are the WORST of illegal immigrants,,,,not even a wall can stop them but you can abate the tide!

challenge is managing your perimeter,,,I have game lands behind me and the fire ants love migrating up the plowed fire breaks
well I even cheated on the perimeter stuff. :)
as I was running the other morning I notced my neighbor had an absolute fortress at the edge of his drive, it got some TLC last night. I hope he doesn't mind. :)

I understand your point. Thanks again.

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
And a hint on buying Orthene.... Seems the average price is around $10-$11 per jug now when you need it; but if you watch Amazon in the winter, you can order 2 jugs for around $15. I wait and order several when I see this. But, I only see it around Dec.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
And a hint on buying Orthene.... Seems the average price is around $10-$11 per jug now when you need it; but if you watch Amazon in the winter, you can order 2 jugs for around $15. I wait and order several when I see this. But, I only see it around Dec.

ya ain't supposed to give away trade secrets like that!!

actaully,,,they are at a similar price now - 2, 12 oz jugs for $17

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I had my place eradicated but the infilitrated from the game lands again,,,,dang firebreaks,,,they are like super highways for them things,,,

anyhow,,we are back after them with my favorite dust for them,,,have never had an issue with this stuff not taking them out

but it's not designed for applying to large acreages of course,,,but for a 1.5 acre food plot I'd just walk it and dust the mounds,,,then do a walk around on any trails or firebreaks that are close by - I am working a 6 acre piece of my land that is adjacent to the aforementioned game lands and I dust them as I work my pup down there...

ortho-lawn-insect-pest-control-0282210-64_1000.jpg
Just treated a few mounds on field edges. This has to be the worst smelling chit I have ever smelled... I even looked around for a dead....rotten....animal for a second. Ha!