Finding my way back

Smitty

Six Pointer
It’s been a long while since I have been to church on a regular basis and I’m struggling with myself in finding the right fit for my wife and myself. She was raised Lutheran and I was raised Southern Baptist. We want to get back to church and I want to build a better relationship with God for us, but mostly for me. We aren’t sure how we feel yet about the Non-Denominational Contemporary type of church setting. Does anyone have suggestions on what church we should look at? So far as Methodist, Baptist, or whatever?

Also, I want to find a different Bible. The KJV I have always found hard to read and understand. Is there another version that is much simpler and easier to understand? Any suggestions on a particular Bible?

Any help will be much appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I believe in a fundamental Church, the denomination has to support the real words of the Bible. The pastor or Preacher has to be able to interpret the Word so that the flock can understand while keeping the translation to the original text meaning.
Keeping this in mind you can still enjoy going to hear good music, enjoy being with fellow Christians, and some contemporary churches fit that description.
Don't expect the first one or two you visit to provide that perfect fit, you may never find the perfect church home since they all have people and that puts the human factor into what should be Gods house. Overlook that factor and go for edification and you'll ne better off.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I guess one good thing about the times we live in a lot of church services are on line. I would at least narrow down my places I want to visit by looking at parts of the on line services. As far as the Bible goes I use mostly the New American Standard. Once again Bible app on phone and you can see numerous versions.

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have an ESV study bible I really like, but the BEST translation is the one you like and understand. Go to biblegateway.com and pull up some of your favorite scriptures and stories and read them in different translations and see what fits your brain the best.

As far as a church to attend, some of the non denominational churches are good, problem is sometimes its hard to figure out what they actually believe, anybody that is wishy washy on Biblical truth would be out for me. I attend a Methodist church, but denomination doesn't matter, find a church that believes and preaches the Bible. Websites are great like Moose said for figuring out what they stand for and sampling their services.

BTW, God is glad to have you back! Pray for guidance and I'm sure you will be led to where you need to be!

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Finding a translation is much easier than finding a church. Some good translations: ESV, NIV, CSB, NASB. But, it is often helpful to use the translation that your pastor is using.

Non-denom or denominational are both fine, but you will have a little more understanding of what you are getting up front with the latter. Finding a church is not necessarily easy, but it should be semi-permanent. In other words, do a diligent search (visiting several) for a church that holds fast to the truth of scripture, is intent on discipleship, and is the right fit for you. Once you find that church, plan on building relationships and "doing life" with the community there. Don't jump around unless there is a significant reason to break fellowship with that congregation.

As a warning, there are a lot of churches that no longer hold to solid, biblical doctrine. They have changed with the culture. There are just as many that are built on a feel-good, self help, attraction model. These may have correct doctrine if you force them to commit, but they are only going to preach warm and fuzzy. These churches essentially offer a spiritual form of what society is already offering. If there is no discussion of sin, then there's no need for a savior. And thus there is no clear presentation of the gospel. I don't mean to be negative, but you need to have just as much an idea of what you are NOT looking for as what you are looking for.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
I struggle daily with my relationship with God and man.

I struggle with any congregation. The church of today is nothing like the first century church. The opinion of man is louder than the Word of God. It seems that most congregations that I have visited worry more about numbers and the contribution plate than they do about spreading the word of God.

I also prefer the New King James Study Bible.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I use an NIV Life Application Bible. It has the scriptures at the top of the page, and an "in plain english" interpretation at the bottom.

As far as a church, I agree with Eric. I always look for one where the pastor preaches biblically sound doctrine. Many churches have websites and they often state their "beliefs" somewhere. That's a good place to start.

old school

Six Pointer
You have taken the first step in seeking a Church and wanting to build a better relationship with our Heavenly Father. Whatever your choice, just know that God is in control and is only a prayer away . He will be your Guide as you strive to follow His plan for us , His children. Praying for your success!

billyf

Six Pointer
You said you have a hard time understanding the KJV of the bible. I do as well. The fact is the Bible is hard to understand no matter which translation you use... It was purposefully made hard to understand by God so that the casual reader or the person w/o faith would never get the meaning...

The disciples came to him and asked, “Why do you speak to the people in parables?”
11 He replied, “Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven(H) has been given to you,(I) but not to them. 12 Whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them.(J) 13 This is why I speak to them in parables:
“Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand

To Understand the Bible you need a good Bible teacher... Best Bible teacher I know is Les Feldick. He's on TV and online and he's free. He has 900+ 30min classes from GEN to Rev... If you put the time into his classes you will understand the Bible much better...

Jake NFC

Twelve Pointer
Ryrie Study Bible in the New American Standard Version. As far as churches, seek one that preaches and believes the bible is the inspired word of God. Avoid ones that are preaching Social Justice