Finding lease

Moses

Four Pointer
Where is the best place to find leases? I'm looking for a deer hunting lease for the 2019 season. I have access to about 200ac in Stanly Co. but due to the "if it's brown it's down" mentality from others with access I'm getting frustrated with spending anymore time/money on that property. Not really looking for a club unless small number of members. Thanks in advance.

Moses

Four Pointer
Not necessarily looking for big acreage, just some management guidelines. Don’t mind spending some coin for the right tract. Since I travel through the week for work I usually only have the weekends to get in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jrbrandt25

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Everyone is looking for land to lease it's getting harder to find land got to go further out I'm finding

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If it’s brown it’s down is the common school of thought in Stanly county. Between that mentality and farmers with depradation permits your better off to save your money and take a trip out of state. That’s what I’ve started doing. I still hunt a little around Stanly county just because I live here and have the land.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
If it’s brown it’s down is the common school of thought in Stanly county. Between that mentality and farmers with depradation permits your better off to save your money and take a trip out of state. That’s what I’ve started doing. I still hunt a little around Stanly county just because I live here and have the land.

It's not just Union County....

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Not many people own or lease enough land personally to do any serious management. The way I look at it on my 50 acres is: if I shoot a small buck he sure won’t have a chance to be a nice deer. If I let him walk he doesn’t stand a huge chance still but more of one had I killed him.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Good luck finding what your looking for around here would be like finding gold nugget unless find club with lot land and that'll come with lot members or hefty price

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Best bet is to find a rural piece of land and buy it in an area where there is not much hunting going on.
NC is getting harder to find land but not impossible.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Oldest might be right you mentioned your time is limited to wknds if you have lease far away and don't have time to be there regular might find that it gets trespassed on or everyone around shoot everything they see and it'll be just like where you hunt now. For price to lease 100 acres you could do decent out state hunt or 2 semi guided type hunts. Just an option since you seem to be looking for big older deer

nchunter78

Six Pointer
It is tough, that is for sure. Then it seems like stuff falls in your lap sometimes when you are not even looking.

gameland

Twelve Pointer
https://www.ncagr.gov/paffairs/AgReview/2018/documents/decFarmLandForSale.pdf

4th line down, best deal I have seen. If anyone leases it, let me know, I want in.

I called this number. The lady said it was almost to the point that she was gonna have her phone disconnected because all of the calls. She said the same person had been leasing the land since the 70’s and they didn’t know what to ask for it. She said people had offered way more than they advertised it for. Obviously it’s been leased...... somebody got a great deal on an awesome piece of property!!

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
That's fine if you only hunt a couple of weeks a year...If you buy it's available to you whenever you want..

You can over hunt an affordable tract in three visits. Unless it's that rarest of perfect location tracts.

Not to mention who is on your borders encroaching from neighborhood kids to local dogs, etc.

Would love to buy my own land, but I can't afford it around here. $7-9k an acre. Land is cheaper further east, but the conundrum is, is it worth it to own land 3-4 hrs away?

No, it's not. Locals will all over it when you aren't around.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Would love to buy my own land, but I can't afford it around here. $7-9k an acre. Land is cheaper further east, but the conundrum is, is it worth it to own land 3-4 hrs away?

I’ve got land much cheaper than that!! You aren’t dealing with the right folks!! I’ve got 72 acres in Randolph County loaded with deer...$2,800/acre.. ?

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve got land much cheaper than that!! You aren’t dealing with the right folks!! I’ve got 72 acres in Randolph County loaded with deer...$2,800/acre.. ?
I have browsed your offerings. I may have to get with you. Its hard to find a true land broker. Most of them are just real estate agents who have no clue about buying land. My dilemma is still the distance. Randolph County is 2 hours from me. I'm just worried about truly being able to utilize and control a tract of land far from home.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Not sure where you are but I just put 40 acres with an old farm house under contract for $130k...This was in Surry County...You are right though, most realtors sell houses, find one that specializes in land.

Last edited:

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have browsed your offerings. I may have to get with you. Its hard to find a true land broker. Most of them are just real estate agents who have no clue about buying land. My dilemma is still the distance. Randolph County is 2 hours from me. I'm just worried about truly being able to utilize and control a tract of land far from home.
Your not just buying land but your neighbors land will also dictate what goes on around your land.
I was more interested in my neighbors land than what i was buying up at the Rock. I did some investigating

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Your not just buying land but your neighbors land will also dictate what goes on around your land.
I was more interested in my neighbors land than what i was buying up at the Rock. I did some investigating
Yep, neighbors are key. I backed out of buying a very beautiful piece of land in Ashe County last year, due to the neighbors. After I met them and asked around town about them, I quickly learned they were the type of people you didn't want to share a property line with.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I dont know about 3 hours but 2 hours is manageable. Key is to be up there on Saturdays and then SURPRISE the neighbors with a visit during the week. If you do have a trespasser then you wont have them for long.;)

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Do you like to piddle on a tractor and bulldozer? have access to both?
Do you like to catch tresspassers? Enjoy that drama?
Do you know timber?
can you ignore the math on buying land to hunt on? Money to play with?
can you watch "your" deer wander off and get killed?
Can you handle interference from doggers?
can you not find a lease or club?

If yes is the answer, buy you some. If not reconsider.