Finally!

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Finally was able to get some Speer Hot-Cor 130 grain FP bullet for my .308 Marlin Express and .30-30 loads. Probably got a life times worth now. Had to whip off the road and purchase them at while going hunting one morning.
Never reloaded for a lever gun, do you have to use a crimp?

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I bet they work great in the 30/30. How do they hold up in that 308?
The bullets are stout. They actually do well at velocities higher than most think of when talking about a .30-30. My loads out of the .30-30 are running 2500 fps out the muzzle. The .308 Marlin Express, with my loads launch them at a muzzle velocity of 2750 fps. Killed deer with both. Bullet with the .30-30 my have still wanted some more expansion, it did exit and the buck went maybe 10 yards. I would say it did its job. Oh, the. Shot was maybe 30 yards. The deer I have killed with the .308 MX, well some how I hit it in the head at about 250 yards. The bullet still did not explode. Hole in, hole out. The loads are very accurate in that rifle. Around 5" at 450 yards. So it was me or something strange happened. Now, I can load up some more. I have both a .308 MX and MXR. The MXR likes the lighter bullets 130/140 gr. .and that MX the 150/160 grain. The difference is the MX is blued with a 22" barrel and the MXR is stainless with a 24" barrel.

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I have a Lee Factory Crimp Die I use for all my lever rifles. I even use it with my .38-55 that I load with a 280 gr. cast bullet with a bhn of around 13, which is considered on the softer side. They make great rounds for deer though. I would bet it would take any critter but a brown bear with great efficiency. I would want the harder ones for the brown bears. Had them out penetrate all other bullets I have shot, including a .300 WSM.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I wad curious, I have never reloaded for a lever gun, semi-auto or pistol so wasn't sure.
I would assume you need to for semi autos and pistols except a revolver probably wouldn't matter I assume.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

I do..the recoil will jam the bullets into the casing if you don't. Remember, the shells in a lever are in a tube stacked bullet to primer.
But, with that (imo) being a necessity, I pretty much crimp all my rounds, even for my bolt guns. All brass is sized prior to loading and I just feel better knowing they are all done the same and I don't have to worry about varying neck tension. No, maybe not necessary, but it does give me repeatable, consistency in my loads..
OMMV