Finally had a doe duck me

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve never had a deer legitimately duck my arrow until tonight. She came out pretty early, perfect for a Sunday hunt. I took my time, settled the pin on the crease behind her elbow and let it go. 20yd shot and I could absolutely see her ducking before the arrow got there. Saw her start to go down then heard the arrow thump. She ran off 30yds and stood there like nothing happened. I got the binos on her and could see the exit hole. 3-4 inches below the back and right inline with the crease. She was bleeding a little but nothing crazy. I’m pretty confident I ended up in the dead area under the spine and above the lungs. I had a small gap so I thought the ethical thing would be to try and sneak another arrow in her a 56yds. It’s a range I have practiced but not out of a tree and not through the trees. It was close but didn’t connect on the small doe. Gave her till dark, no blood just meat on the arrow. Drops of blood and a few bigger areas where she stopped but it was bright red muscle blood.
As a hunter I guess these kinda of things come with the territory. We strive to take animals in the most efficient way possible and when we fail to do our job both parties end up suffering. I honestly think she will survive this and hopefully a pic on the trailcam will put my mind to ease.

On another note the rest of the hunt was great. Small bucks chasing does pretty much nonstop.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Meat hit, she'll be just fine. You actually went over the spine, not under it.

^ True. The spine is lower than it seems on those shots.

Unfortunately, I've had quite a few go to ducking and rolling. There's really nothing you can do to fully prevent it. I've heard guys go on about how they never shoot at an alert deer, and it's never happened to them, but that's bull. I've had deer head down, feeding, not a care in the world, and duck 6-10" by the time the arrow gets there. Best you can do is aim lower third, or if the deer is alert and really jumpy, bottom of the heart.

A really fast bow helps some.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
^ True. The spine is lower than it seems on those shots.

Unfortunately, I've had quite a few go to ducking and rolling. There's really nothing you can do to fully prevent it. I've heard guys go on about how they never shoot at an alert deer, and it's never happened to them, but that's bull. I've had deer head down, feeding, not a care in the world, and duck 6-10" by the time the arrow gets there. Best you can do is aim lower third, or if the deer is alert and really jumpy, bottom of the heart.

A really fast bow helps some.

That's what surprised me. Completely relaxed, feeding with another doe, head down. I had been at full draw for a little bit so I know she didnt see me. My bow is not overly fast or loud but at 20yds it shouldn't be an issue. I am shooting my elk set up so the heavy arrow kills a lot of noise. She's apparently just has some really good reactions. I'v noticed that not all deer react the same. Some throw their head up while others jump or take a hop away. I guess her reaction is to duck. Like you said you can never really account for it since everyone is different.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve skinned the hair off two this year and was aiming in the pit at 20yds. These neighborhood deer around here are like the matrix. And lost the dang arrow with a lighted nock.
Have to aim at the knee cap next time I guess[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk