Fiddler & Sand flea availability?

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I called Oceans East tackle shop in nags Head to ask if they had fiddler crabs because I didn't know when those crabs became unavailable seasonally. He said they quit carrying them about a month ago.

I was hoping to try a little sheepshead fishing from a pier and wondered if sand fleas are still readily available in the surf... At least near nags Head and Oregon Inlet etc.

(Also wondering if the Bonner bridge Fishing Pier is open yet)

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Plenty of sandfleas in the wash right now. We caught a 2 gallon bucket last week with a sandflea rake.
Dead low tide and they have been right on the last little hump before you hit the trough/drop off. Just look for a steeper beach with a little gravel.

Not sure about the bonner bridge pier being open. Have not been to the inlet lately.

Still plenty of sheeps on structure in the sound right now...fyi. Lost a couple before this last blow that were dang nice. October produces the biggest sheeps of the year for me almost every year.

Last edited:

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Hi y'all. I went surf fishing a week ago (Oct 2nd, I believe), and drove straight to Pea Island figuring I'd catch sand fleas whilst I fished. WRONG. Found a handful over the course of the day and most were tiny.

Stayed from 6 am until 5 pm, took a quick look at the new Bonner Bridge Pier, and went to Jennette's... Well, I'll be. THAT's the spot for Sand fleas. Holy mackerel. I've got them in a freezer at home now for a winter trip.

PXL_20211002_170607043.jpg

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I’m at nags head now and sand fleas pretty thick if you can get up the courage to dig’em up before the next 7 footer breaks 😂😂😂

GAWolf

Ten Pointer
Here through NYE. Do sandfleas “migrate” or “hibernate” or should they still be around and catchable with a rake? Mullet is getting hard to come by. Thanks in advance.