Ficht motor worth the risk?

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
First i know its not fishing but figured this is where most people with boats would look.

Been on and off looking for a larger v-hull and seem to have found a boat that could fit the bill.(boat is priced almost good enough i would consider repowering without even trying to get this motor right, but im cheap and like getting deals.) it has a 1999 evinrude 150 ficht motor. The guy said it had started spitting and sputtering last time he used and he hasnt used it since due to an injury roughly a year ago. im fairly handy on motors so if it has good compression im thinking it is probably something simple. but ive been reading on the ficht motors and everyone seems to have third hand horror stories, but alot of people that had the motor seemed to like them.

Anyone had one or would take a risk with getting a boat with one on it?

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
I would not buy ANY OMC product made between 1996 - 2001 (Before Bombardier bought them out). ALL early Direct Injection Outboards had issues and OMC having their motors made in Mexico is what lead them to bankruptcy. Those years of OMC motors were crap.
Those motors you need to align the spark plug in special orientation to the injector. Was the computers upgraded to the latest version? Blocks were cheap Mexico products.
Even though you have experience on motors, Ficht is a whole other issue.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
I would not buy ANY OMC product made between 1996 - 2001 (Before Bombardier bought them out). ALL early Direct Injection Outboards had issues and OMC having their motors made in Mexico is what lead them to bankruptcy. Those years of OMC motors were crap.
Those motors you need to align the spark plug in special orientation to the injector. Was the computers upgraded to the latest version? Blocks were cheap Mexico products.
Even though you have experience on motors, Ficht is a whole other issue.
this is why i asked. im currently weighing out the options. a buddy has a 06 150 mercury i could get fairly cheap, but id rather pick the boat up and run it till this winter then swap.

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
Rule of thumb on ALL Direct Injected motors that are manufactured after 2003, odds are greatly improved, but ALL brands still could have some issues, but nowhere near those manufactured before 2003.

Starfan

Eight Pointer
We blew up two sets of 99 Evinrude 150s in a year. Both sets were under warranty and we got stuck for the last set of the POS.

warhorse

Eight Pointer
I'm shopping for a boat too and everything i've read suggest what everyone else has stated. Read mostly good stuff about the carbed motors (fast strike, intruder) so i guess i'll go that way.

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
I'm shopping for a boat too and everything i've read suggest what everyone else has stated. Read mostly good stuff about the carbed motors (fast strike, intruder) so i guess i'll go that way.
If you get one with the Photo Eye used for timing, just get a spare Photo Eye to keep on hand. I would still stay away from those years I listed earlier.
(I had a 1989 Johnson 50HP tiller and it was bullet proof) OMC was good until they moved down to Mexico for their manufacturing.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Ficht motors came by their reputation honestly. Id never buy one with the intent to keep it running, or try to get it running if its not. We had a couple in the family and dang they were problematic from day one. The big thing i remember was having to have the EMM'S reworked on a regular basis. The emm was water cooled and would overheat and fry a curcuit board iirc.
I wouldnt touch it with a 10' pole.

warhorse

Eight Pointer
If you get one with the Photo Eye used for timing, just get a spare Photo Eye to keep on hand. I would still stay away from those years I listed earlier.
(I had a 1989 Johnson 50HP tiller and it was bullet proof) OMC was good until they moved down to Mexico for their manufacturing.
what about the early 2000s Yamaha vmax hpdi? Mercury?

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
Well I haven’t finalized the deal on the boat yet but did close a deal on a Johnson fast strike 150 with all the rigging for cheap from a friend helped pull it off a while back after he wasn’t happy with tilt not working and him feeling it was under powered for his bass boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
what about the early 2000s Yamaha vmax hpdi? Mercury?
I would not own a DI motor made before 2004, of any brand.
ALL Direct Injected Outboards had issues and around late 2003 they got most their problems solved.
EPA was going after every combustible engine, Outboards, Weed Wackers, Lawn Mowers, Chain Saws, ... That is why you do not find adjustment screws on the carbs anymore. The Outboard Motor Manufacturers tried the DI, to get the most precise fuel mixture. Problem was trying to cover all ranges of the RPM curve. That is why, if you had a DI engine, they wanted you to run it a WOT. Hell, the EPA wanted manufacturers to have Catalytic Converters on I/O's and inboards, until the manufacturers told them how all that heat would be very unsafe in an boating application.
A lot of manufacturers have either reduced or eliminated the DI motors from their line-up.