Fertilizer is going up.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It seems that everything is jumping in price or already has, and that includes fertilizer. I got a tip that prices were going up soon, but by the time I called my supplier this morning, I was too late. Triple 17 that I got for around $13.50 a bag last fall is now $16.60. Thats a $75 increase on my spring planting. Some lower volume stores haven’t gone up yet, but they will.

If you plant much and can store it, you may want to pick it up NOW instead of waiting until planting time.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I stopped in at my secondary supplier and while I was in the store, he called and said it was going up $3/bag effective immediately. I got 20 bags and the other guy in the store bought the last 6 they had at last year’s price, which was still $2 more than what I’ve been getting it for the past few years. I probably should have bought them all...

Dove plots are expensive enough at the old prices.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Not saying oil not playing a part in higher prices but fertilizer had started up some before the oil. I think it had as much to do with rising grain prices as anything. The fertilizer company have done it for years. They know the more the farmer gets the easier it is to shove higher prices at them. Dont really see why a bag has gone up much as some are saying. A 50lb bag of 10-10-10 only has about 15lbs of nutrients in it the rest is filler

BiggestSpikeYouEverSeen

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Inflation is a very real concern right now. Price points will increase across many industries. Some that you notice (gas, fertilizer, housing, etc.) but many that you won't. Regardless, a meaningful percentage of the everyday goods we purchase will see an increased price tag this year if not already.

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
I bought 10-10-10 yesterday for $10.63 per bag (50 lbs) in Roxboro.
I don't remember ever paying over $10 per bag.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you buy fertilizer in bulk for later use you better be able to keep it dry till you need it.
True. My problem isn't storage. I'd buy it by the pallet if I had a skid loader to get it off the truck with. I have to offload bags by hand until I get it down to what my tractor will lift. A machine that otherwise has plenty of power is rather anemic when it comes to lifting loads centered 5' out in front of it.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
A big problem is getting the fertilizer in, I had to wait two days to get my custom blends. Nobody topdressed in February so the demand is higher than normal. By the time my order was filled there wasn’t much left. Gets a little hard on the wallet when putting 70 pounds each per acre, on the bright side it’s the freshest you can get.

Reactions: RJ1

timber

Twelve Pointer
That occasionally happens when weather has delayed getting in the fields. When weather breaks everybody wants it at same time. Most dealerships can only hold so much then they have to wait on trucks to haul it in. Haven’t heard of any problems this way but most what being used here now is potash and lime.

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I spread 3,200 lbs of 9-23-30 on Saturday. Paid $580 a ton. That is up almost 20% from what I remember paying last year.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I spread 3,200 lbs of 9-23-30 on Saturday. Paid $580 a ton. That is up almost 20% from what I remember paying last year.

No doubt it has gone up. Phosphorus and potassium does cost a bit in a normal year but usually stays pretty static. Your 20% estimate is fairly accurate because urea and phosphate (DAP) has surged. Potassium (potash) on the other hand has remained, even slightly dipping because of over supply (silver lining for hay producers).

DAP is up about $100 a ton and urea up $80.