Feral hogs,and game land.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Can't seem to find it in the regulations,on what kind of weapons can be used on game land after deer season to hunt feral hogs. Can buckshot be used and or rifles.bows etc.

OpticalFox70840

Four Pointer
Doesn't look like there are any restrictions unless the county you're hunting in says otherwise. All those you listed should be good though. But I'm not a game warden

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Agreed, call one of the Officers listed for county where you will be hunting. I did that a couple years ago. Officer was reading the regs book as we spoke. To my surprise he concluded that i could use a centerfire rifle on that Gamelands through end of February, based on squirrel etc that would be in-season . Good luck, i killed a grand total of 1 hog on gamelands, it was a challenge i have yet to repeat. Harder than killing a good buck!

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep, there is no caliber restrictions in NC, that means you can deer hunt with a .22 or you can squirrel hunt with a .50 cal. But you can't migratory bird hunt with a rifle. So don't be caught hog hunting with only dove season in with a rifle. Oh yeah, then there are those pesky local laws you have to remember.

OpticalFox70840

Four Pointer
Yep, there is no caliber restrictions in NC, that means you can deer hunt with a .22 or you can squirrel hunt with a .50 cal. But you can't migratory bird hunt with a rifle. So don't be caught hog hunting with only dove season in with a rifle. Oh yeah, then there are those pesky local laws you have to remember.
This is my first season as a hunter so I gotta ask: if there are no seasons in, what does that mean? How would one hunt coyotes or hogs? I just looked at the regs, would I be correct in saying you can't have a firearm on Jordan during the offseason?

Regs in question:

In accordance with Code of Federal Regulations, Title 36, Chapter III, Part 327, Section 327.13; the possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited on Butner-Falls of Neuse, Jordan, Kerr Scott, and Vance game lands unless:

• in the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer;
  • being used for hunting or fishing, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;
  • being used at authorized shooting ranges; or
  • written permission has been received from the District Commander.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Unless you have a CCP and are carrying that way you would be correct. You did catch the part about there is no open season on GL for hogs or yotes except during ANY open season for other game animals or birds correct?

OpticalFox70840

Four Pointer
Unless you have a CCP and are carrying that way you would be correct. You did catch the part about there is no open season on GL for hogs or yotes except during ANY open season for other game animals or birds correct?
After you said this, I looked and saw that game lands had different yote regs and went to see that on the GL regs page. So private lands for coyotes on the offseason then. Thank you for taking the time to make sure I'm doing things right. I really appreciate that

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
The game land I was referring to says no center fire rifle allowed.Hunted deer there before.shotgun and muzzleloader. Just wanted to know about having buckshot.and or a .50 cal muzzleloader during small game season .so I figured it states weapon not ammo size.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The game land I was referring to says no center fire rifle allowed.Hunted deer there before.shotgun and muzzleloader. Just wanted to know about having buckshot.and or a .50 cal muzzleloader during small game season .so I figured it states weapon not ammo size.
Break out the ole .22 mag.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
I found the regs .Stated that during open season on birds and small game can hunt with weapons designated . So looks.like.Im good to go.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Yep that’s the thing I was confused on before. Having to use a weapon that is legal during present season

truthbetold

Four Pointer
Yep that’s the thing I was confused on before. Having to use a weapon that is legal during present season

I've talked to a couple of game wardens about this. They made it clear that you can hunt hogs or coyotes during any open season (in the game lands we were on), but that you must be using a legal weapon for that season. They went as far as to say that a .223 would be fine but that a 30.06 would definitely put one in question if they came upon you toting one for small game. Hope that helps clarify.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I've talked to a couple of game wardens about this. They made it clear that you can hunt hogs or coyotes during any open season (in the game lands we were on), but that you must be using a legal weapon for that season. They went as far as to say that a .223 would be fine but that a 30.06 would definitely put one in question if they came upon you toting one for small game. Hope that helps clarify.
Oh yeah absolutely. I should’ve said I was previously confused as a new hunter and what nccatfisher (and now you) said is spot on.