Feral cow ?

double

Twelve Pointer
My neighbor just pulled up in the yard this morning looking for cows. Man I dont miss looking for cows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vannoyboy

Eight Pointer
I don't know how long you would need to grain feed a cow to change the meat but I do know a couple of weeks will only change the cow pile. Me and my wife bought one from a man several years ago to butcher and he said he had corn fed it for a couple of weeks. Well that thing was so tough you couldn't chew it. We were teenage newly weds and learned a lesson for life. Looking back 50 years ago I guess I have saved a lot of money on beef from that experience. As far as the ferel cow goes, it belongs to someone.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
So I guess you guys aren't for grass fed beef? ;) as far as getting 1000 lb critter out of woods not an issue especially if I can use a four wheeler. But I won't be involved and I'm not even sure which track of land this critter is on could be another state. I asked more out of curiosity cause im sure he is not the.first one to face this issue. I remember a few years ago there was a feral cow running around Fuquay-Varina but don't recall what happened with it.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't know how long you would need to grain feed a cow to change the meat but I do know a couple of weeks will only change the cow pile. Me and my wife bought one from a man several years ago to butcher and he said he had corn fed it for a couple of weeks. Well that thing was so tough you couldn't chew it. We were teenage newly weds and learned a lesson for life. Looking back 50 years ago I guess I have saved a lot of money on beef from that experience. As far as the ferel cow goes, it belongs to someone.

Sounds as if it weren't aged properly, as that is the process that tenderizes the meat. Or, an old cow can be tough even with normal aging.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Use to be some guys think from around Warrenton that would come out and catch cows. They bring horses and dogs. Dosent take long for a cow out like that to get wild. Chasing a cow through cut overs and thick woods is ruff. But they seemed to enjoy it

JoeR

Eight Pointer
When I lived in NY there was an elk loose in the woods near my house. There were a couple of elk farms and a high fence hunting area where it probably came from. Nobody would claim they lost one, so many hunters thought it might be fair game. I asked a conservation Officer about the legality of taking it, but he responded that it wouldn't be worth the risk. Elk meat would be way cheaper than getting charged. The bottom line was that if it wasn't on the list of game that could be hunted, you shouldn't be hunting it.
I never did see it while out hunting, but nobody I know saw it after hunting season ended. It probably ended up in a freezer somewhere.
Joe

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
I corralled a beef critter a number of years back, and reported it to the local PD, in case they got a call.

About an hour later, I got a call from a guy and he said, "I think you found one of my cows."

I said, "Can you describe it?" only as a token statement for the occasion.

He said, "Looks like a couple hundred pounds of burger in a black and white leather sack."

"come and get it."

double

Twelve Pointer
Your neighbor should've trained them better or learn to build a fence [emoji851]

I grew up with cows all my life every once in a while they decide they want to roam and a 10’ tall brick wall will not keep them in. In 7 years of living in the neighborhood this is the first time he has stopped by looking for them.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I grew up with cows all my life every once in a while they decide they want to roam and a 10’ tall brick wall will not keep them in. In 7 years of living in the neighborhood this is the first time he has stopped by looking for them.

IMG_5049.JPG