Feeding Roasted Soybeans and Corn

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
After 4 years of hunting 100 + acres of soybeans our farmer just informed me that he was planting corn this year so we are biting the bullet and feeding a Roasted Soybean and Corn mix to keep a steady supply of protein to our herd. Has anybody tried this and if so do you have any information or opinion on how this works

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
We did last year... worked great

the deer loved it and it was cheaper than the protein pellets and corn mix we used previous years

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We did last year... worked great

the deer loved it and it was cheaper than the protein pellets and corn mix we used previous years
That's awesome we used a perssimmon based corn last year and our supplier has offered to add perssimmon to the mix. Our biggest bucks stayed at the feeders where we used the persimmon flavored corn was worried about the % of protein but research says we are looking at 30+%. with the roasted beans. We always have supplied supplements in a mineral form but the lost of 100+ acres of beans is scary.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
All depends on food availability... in VA they eat protein pellets (no corn mixed in) and did same with soybeans.

high deer density and only green pastures and food plots for food (except during fall when acorns drop )

Andrewd

Six Pointer
That's awesome we used a perssimmon based corn last year and our supplier has offered to add perssimmon to the mix. Our biggest bucks stayed at the feeders where we used the persimmon flavored corn was worried about the % of protein but research says we are looking at 30+%. with the roasted beans. We always have supplied supplements in a mineral form but the lost of 100+ acres of beans is scary.
How did the deer like the persimmon corn Vs plain corn. Thinking about going to the persimmon corn this year.

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
They would walk by plain corn on the ground to eat perssimmon flavored corn out of the feeders. This was my first year trying it and I was skeptical but now I'm a believer. We buy our corn by the barrels and mix
1/2 a pack of perssimmon crush in each barrel and seal the top.

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
They would walk by plain corn on the ground to eat perssimmon flavored corn out of the feeders. This was my first year trying it and I was skeptical but now I'm a believer. We buy our corn by the barrels and mix
1/2 a pack of perssimmon crush in each barrel and seal the top.
Where do you buy persimmon crush?

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Are you using the #5 bag. And how many bags of corn
Yes we are splitting the 5# bag between 2 55 gallon drums. We then seal the lid and let it set a week or two. After time your drums and bags get the persimmon crush smell. Its little work but it's worth the effort. We are currently using 2 homemade 55 gallon gravity feeders and Banks gravity feeders. I will post some pics later

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We never had decent bucks at the feeders until we started mixing with perssimmon. Here are a couple pics from February.

Attachments

• 20200211_193203.jpg
    20200211_193203.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 20200211_193129.jpg
    20200211_193129.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 20200211_192037.jpg
    20200211_192037.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 119
  • 20200211_191648.jpg
    20200211_191648.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 120

billyf

Six Pointer
I would think that the soybean and corn mix would be an ideal feed for deer . I'm pretty sure Hog/chicken/turkey feed is a soybean/corn mix at roughly 25/75 or 30/70 depending on the age of the animal.

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
All depends on food availability... in VA they eat protein pellets (no corn mixed in) and did same with soybeans.

high deer density and only green pastures and food plots for food (except during fall when acorns drop )
Our supplier warned us that to much protein would cause diarrhea. So we chose to go with the 50/50 mixture. We still plan to supplement minerals, hopefully we will get a prize at the end. Lol

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Where do you all get roasted soybeans? I’m using 20% straight protein and deer eat good. I buy in bulk so price is not bad but like cheaper

newdeerhunter011

Eight Pointer
this is my first year trying to feed year round and i started using the corn/soybean mix also. the bucks are hitting it hard right now. cleaning up 4-5 bags a week at my spots, not a speck left... That's about the most I will put out considering the cost of the feed but I'm going to give it a try this year to see if it makes any difference.

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
this is my first year trying to feed year round and i started using the corn/soybean mix also. the bucks are hitting it hard right now. cleaning up 4-5 bags a week at my spots, not a speck left... That's about the most I will put out considering the cost of the feed but I'm going to give it a try this year to see if it makes any difference.
[/Q

That's kinda my plan. I am feeding 4 spots on my side of the creek so I may mix additional corn to the mix. I'll keep you informed on what we are seeing.

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
After 4 years of hunting 100 + acres of soybeans our farmer just informed me that he was planting corn this year so we are biting the bullet and feeding a Roasted Soybean and Corn mix to keep a steady supply of protein to our herd. Has anybody tried this and if so do you have any information or opinion on how this works

We used it last year mixed with corn and again this year. Also use shock effect mixed in. The deer love it. The antlers seemed bigger, but need another year to confirm. The buck I shot went from scoring 105" at 2.5 to 127" at 3.5...22" wide. Added 1.5" stickers which is rare at 3.5. Also, our normal antler inches jump in a year is 10-15". We believe enough to spend another $4K/year on feed researching. It's a ton of work during early summer, but we have a member dedicated to it. We also mix in 5 gallons of soybean oil/ton. This is a 2.5 year old I passed 10 minutes before shooting my buck. He survived the season, so can't wait to see what he does this year.B35791DC-23A4-4432-B87B-458B06E04AF3.jpeg

Last edited:

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We used it last year mixed with corn and again this year. Also use shock effect mixed in. The deer love it. The antlers seemed bigger, but need another year to confirm. The buck I shot went from scoring 105" at 2.5 to 127" at 3.5...22" wide. Added 1.5" stickers which is rare at 3.5. Also, our normal antler inches jump in a year is 10-15". We believe enough to spend another $4K/year on feed researching. It's a ton of work during early summer, but we have a member dedicated to it. We also mix in 5 gallons of soybean oil/ton. This is a 2.5 year old I passed 10 minutes before shooting my buck. He survived the season, so can't wait to see what he does this year.View attachment 40644
Thanks Ambush that's the kinda information that I was looking for. We started this program to help some of our 2.5 and 3 year old bucks. It is costly but it's definitely worth a shot. Good luck with that buck can't wait to see the pics next year.

PG2

Ten Pointer
You may want to try this with cracked corn, soybeans and mix in a little molasses..

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
Thanks Ambush that's the kinda information that I was looking for. We started this program to help some of our 2.5 and 3 year old bucks. It is costly but it's definitely worth a shot. Good luck with that buck can't wait to see the pics next year.

The NC biologist haven’t ever been much help in increasing antler size. We had to talk with high fence folks and Midwest people, that focus on maximum antler nutrition. One of the guys that sells a product at deer shows said ten years ago less than 1% supplementally fed. Now he said he’s flooded with folks interested in it.

newdeerhunter011

Eight Pointer
The NC biologist haven’t ever been much help in increasing antler size. We had to talk with high fence folks and Midwest people, that focus on maximum antler nutrition. One of the guys that sells a product at deer shows said ten years ago less than 1% supplementally fed. Now he said he’s flooded with folks interested in it.

Whats your opinion on the wright whitetail mineral? I’ve been feeding it some and the deer love it but the cost is outrageous compared to straight corn and roasted beans.. $18-20 a bag vs $10 a bag. Not sure if it’s worth using

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Whats your opinion on the wright whitetail mineral? I’ve been feeding it some and the deer love it but the cost is outrageous compared to straight corn and roasted beans.. $18-20 a bag vs $10 a bag. Not sure if it’s worth using

Be prepared to gain 100 inches 😂

Ambush

Twelve Pointer

I don't know much about it. Does it have raw soybeans or roasted soybeans? If their products help to reduce parasites it would have to help. Some type of parasite product is something we've thought about using, but haven't so far.

newdeerhunter011

Eight Pointer
I don't know much about it. Does it have raw soybeans or roasted soybeans? If their products help to reduce parasites it would have to help. Some type of parasite product is something we've thought about using, but haven't so far.

Raw soybeans and lots of other stuff. The guy claims it will reduce parasites

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We mix Diomaceous Earth in with our minerals, it is supposed to kill parasites