Feds call off merger of Bass Pro and Sportsman Warehouse

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns

Looks like there will still be a little competition in the outdoor market.

Generally speaking, myexperience at CaBelASS Pro has been underwhelming.

My experience with sportsmans warehouse was better. I’ve never been in one, but when I called them 2 years ago to report the credit card fraud where some jackass ordered 2 tree stands on my CC, they were prompt in cancellation.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not convinced this is good for the outdoor market or not at this point. In general govt. interference in private business is, at best, cause for skepticism. I do not know enough about the financial circumstances of SW to know if this merger/purchase was going to be the only thing that kept them afloat etc.

Big fan of competition, but size of market typically dictates how many players there are out there. The pandemic has actually breathed a little more life into hunting/fishing but the trend is still negative over the last 20+ years.

Southern

Ten Pointer
Not sure this is something to be happy about. It were energy/food/health related etc where it really could hurt the broad public I could see it, but a sporting goods store being told what to do by Biden?

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
There are positives and negatives. I don't think the government should be in the business of telling companies what to do. I don't care if the government views the merger as becoming a potential monopoly or whatever other qualms they have. On the other side of the coin, at least Bass Pro isn't destroying another brand.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
There are positives and negatives. I don't think the government should be in the business of telling companies what to do. I don't care if the government views the merger as becoming a potential monopoly or whatever other qualms they have. On the other side of the coin, at least Bass Pro isn't destroying another brand.
Monopolies are one of those lines where the government should step in...Its like dumping toxic waste in a river. But I can't really see this as a monopoly.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
wish they would stop more mergers. I guess they didnt contribute enough $ to the right campaign.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
It's called "private business" for a reason, it's NONE of the Govt's damned business!!! Just another thing for Bumblehead to F up.....
If we don't do something to take back our country it won't be worth having when the idiots get through.......

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Previously the courts have held that being a monopoly is not a problem as long as a company is not using its monopoly position to take advantage of customers or kill any potential competitors. For example, a startup airline starts running a route not served by the majors, then the majors start that route offering rates so low it drives the upstart out of business). Markets with high barriers to entry (e.g., auto manufacturers, airlines) have gotten more scrutiny than a market that is easy for upstarts. I would think sporting goods would be pretty low barrier to entry.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
It's called "private business" for a reason, it's NONE of the Govt's damned business!!! Just another thing for Bumblehead to F up.....
If we don't do something to take back our country it won't be worth having when the idiots get through.......

Sorry BPS had no business buying up SW

Now SW won’t be ruined like Cabela’s

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Its far too late for that. There is no 'taking back our country'. The best we're going to get is a series of small balkanized countries that used to be the US.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
this country is Owned by big businesses. Monopolies is what has destroyed the good ol us of a. kinda like that 2nd ammendment they are trying to crush. Getting around monopolies was the 1st degradation of our constitution.

Take the money out of government and we may have a chance.