Federal offering tungsten buckshot (12 gauge)

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Half price of turkey shot. They ought to do a good job of breaking bones and punching through ribs.

Reactions: CRC

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
That is NOT tss. It is a “tungsten alloy”. If it were tss, it 1. Dam sure wouldn’t be $17/box and 2. Would have a elephant on the box because true 18g/cc tss 00B is overkill for anything other than grizzlies in North America.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Is tss pure tungsten?

I read tungsten alloys have to be 90-97 percent tungsten with the rest other metals

Last edited:

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Seems like #1 Buck would be better fitted for TSS. give you moar pellets but with great penetration. Kinda like using #7 & #9 for turkeys instead of #5 lead.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
A shotgun that patterns this stuff well, will be a killing machine. I will see how it patterns in my shotguns.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
What would be the benefit of this over copper plated lead buckshot for deer hunting?

Increased penetration?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
harder, truer, blows slam through them. Should pattern better. You should know that.

So basically as I said increased penetration?

The federal flight control wad seems to make any type of buckshot pattern pretty good and this has that

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
That flight control wad can make good patterns out of lead buckshot.

Much better than without it.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Flight Control wads are made to shoot through open chokes, imp. cylinder and cylinder ie.

I ordered some and will see how they pattern through my open chokes. I have an 11-87 that patterns best with Federal OO Flight Control Wad, it will be interesting to see how it does with this stuff.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Federal 3” 1-7/8th oz. #6 turkey load with Flite Control wad. Shot from my Beretta A400 factory flush full choke at measured 60 yards. Choke/wad combo doesn’t appear to affect smaller shot, however tighter chokes and big pellets can blow patterns. B3225AE5-A2AE-426C-A476-105D53DB380F.jpeg

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Patterned some today. Tightest came from a modified choke out of a Stevens mod. 311. It put five pellets in a 12" x 12" target twice at 50 yards. On of those all 5 where within a 5" circle. Best overall from 50 to 100 yards was with an 11-87 with a imp. cylinder choke. It consistently put two pellets in the 12" x 12" and 5 total just inches off the 12" x 12". I was pleased with the patterns. Think I might need to try a modified and a cylinder out of the 11-87. Shot three different shotguns and three different chokes. total of 15 shots. 9 where from 100 yards, 2 from 75 yards and 4 from 50. Total pellet count was 75 in a 36" x 41" piece of card board. That's a 55.5% pattern with all the shotguns. This stuff should not have any issue killing a deer at 50 yards out of the 311, 870 with a fixed full or the 11-87.