Federal B.O.R. Lock Bullets

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think I saw a post by moose about these a few weeks ago in the ML forum.

EDIT: found it. He said they looked good on targets and hoping to get an on game test with them them.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I looked at them. The base remains with the bullet unlike falling away like a sabot. I have to wonder if the base deforms with certain powders or heavier loads, consequently affecting the coefficient but not necessarily a noticeable trajectory difference.

I watched a few videos that were largely positive but the mixed bag of reviews notably in CVAs steered me another direction. I wanted to speed up my learning curve and keep initial costs lower so I went with three more known options. From there I settled on my second trial without even shooting the third option.

Maybe I’ll try some in the off-season just to see how they do.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If they will shoot in your gun it's a great option. Power belt ease of use with much better performance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Packfan

Eight Pointer
I have not tried the fury universal fit 50 cal (i don’t shoot 50 cals anymore) but they are based off of the fury star tip and ST2 which are wicked accurate and are hammers. Dennis has quick shipping. Furybullets.com

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
It’s the meanest musket bullet I’ve ever fired. I won’t shoot anything else as long as they make them. Accuracy is great but terminal performance looks like this EVERY time. (If you don’t get a complete pass through. This was a shoulder shot. Broke both shoulders and dropped the doe dead. )F849A9F3-6DD2-49E9-933F-7ADD1C1F92BB.jpeg

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Yup I'm shooting them but have yet to get them on an animal. Central ML maybe a bust seeing they plan to start cutting the timber next week on that lease....

flathead977

Ten Pointer
I tried to get them to shoot in my CVA, I had a lot of blow-by, like they wasn't sealed and didn't have a tight fit in the bore. This was even after pushing the ramrod down hard. With a dirty bore, they seemed to shoot better for me, but when clean it was like a little poof and a lot of the blow-by. I ended up giving a couple packs away.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
CVA barrels definately tend to be on the loose side compared to Thompson Center. Never had an issue getting either to shoot but with these style bullets you have to have a good tight seal.

PG2

Ten Pointer
I shoot them out of my Traditions and they shoot awesome with 100 grains of loose 777. At 100 yards I get 3 shots all touching...

LDG

Twelve Pointer
O.K. I've got 3 packs of these and my gun doesn't like them. BPS has them for 24.99 a pack. If anyone wants them I'll ship them for $65 via paypal.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
CVA barrels definately tend to be on the loose side compared to Thompson Center. Never had an issue getting either to shoot but with these style bullets you have to have a good tight seal.

Agree with this, I shoot Barnes, out of my TC I shot the TEZ, they won’t shoot out of my CVA, load too easy and I think a lot of blow by. Switched to the TMZ, much tighter in the bore and more consistent.

rustvyper

Ten Pointer
resurrecting this thread...
Bullets shoot great from my tradition nitrofire over 120gr. 3/4" groups at 100 yards.
I was able to harvest one of my target bucks with the rounds that LDG sold me. Absolutey hammered him, he didn't even thrash, just went straight down and head wobbled a bit.
But...there was no exit. Bullet hit perfect center of mass behind the shoulder and did a 90 degree turn and ended up pulverizing his spine with no exit. The shot ended up dumping all the energy into his forward cavity and liquefied his lungs. Recovered the round and it looks like I got an incomplete petal deployment on the round. This shot was about 60-70 yards.
So, with any data set of 1, it's not particularly useful.The round shoots to good to ditch it without trying it more. I plan to harvest several does with it in december.
But so far I'm not happy with the terminal performance. On a more marginal shot where he could have run, there would have been practically 0 blood trail. I got very lucky with this buck which can't always be counted on.
65893985550__20EF7D6D-F43F-4BA9-A6D9-F8C278F20077.jpg65893988486__396C8790-1B71-4D89-992E-52236755108A.jpg

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
A buddy of mine swears by these for his CVA…so I picked up a pack to try in the off season in my Knight

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Big fan of the Barnes bullets! Only ML bullet I’ve shot that left a good blood trail. The TEZ shot great out of tight bored TC Omega and the TMZ shoots out of my CVA. The EZs wouldn’t group out of the CVA at all.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
This is essentially an enviro-freak bullet. I don't see any reason to change what I am shooting if its working. And its working just fine.

T/C MaxiBalls for my Hawken.
SST Sabots for my Triumph.