feathers

Dthbyhoyt

Old Mossy Horns
shot feathers for about 18 years then stated shooting Fusion Vanes abut 3-4 years ago and will be shooting them for some time to come ...

spoonriver

Floyd the Barber
Most of the trad guys I have saw shooting use feathers. I do because I think they are more forgiving when shooting off a shelf rest. When I shot compounds I liked the little blazer vanes. They were very durable and flew great.

Guybo

Eight Pointer
I've been shooting feathers for over 25yrs and have no plans to change. I did give the blazers a try when they first came out but they just weren't for me so I went back to feathers soon after. I also tried the 2" Razyr feathers briefly but ended up going back to a 4" shortly afterwards. I use 4" RW with 100gr fixed blade thunderheads.

BigJoshBagotto

From my experience, the advantage with the feathers is that you can bend them, tear them, or have a chunk of them missing and your arrows will still still fly straight. If your shots group well and your arrows are knocking into each other at the target, the feathers or vanes take a beating. A big disadvantage is while hunting the feathers are one more thing that makes noise if you brush them against anything while drawing or preparing to draw back for a shot. I'd recommend just going with a small vane though.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I experiment with fletching all the time, one of the first things I learned when I started shooting traditional was to do my own. Different cuts, lengths, heights, and shapes, from 2 fletch to four fletch, with field points I've seen very little difference in flight in any of them so you may find some of each in my quiver. I've found too that while natural barred turkey feathers are pretty doggone waterproof I can shoot vanes accurately from every one of my bows and I carry a vaned shaft as a backup...

Last edited:

razuber

I have gone to just vanes, but as pointed out feathers are more forgiving.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I shot feathers for years. Then I stood downrange, behind a huge oak tree, and listened to feathers buzzing by...Feathers make entirely to much noise for my taste.

I switched to 4" vanes, but grew weary of the durability issues. Switched to Blazers and never looked back.

sent from wherever I is

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
QBD2, I've had really good luck by lowering the height of the feather(most of my TrueFlight shield cuts measure like 5/8" or taller) to say maybe 3/8" or 1/2" while increasing the overall length some. They seem a whole lot quieter to me....

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
LR, I don't doubt that, at all. I just don't see a single good reason(and a lot of negatives) to use them in my setup anymore. If I was shooting trad, I'd be a lot more inclined to go that route.

sent from wherever I is

Last edited: