Feather Point Retrievers?

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Katy is 9 months now (52 lbs) and has been at Feather Point Retrievers since 9 October. Went to see her today and I’m very impressed with where she is thus far not onlView attachment 109563View attachment 109564y in obedience but also her retriever/gun dog training. We will be picking her up near the end of April to come home. I likely won’t be able to make it back down until then but look forward to getting her home and actually working her in the field. She’s gonna be a good one.View attachment 109569

Reminds me of my Hank (RIP). I can look at those pics and tell she's smart. Congrats and keep us posted!

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Little update - I’m ready to have my pup home! Looks like I’ll be meeting the Feather Point crew at a hunt test in Mebane on 4/15-4/16 and will be running Katy in her first Junior - I believe she’ll have two passes to try for. 10 days later we go back to G’ville to spend some time with her and the trainer (mainly so he can train us). That will be the first time my wife has seen her since October. As a bonus, they have started her on upland work. I’ve always had Brittanies and have scoffed at “pointing labs” - but I’ve also seen some of their labs working quail and may have to eat my words. If they give her a good foundation, I feel sure I can hone that since I actually know a little about training pointing dogs (just enough, not much).

Looking forward to having her back home soon. We pick her up 4/26.

Last edited:

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
And she’s back. We picked her up today (and she turned 1 today also). Spent several hours at Feather Point so they could teach me and show me where she’s at. Very impressed with what they’ve done with this girl and I plan to continue it. Duck season won’t get here soon enough this year. She’s got her Junior Hunter title now and is back with her Brittany sister. We’re taking a few days at the beach before heading back home. Can’t say enough good things about Feather Point Retrievers - both their pups and their training - as good as they get.

Katy’s had a big day and a busy 6 months -
She’s resting with me on the couch now - never spoil your gun dog!
93AF0DD2-3B82-464B-BDF1-57D3C74621E8.jpeg3BD5005F-4B50-4870-8961-51CE529D5E4B.jpeg920B296B-1713-4876-B7E2-143E69405CAD.jpegB2F76FA5-5733-4319-B791-946A5E736226.jpeg

Last edited:

shurshot

Ten Pointer
One little bit of advice….spend as much time as humanly possible with her! And I mean in all venues you inhabit. Once bonded, this will create an inseparable and trustworthy relationship that will strengthen your ability to achieving your desired tasks. Confidence between both owner and dog is paramount in producing a great retriever and I’ve been a firm believer that you must spend as much time with them (like your child) in order to create that bond. They love you as much as you love them.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
One little bit of advice….spend as much time as humanly possible with her! And I mean in all venues you inhabit. Once bonded, this will create an inseparable and trustworthy relationship that will strengthen your ability to achieving your desired tasks. Confidence between both owner and dog is paramount in producing a great retriever and I’ve been a firm believer that you must spend as much time with them (like your child) in order to create that bond. They love you as much as you love them.
That dog stays glued to me most hours of the day. She’s been to more real estate closings than most agents now 😂

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Excellent advice. I'm no pro expert, but I worked with a few trainers (I'm willing to bet you know them if you trained in NC over the last 25-40 years) while in college and trained a few dogs myself. My last lab, Hank, was the best gun dog/companion I've ever been around (I admit I am biased). I have always told people that I believe a large reason for this was the amount of time I was able to spend with him. Like wncdeerhunter said, we were together all the time for years. Makes for an incredible relationship. They don't call 'em "man's best friend" for no reason.

Last edited:

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Good job, looks like you all were in a good position to keep her comfortable and pretty much isolated from all the distractions that normally occur on an opening day AND a first hunt. Nothing better than hunting with with your dog and watching them do their thing!

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Good job, looks like you all were in a good position to keep her comfortable and pretty much isolated from all the distractions that normally occur on an opening day AND a first hunt. Nothing better than hunting with with your dog and watching them do their thing!
Mostly. It was a smaller field with only around 10 people hunting, so a pretty good place to cut her teeth. Enough birds flying to keep it interesting too. It was a long day - but she had a pond to cool off in and shade to hang out in- pretty pleasant all the way around.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Looks like Katy is well on her way to making you a great dog.. Thanks for sharing.......
Sure enough - I’m looking forward to what lies ahead for us. I took my Brittany out first yesterday, but then had to run back out around 5 so Katy could get in on the action. We picked up 4 more and she found/retrieved them all wellE318D300-76DB-434D-BF86-03D2F0B3B9E8.jpeg

TH80

Eight Pointer
Won’t be much longer and I’ll be expecting to see some pics of her with ducks she retrieved. Katy looks like she’s going to make a fine dog for you

Jimbob78

Twelve Pointer

TH80

Eight Pointer
Glad y’all had a better day than me. I know there will be plenty more pics of Katy and her retrieves this year. I’ve enjoyed the post from being a pup up to her first ducks. Looking forward to more updates this year.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
To me handling and watching the dog is better than shooting the birds myself
I’ve frequently left my shotgun behind when quail hunting. I’ve shot a thousand quail - prefer watching and seeing the dogs work over anything. I like shooting ducks but same applies there too