Fawns suck at survival....

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
I did my own study. Less fake wolves, hybrids and yotes yielded far more deer, turkeys, rabbits and maybe more quail (not certain on this one yet).

View attachment 48148

View attachment 48149

The pro wolf and coyote nonsense is an anti hunting agenda. Plain and simple. The compensatory breeding argument is a farce and is not backed up by real data. It is a myth peddled by the pro canid crowd. They tell the lie enough in hopes it will be viewed as fact. It is a lie nonetheless.

Nice! Looks like a mob hit. Why do some of them have bags?

Sent from wherever I was at the time...

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I think if we could get all of those darn deer hunters out of the woods we would have more deer. Everywhere you look in the fall you see nothing but pumpkin heads, posted signs, and ladder stands. I think you need to show proof that you paid taxes on land before you can hunt it. :panic::ROFLMAO:

And Wildlifer, CP33 works great for quail if you have 5,000 contiguous acres of farm and burned open woodland and dozens of miles of 30 foot plus field borders. :)

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I think if we could get all of those darn deer hunters out of the woods we would have more deer. Everywhere you look in the fall you see nothing but pumpkin heads, posted signs, and ladder stands. I think you need to show proof that you paid taxes on land before you can hunt it. :panic::ROFLMAO:

And Wildlifer, CP33 works great for quail if you have 5,000 contiguous acres of farm and burned open woodland and dozens of miles of 30 foot plus field borders. :)
Right quail are more landscape dependent than local. Part of our abstract is below.

Bobwhite density increased with the presence of field borders. Conversely, bobwhite density decreased as the percentage of urban, pasture, and forest lands increased. The presence of a field border did not influence occupancy, colonization, or extinction rates. However, as the percentage of cropland increased within the landscape, bobwhite occupancy increased and as the percentage of pasture increased, bobwhite colonization decreased. As the percentage of forest and urban increased and cropland decreased, bobwhite extinction rate increased. Our results indicated that local establishment of field borders does not increase bobwhite occupancy rates, but field borders can increase densities in suitable landscapes where bobwhite are present. Habitat restoration for bobwhite will most effectively increase population densities if focused in landscapes dominated by suitable cover types, where bobwhite occurrence is high.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Well I’m no biologist.....anymore, but I have several coyotes here and I also have a $h!t ton of deer. I currently have 4 does with fawns using my pasture. 2 fawns have twins and two have singles. One of the singles was born with something wrong with it left front leg. I’ve watched momma come get him out of a draw every afternoon and move it across my pasture to another thicket. It’s almost a month old now and those deer killing machine coyotes have yet to get it. Fawning cover for fawn survival is just as important as any of the other whitetail management strategies.
I’ve watched coyotes a lot from my house. I started shooting them this year. Now based on observations, I personally think coyotes are too lazy to catch a rabbit. Yes, they will eat one given the chance but They will not go in super thick patches after a rabbit when they can expend far less energy eating cotton rats, mice and other much easier critters to get. With my deer densities, it wouldn’t bother me if coyotes did get a few deer.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Well I’m no biologist.....anymore, but I have several coyotes here and I also have a $h!t ton of deer. I currently have 4 does with fawns using my pasture. 2 fawns have twins and two have singles. One of the singles was born with something wrong with it left front leg. I’ve watched momma come get him out of a draw every afternoon and move it across my pasture to another thicket. It’s almost a month old now and those deer killing machine coyotes have yet to get it. Fawning cover for fawn survival is just as important as any of the other whitetail management strategies.
I’ve watched coyotes a lot from my house. I started shooting them this year. Now based on observations, I personally think coyotes are too lazy to catch a rabbit. Yes, they will eat one given the chance but They will not go in super thick patches after a rabbit when they can expend far less energy eating cotton rats, mice and other much easier critters to get. With my deer densities, it wouldn’t bother me if coyotes did get a few deer.

It’s almost like they’re a plains/desert species at heart...

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Did I read that report right? They did a study on fawn survival in a area without many coyotes in Delaware and compared the results to areas in OTHER STATES where coyotes are more prevalent? Did it not occur to them that there might be other factors at play that influence fawn survival differently in different states? They mentioned that they were surprises by the occurrence of death caused by lone star ticks. Maybe that was not a problem in the area of Pennsylvania that they used for comparison? They mentioned that adverse weather plays a big part. Is it possible that their study was done at a time with severe weather was a bigger problem than normal?

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
I imagine all of that is discussed in the actual paper. The OP is basically just a summary of the paper.