Favorite tomato?

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
Cherokee purple is at the top for me with German Johnson running a close second. I grow all of mine in hay bales due to soil borne diseases. I've been pretty successful until last year when I was hit by a weird "disease". The plants would bloom, set fruit, grow the fruit but when it would start to ripen the entire fruit would turn to mush. At the risk of highjacking this thread, does anyone know what my problem is?

You probably have a nutrient balance problem. The hay probably has plenty or even excess nitrogen.

Try some calcium & potassium to help them set better. Gypsum or lime will give you the calcium. Gypsum won’t change the PH, while lime will.

Potassium is available as a bloom setter in lots of products.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Husky cherry reds the last couple years grew well, taste great.
where do you get the Cherokee purple ?
You can get C.P. wherever they sell Burpee plants...Lowes, Home Depot. I buy my plants from Renfrows in Matthews.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
You probably have a nutrient balance problem. The hay probably has plenty or even excess nitrogen.

Try some calcium & potassium to help them set better. Gypsum or lime will give you the calcium. Gypsum won’t change the PH, while lime will.

Potassium is available as a bloom setter in lots of products.
My barber told me to put a Tums in the bottom of the hole when planting to provide Calcium. I like to use 5-10-5 fertilizer for the higher phosphorus., but 10-10-10 is ok, just keep it >6" away from the base of the plant to prevent burning the stem. Also I throw in my crushed eggshells, but idk if it really makes any difference.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
After planting German Johnsons, Black Krim, Chrokee Purples, Better Boys, and Parks Whopper last year. I decided the Parks Whopper was my best & longest View attachment 41021producer, best tasting and hardiest plants. Weather cooperating, I am going to get everything planted a couple of weeks earlier this Spring. What are y'alls favorites?
20191031_204508.jpg

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
After planting German Johnsons, Black Krim, Chrokee Purples, Better Boys, and Parks Whopper last year. I decided the Parks Whopper was my best & longest View attachment 41021producer, best tasting and hardiest plants. Weather cooperating, I am going to get everything planted a couple of weeks earlier this Spring. What are y'alls favorites?

Is that a REALLY THICK sweater you're wearing at the bottom of the pic? :unsure: :eek:;)

I like romas for chili's and cherries for salads.

Never get tomato plants to beat the wilt anyways (yes I cut off the suckers).

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
"My barber told me to put a Tums in the bottom of the hole when planting to provide Calcium"
yes , first sight of blossom end rot you can crush tums and sprinkle around base.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Is that a REALLY THICK sweater you're wearing at the bottom of the pic? :unsure: :eek:;)

I like romas for chili's and cherries for salads.

Never get tomato plants to beat the wilt anyways (yes I cut off the suckers).
NCST8GUY, That is a hairy Argyle Sweater I wear in the summer while picking tomatoes. Sorry, I hope I did not ruin anyones supper.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I start my own. I take this annual catalog from baker creek seeds. They have a lot of heirlooms that have been almost forgotten. Highly recommend ....https://www.rareseeds.com/

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I start my own. I take this annual catalog from baker creek seeds. They have a lot of heirlooms that have been almost forgotten. Highly recommend ....https://www.rareseeds.com/

I believe it was our own ZG who would travel to Tennessee and pick up tomato plants, and they grew to Biblical amounts! I asked him once to pick me up 2 plants. He did. I almost gave up after growing those 2 plants. It was probably 6 years ago. Nothing I have grown since has even come close!

Going Coastal

Eight Pointer
I like them all , but the parks whopper and yellow german johnson produce best for me.

100_0286.jpg

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Seriously gentlemen if you have never planted and/or eaten a Parks Whopper you need to. Best dang tomato out there.