Favorite smells

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Skunk to certain degree

exactly,,,faint whiffs of it remind me of my youth tramping the woods and fields of northern Wisconsin,,,
made a lot of money off skunks,,,got paid to trap them from farmers and then sold the hides and the meat to rendering plant in town,,,

good times

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
When I smell a paper mill, I am brought back in my mind to my first hunting in the Carolinas....just outside of Georgetown, SC, in the early 2000's. Unpleasant smell but it's permanently paired with good memories of this hillbilly's first flatland hunting.
My first hunting memories were in the deep woods of Anson County in the early 90’s. Our land was right between the county airport and a dog food company. You could always tell the wind direction when you could smell the rankness of dog food cooking.

The woods were wilder and more remote back then.

Thomas270

Ten Pointer
Spent shotgun shells on a cool fall morning.

One of my top fives for sure. Random derailment for a hot second, but can anybody explain to me why right after you shoot at game when it’s cold your next breath you exhale looks like locomotive steam coming out of your mouth then it goes back to hardly nothing right after, Is it just adrenaline pumping after the shot? It’s just as cold as it was before the shot right? Just an oddity I’ve noticed over the years of duck hunting.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
One of my top fives for sure. Random derailment for a hot second, but can anybody explain to me why right after you shoot at game when it’s cold your next breath you exhale looks like locomotive steam coming out of your mouth then it goes back to hardly nothing right after, Is it just adrenaline pumping after the shot? It’s just as cold as it was before the shot right? Just an oddity I’ve noticed over the years of duck hunting.

Maybe as you hold the breath to steady the shot the first breath after the shot is hotter, deeper and thus more noticable?

C52

Eight Pointer
Eating outside of burger boy in Wilson beside the tobacco warehouse before the warehouse closed. A 2 stroke motorcycle.

rescue934

Twelve Pointer
Pulling the saddle off my horse after a long ride in the mountains.
The dirt and smells standing in the middle of a rodeo arena right before the national anthem.
My Dads aftershave.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
camp fire , honey suckle bushes, smoke from a smoker any kind of wood, smell of a cold fall morning when the leaves are falling.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Fraser Fir and Balsam Fir. The smell of the high country.
A buddy and I camped up in the Flat Tops in Co for the whole month of September and that's one smell I could never forget. We cut fir boughs to use as cushions for our sleeping bags and piled them about 2 foot high and set our bags on top of them. The smell of those fresh cut boughs would sure clear your sinuses in that little tent.

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
The smell of the horse barn. Hay, leather, horse sweat. The barn was my favorite place as a young teen.

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
RJR curing tobacco, I'm fortunate enough to live close enough to sometimes get a afternoon of that hot maple syrup smell.
Wild fire azaleas
Swamp ginger lily
Bream on the bed
Prince Albert in the can, just for the memory of my grand dad.
Fresh danish yeast rolls
So many more that have already been named

I love that smell. ( tobacco) I used to have a place to hunt close to the plant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
sour mash/yeast brewing
Live just a couple of miles from the Crown Royal distillery and every now and then the wind is just right

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A smell that I miss is the old school banana boat sun tan oil smell fresh off a Mexico Beach sun worshiper with a tiny little piece of cloth.....well you get the idea. I grew up on and around Mexico Beach Florida and probably have overdosed on that smell more times than I can remember, ah...memories. :)

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
A smell that I miss is the old school banana boat sun tan oil smell fresh off a Mexico Beach sun worshiper with a tiny little piece of cloth.....well you get the idea. I grew up on and around Mexico Beach Florida and probably have overdosed on that smell more times than I can remember, ah...memories. :)
It's been a long time since I've smelled that stuff but I would recognize it anywhere. Those were good times but if I'm at the beach now it's fishing and the bait I carry isn't nearly as attractive to the banana boat girls . ?