Favorite Picatinny Offset

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I want to put a 45 degree offset picatinny mount under a variable scope. What's your favorite for mounting a holographic sight or reflex?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I want to put a 45 degree offset picatinny mount under a variable scope. What's your favorite for mounting a holographic sight or reflex?
I prefer to co-witness mine if possible just due to the possibility of a dead battery or problem at the worst possible time. But I like the Diamondhead sights if I had to go offset, they are sturdy and won't break the bank for a good , solid sight.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Cowitness a standard variable scope to a holographic sight?
no, co-witness a set of open sights to a red dot or holographic sight....sorry for the confusion. I was responding to your second part of the question. Public school literacy ya know. :)

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
no, co-witness a set of open sights to a red dot or holographic sight....sorry for the confusion. I was responding to your second part of the question. Public school literacy ya know. :)

I knew about cowitnessing irons and holographic. I thought I was about to learn something new. Darn.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I knew about cowitnessing irons and holographic. I thought I was about to learn something new. Darn.
You may learn something new from some folks on here, but my knowledge on this stuff isn't up to their snuff.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
What’s the function of the rifle?
Generally, if you’re going with a lvpo optic, I’d save the weight and not run an offset sight. If the primary optic won’t be 0-1x magnification perhaps it’d be more worthwhile.
Daniel Defense and Arisaka make pretty good offset mounts.

depending on the rail system, you might be to mount it near the receiver but on the rail via an mlok or keymod slot as some rails have slots at 11 and 1 o’clock positions.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I use the A2 style with glass that has any power. Magpul makes some good ones that are flip up. Keeps them out of the way.
Have not tried any 45 deg red dot or anything else like that.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I've been on 3 or 4 (lowest setting) with both eyes open shooting deer trotting mere feet away. I have stuff with just a holographic that limits range. So I know the disadvantage of something being too close while sweeping around obstacles and targets too far away to make a precise shot.

I always made dedicated setups and I'm wanting to do something different. This is going to be my 'Lego Creator' gun, it can be cool and not necessarily make sense. My plan is to experiment with building a varmint/defense combo that will fit in the tractor to poke yotes and offer speed in almost in my face shots.

This particular rifle does have 11" mlok. I don't know if I want the side sight so far forward that I catch it on things, so I thought about tucking it under the eyepiece. I'm thinking a 3-9 on top and mlok bipod (possibly magpul). Likely use a 10 round mag to keep profile low in the cab and weight low. May even mount a flashlight.

I can take it off if I don't like it.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I ran a 45 degree offset rail by warne for a little while. I found it kind of awkward and honestly I never used the fastfire I had on the offset rail so I ended up dumping that and using the offset rail to mount a green kill light on that AR. Your mileage may vary from mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've been on 3 or 4 (lowest setting) with both eyes open shooting deer trotting mere feet away. I have stuff with just a holographic that limits range. So I know the disadvantage of something being too close while sweeping around obstacles and targets too far away to make a precise shot.

I always made dedicated setups and I'm wanting to do something different. This is going to be my 'Lego Creator' gun, it can be cool and not necessarily make sense. My plan is to experiment with building a varmint/defense combo that will fit in the tractor to poke yotes and offer speed in almost in my face shots.

This particular rifle does have 11" mlok. I don't know if I want the side sight so far forward that I catch it on things, so I thought about tucking it under the eyepiece. I'm thinking a 3-9 on top and mlok bipod (possibly magpul). Likely use a 10 round mag to keep profile low in the cab and weight low. May even mount a flashlight.

I can take it off if I don't like it.

sounds like a great concept and very versatile.
not trying to sway you, but you may benefit from a low power, variable objective, in the 1-6x range.
1x has been very useful for me in closeup shooting; so much so ive not needed the reflex sight. no trouble to increase the magnification if you need to.

a flashlight on that rifle makes a lot of sense as well.