Favorite Full Choke

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
This year I got really comfortable shooting tighter chokes, but the new gun I bought doesn’t have a ‘steel-safe’ full choke, so I’m looking for an aftermarket one. I like the Patternmaster Code Black duck in my Franchi, but since I’ll be shooting 3” and 3.5” in this new gun I’m not sure if patternmaster is still the best option as their chokes react differently to different length shells. Considering a kicks full, Carlson’s LR, or Mueller “Passing”. Let me know what y’all have shot, liked, disliked, whatever.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ve been impressed with my muellers for clay shooting.

it would be worth calling them and telling them what you want to do. They test their stuff a lot and can probably give you a really good idea on what to expect.

Clark

Ten Pointer
Curious. Does anyone shoot a full choke with steel? What situations call for this? Other than turkeys...

CBD21

Eight Pointer
I have a Carlson cremator set for every shotgun I own with the LR and MR hardly ever stick a LR in but the chokes are hard to beat for the money.

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
Curious. Does anyone shoot a full choke with steel? What situations call for this? Other than turkeys...
Every situation for me, clark. Whether it's flooded timber or the open sound. I don't care much for chasing cripples down ymmv

Last edited:

Clark

Ten Pointer
Every situation for me, clark. Whether it's flooded timber or the open sound. I don't care much for chasing cripples down ymmv
Guess I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I can't hit much at long range so I want the most open pattern I can get for closer in stuff. Never patterned it, but my mental image of steel thru a full choke is more like a rifle.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
My gun patterns better with a mod, even at longer ranges. I shoot #1 steel though. They say smaller shot like #4 will pattern ok through a full choke. I wouldn’t know.

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
Shot modified for most of my life until I acquired a benelli m1 with a full choke stuck in the barrel. Took it with me on a hunt and the rest is history. All of a sudden I don't have to break necks on birds i shot at 30-40 yards. Guess Ive been using that gun for about 8-10 yrs now

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
I love my Kicks chokes. Just remember all 12 gauge barrels are not the same diameter. So a modified in one gun (manufacturer) may be a full in another. It all has to do with how much the choke constricts the shot at the end of the barrel. If you really want to learn about "chokes" call those guys at Kicks and they can educate you quickly. Great customer service. It is really nice to call and talk to someone that knows their stuff and is not simply reading off of a card.

cootmayne

Button Buck
Carlson Modified and Improved Modified is what I shoot. The kent 2s shoot better out of the modified in my gun and the hevi steel 2s shoot better out of the improved modified. Ive tried a full before and not really liked the patterns out of the shells I shoot. I am good to 35- 40 yards which is as far as Id ever consider shooting at a duck. 3.5 BB's for geese the modified shoots best as well.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I started using a Patternmaster Code Black this year which seems to pattern about like a full choke with 3” shells. I really liked it even for woodies in the timber at 15 yards because it really cut down my number of cripples. And now that I’m doing a lot more hunting on bigger water, being able to kill a bird cleanly instead of chasing it in the boat makes all the difference.