Favorite calibers

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Obviously this is purely subjective. For hunting my personal preference:
308 or
300WM-(extended range)
Ive got a multitude of other calibers, and they all are great cartridges in their own right; but for versatility its hard to beat a 308 (or 30-06).

For pistols my CC is a 9mm, but I prefer a 45 or magnum wheel gun and one is always close. In the winter when I can get by with it, my 9mm gets traded out for a Colt Double Eagle 45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CBD21

Eight Pointer
I use a .300wm sendero sfll for all my big game hunting

For carry it's either a .380 or 9mm depending on the day

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I love the 7mm WM for all around big game.
.45 acp for carry, but my typical CC is. 9mm or .380 , sometimes even a .22magnum

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
3006 if I could only have one.
It will kill about everything in the world just fine with a good load.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
to me that is two different subjects,,,,,most practical/best all around caliber(s), in most cases, aren't my favorites,,,,,,I have the utmost respect for 308, 30-06, 300WM etc and have many (way many) rounds through all of them in various types,,,,,,

but when I find myself dreaming of a catridge it's normally something like a 250-3000 (have a Savage 99 in that), 25-20, 32-20, etc,,,,I don't know what it is about them but they have intrigued me since a kid,,,,,most aint worth more than a good varmit gun but I gues I read Larry Kohlers' "Shots at Whitetails" one to many times when I was an impressionable youth,,,,,,,,,

but when it comes time to hunt, I use whatever is the right caliber/gun combo that I have for that species and the area I am hunting,,,,,,

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
3006 if I could only have one.
It will kill about everything in the world just fine with a good load.
That's what I've pretty much always hunted with and it's an awesome round. I don't currently own a 7mm Magnum of any kind so I guess it's a case of always wanting something you don't have.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
.260 Remington is my current favorite but may be replaced by the .284 Winchester soon.

<>< Fish

Both great rounds and any time I see one in a rifle i like......
7bbc06774b75671a21a0347b81d0fe3e.jpg

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Both great rounds and any time I see one in a rifle i like......
7bbc06774b75671a21a0347b81d0fe3e.jpg

I know what you mean. Whenever I get excited about a new something-or-other my wallet tells me to calm my arse down. :(

<>< Fish

Last edited:

Guybo

Eight Pointer
My favorite deer hunting caliber is the 25.06 followed by the 260. My favorite paper puncher and target caliber is the .308. If I could only own one caliber it would be the 30.06.

Raging Bull

Four Pointer
.260 or .300 WSM for deer. .40 cal for CC. I have used numerous other calipers for both but keep falling back to these.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
The hyphenated calibers interest me a lot. I like medium bores, it seems. Then again a couple I would jump on in a minute if a good deal came along would be a 25-35 or a 25-20. Right now I have big rifles from .270 to .38-55(actually shot a .380" cast bullet). Dang I forgot about the .45LC and of course I have a .22 rimfire.

Like I told a shop owner one day when he ask "Could he help me and what type of firearm did I want ?" I replied I want them all, but I recon I need to set priorities on what I want first.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
7mm-08 is my favorite caliber for deer with the .257 Wby a close second. But for long range shooting for fun the 6.5 Creedmoor and my 30-378 Wby Mag take the cake.

Last edited:

onthefly

I have owned many different calibers I would have to say my favorite deer caliber is .270 although in the past 10yrs I have become fond of 300wsm. I don't really know why but it seems every Saturday morning when opening the cabinet during deer season I grab one of my 300wsm's I have harvested 95% more deer with a .270 though lol I don't know maybe it's the thought of long range lol

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I have owned many different calibers I would have to say my favorite deer caliber is .270 although in the past 10yrs I have become fond of 300wsm. I don't really know why but it seems every Saturday morning when opening the cabinet during deer season I grab one of my 300wsm's I have harvested 95% more deer with a .270 though lol I don't know maybe it's the thought of long range lol

The .270Win is a long range round. With modern bullets even more so. :)

<>< Fish

NickP

Ten Pointer
I own a 308 now but would probably say my old wood stock savage 270 was my fav. Killed many deer with it. And wish I never sold it.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
The .270Win is a long range round. With modern bullets even more so. :)

< Fish

I was genuinely surprised when i compared a 270 130gn sst to a 308 150gn sst and not only did the 270 have a bit more speed and energy but also had a higher BC despite being lighter and the same design.

Last edited:

22LR

Twelve Pointer
Years ago I would have said a 30-06. I then went to a 7mm mag & thought it was my favorite. Got my daughters into hunting & now .243 is my favorite deer rifle:greenjump:

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Having gotten on in years and not as active afield as I once was I got the bug to build a rifle which would pretty much do everything I needed it to. Even though I own several 30-06's, an 8mm-06 for timber hunting, a .243, a .223, a .303 and several other obsolete milsurps it was time to make a departure from the norm. Not seeing the necessity for any of the magnum calibers I did a ton of research on ballistics, bullet choices, etc. to come up with a caliber that was accurate, flat shooting, could be loaded up or down with adequately successful results and it wouldn't kick the snot out of me and the end result was the .280 Remington, an underrated caliber which suffered from Remington having shot itself in the foot twice during and after it's introduction. It can be loaded to closely approach the performance of a 7mm Mag at a fraction of the cost and will dish out much less physical abuse, so short version; that's my favorite.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I shot 280 in bench comps back in the day, great round at 1000 yds.

SadisticBoar1999

3006 or 308, you can't go wrong; plenty of ammo and grain to choose from and they are not that expensive.
A professional dangerous game hunter took out a Cape buffalo one shot with a 3006.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Just give me my 22 and my 25-06 and I doubt nobody round me would ever starve to death.......

Last edited:

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
The only thing wrong with the .280 is its lack of popularity, thus lack of ammo on the store shelves. If you handload, it really is a serious contender for most versatile rifle cartridge.

For deer, I'm good with any of the more popular centerfires from .243 to .338 .

Last edited: