Favorite Bear Recipes?

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Whatcha all got? I’ve got tenderloins , little bit of shoulder, and some hams. So far I’m thinkin crock pot recipes and trying to do something on the smoker . Interested to hear how y’all like it

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Lol thanks! At first I had an eerie feeling you were gonna put up a link to me posting this exact same question a few days ago or something. Sometimes I can’t remember whether I posted something, thought about posting but didn’t , dreamt that I posted something, or was thinking about something that someone else already posted. Hunting obsessions do weird things to your brain

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
ae866b423b68334791f016d145614ac5.jpg

Sassage...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
We make a lot of loose bear sausage. It makes awesome spaghetti, chili, lasagna etc . We boil the ribs in beer until tender than put on the grill with a sweet BBQ sauce until it gets a nice bark which is my favorite way to eat it .Roast go into the crook pot with beef broth and veggies until tender . To me the butchering process is what makes the difference. I usually take a whole day to cut , grind and package.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Thanks for the info fellers. Also got plenty of ideas from all the stuff @woodmoose linked. Got home last night and my wife did bear stew in the instapot. It was great. Might do something on the smoker this weekend. Ya know, if I’m not too occupied bear hunting

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
1” steaks, dredged and breaded with Italian crumbs. Pan fried, then baked in white wine/drippings/cream of shroom gravy til tender.
Do you not worry about trich with bears pan fried? I'd be afraid and end up overcooking it.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Do you not worry about trich with bears pan fried? I'd be afraid and end up overcooking it.
Well, I have a thermapen, so no, I’m not worried about tric.

I’m also not worried about it, because that particular recipe is baked after it’s fried...

If you don’t have an instant read therm, just pound it thin and schnitzel it, it will be at tric killing temp way before its browned.

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
Might be a little fancy for some of y’all but a sous vide wand does miracles with bear meat and a lot of wild game. It breaks down the connective tissue and kills any parasites. Many food born pathogens and parasites are killed by a function of time and temp. Trichinosis is killed in a couple of seconds at 165 but takes longer at lower temps but still just as dead at 130 for several (8 or so) hours. You can then take the steaks and quickly sear them or grill them med rare but safe to eat. Bear meat stir fry or med rare roast bear (beef) sandwich with horseradish is awesome.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
You now have a wife for cooking. You must explain if you don't go hunting there will be nothing to cook .🤣🤣
Lol it also helped that she came with us the other weekend. She got totally hooked on watching and listening to the hounds. The meat they gave her to take to the house sealed the deal. Also helps that she’s the antithesis of a nagging wife. While a few of us were skinning and butchering, she was with one of the feller’s wives feeding, watering, and cleaning kennels

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Might be a little fancy for some of y’all but a sous vide wand does miracles with bear meat and a lot of wild game. It breaks down the connective tissue and kills any parasites. Many food born pathogens and parasites are killed by a function of time and temp. Trichinosis is killed in a couple of seconds at 165 but takes longer at lower temps but still just as dead at 130 for several (8 or so) hours. You can then take the steaks and quickly sear them or grill them med rare but safe to eat. Bear meat stir fry or med rare roast bear (beef) sandwich with horseradish is awesome.
You should post a pic of that contraption . Case in point: “hey honey, check out this thing you should buy and make good food with.”

DADOGG14

Eight Pointer
I cut the tenderloin into small pieces and marinate in soy, W sauce, and a splash of olive oil. Coat in corn starch and fry in peanut oil, then make stir fry noodles and stir fry sauce and mix with peppers onions and mushrooms. It’s delicious, my 8 yr old eats it’s straight out of the grease as fast as I can fry it.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I cut the tenderloin into small pieces and marinate in soy, W sauce, and a splash of olive oil. Coat in corn starch and fry in peanut oil, then make stir fry noodles and stir fry sauce and mix with peppers onions and mushrooms. It’s delicious, my 8 yr old eats it’s straight out of the grease as fast as I can fry it.
That sounds killer! My wife is a huge fan of Worcestershire and soy too

KrisB

Ten Pointer
What does bear meat taste like? I'd like to try it sometime.

Someone should bring a bear recipe to the Wild Game Dinner, if they have it this year. I don't think there was any last year, if I remember right.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
you SIr,,have a good Wife!!
Shhh don’t tell her. I want her to keep thinking SHE is the one that married up the chain.

What does bear meat taste like? I'd like to try it sometime.

Someone should bring a bear recipe to the Wild Game Dinner, if they have it this year. I don't think there was any last year, if I remember right.
Depends on preparation I reckon. But it’s pretty dang good when made right. When’s the dinner? Last year , Prune and I talked about it...then I believe you n I talked about it...then it was over n done with and I don’t remember why I didn’t go lol