Faulty Fuel Pump

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
*WARNING* Friendship Nissan of Boone sold me a defective fuel pump for my Nissan Pathfinder and is refusing to warranty their work. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY!!!
nissan.png

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
sold me a defective fuel pump for my Nissan Pathfinder and is refusing to warranty their work.

Two different things, warranty on the part or warranty on the work done.
He stated they would not warranty the work.
Electronic parts are for the most part covered different. Sometimes only warranty covering the part if dealer installed.

I'm sure there is more to the story. Need details if they want us to trust or believe any wrong doing.
As much as you pay for them there should be a warranty on OEM parts.

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
I had fuel pump problems with my truck a few months ago. I wasn't happy to break down multiple times, but the AAA Service Center in Raleigh warranted their parts and labor. Didn't charge me a dime after the first visit.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
Sure the fuel pump is the problem? Nissan also had a recall on the connector ring thing, on top of the tank. The wires inside the plastic, that go to the fuel pump would "open up". Plenty of fuel pumps were replaced that weren't faulty. Pathfinders and Frontiers were affected

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I went to the dealership and they replaced my fuel pump in October 2019 with what should have been an OEM fuel pump (There is some discrepancy as the part number is not an Nissan OEM part number). 4 days later my Path finder blew a head gasket. It took me a better part of a year to locate a motor, get the old out and get the new one installed. the path finder wasn't running correctly yet so i took it to another Nissan dealer and they said the fuel pump was bad but would warrantee the part, problem is it is two months out of nissan's 12000 mile/12 month warranty. Mind you this on vehicle that only ran 4 days after the pump was changed. Either the first dealership installed a defective fuel pump or the second dealership doesn't how to diagnose a bad fuel pump.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
I went to the dealership and they replaced my fuel pump in October 2019 with what should have been an OEM fuel pump (There is some discrepancy as the part number is not an Nissan OEM part number). 4 days later my Path finder blew a head gasket. It took me a better part of a year to locate a motor, get the old out and get the new one installed. the path finder wasn't running correctly yet so i took it to another Nissan dealer and they said the fuel pump was bad but would warrantee the part, problem is it is two months out of nissan's 12000 mile/12 month warranty. Mind you this on vehicle that only ran 4 days after the pump was changed. Either the first dealership installed a defective fuel pump or the second dealership doesn't how to diagnose a bad fuel pump.

Did you move during that time? Why take it to a different dealer?

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It broke down in Boone, NC and I had it towed to AutoStar Nissan which in March became Friendship Nissan of Boone. I live closer to McNeill Nissan of Wilkesboro so took it there to have the problem diagnosed.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Thats cut and dry.
It is out of warranty correct? Gone past the warranty by time.
Most warranty starts on sale or service of parts.
It is not based on how things get used or when.

If you buy a new truck and park it. Then 3 years later start driving. It would be the same thing, out of warranty based on time even if it had 10 miles on it.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've worked in tractor dealerships for 35 years and it works similar to cars. The problem with a warranty is the manufacturer is strict on dates/mileage. You're 2 months over warranty and amount of use doesn't affect that. That means the dealer would have to eat the part and labor costs if they made an exception. We have done that for regular customers at times. Sometimes we can get the manufacturer to cover all or some of the cost as a "good wil policy" if we explain the customer has bought from us several times and likely will in the future. Not what you want to hear but it's how it works....

Last edited:

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well luckily I am a stubborn AHole and have learned over the years not to take no for an answer. Today I am dealing with corporate Nissan customer service. I will continue to make a stink until they fix it to make me go away. I can understand if the vehicle had been on the road, but it wasn't and I have documented proof. The warranty was written with a vehicle in service in mind. As far as I am concerned the warranty is only 4 days old. If the fuel pump is truly broke then it is a manufacturer defect and needs to be made right. I will continue my campaign on social media causing the dealership to lose business until it is made right.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well luckily I am a stubborn AHole and have learned over the years not to take no for an answer. Today I am dealing with corporate Nissan customer service. I will continue to make a stink until they fix it to make me go away. I can understand if the vehicle had been on the road, but it wasn't and I have documented proof. The warranty was written with a vehicle in service in mind. As far as I am concerned the warranty is only 4 days old. If the fuel pump is truly broke then it is a manufacturer defect and needs to be made right. I will continue my campaign on social media causing the dealership to lose business until it is made right.
Mechanical parts are not designed to sit for long periods of time in general. If it has been sitting for a year and then breaks that is not necessarily a mfg defect. While I understand the frustration, I am on the side of the dealer here. Warranty date is the warranty date. I am pretty sure if you tell the full story your campaign against the dealership will not be all that effective.. not to mention untruthful.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
How do you know it was a manufacturer defect?
Was it sent to a lab for testing?
Could be fuel related with all the crap they add in the fuel, could be the connectors or any other problem.

Not saying you should not climb the chain and make calls or ask for help but no need to show your ASS doing it.
Was the truck at the dealer for the full time? They do the work on the motor?
Why is the part number different?

If it is not their part no warranty there....
Did the paperwork list the part and part number when replaced? Was it out of stock and they offered a replacement from a local parts dealer when they did it.

They are in the right, it is out of warranty.
They can also help you on parts, labor, both, or nothing based on how you approach it with them.
Just me but I would have talked to everyone I could before I made a public bitch fest.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
CJ, probably not what you would like to hear, but there is a reason warranties are limited to mileage AND time, especially electrical components such as fuel pumps. Once installed, the submersible pumps actually last longer if used regularly. Long durations of non use will actually kill a new(ish) pump. I have experienced the exact same situation several times. So, I submit, not so much a bad pump as much as a bad set of circumstances.......

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
This right here is the exact reason that we have time/mileage warranties. Why is it their problem that your motor popped and the pump sat dormant submerged in decaying fuel for over a year? I deal almost exclusively in classics, so I see the effects of being parked on a daily basis and this isn’t a big surprise. If you want the dealer to do anything, showing your ass isn’t going to get you anywhere simply because they don’t have to help you. That would be a courtesy on their part. It’s a series of unfortunate events, but that doesn’t mean it’s their problem

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
UPDATE: Dealer installed a Non OEM part without notifying me. It is not looking too good for them. Nissan corporate won't honor the warranty because it wasn't their part, but the dealer is in doo doo.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
UPDATE: Dealer installed a Non OEM part without notifying me. It is not looking too good for them. Nissan corporate won't honor the warranty because it wasn't their part, but the dealer is in doo doo.
Even that said the warranty was expired cut and dry...

Your only hope is that the people that supply the part have a longer warranty.
Then you could get the part replaced and only be out labor.

Who replaced the motor? You or someone else?
It sounds like you replaced the motor, doing a fuel pump is easy.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns

Are you sure? Have you read the small print on the estimate or invoice?

Here is the small print at my dealer:

"By leaving your car for servicing or repair, you are expressly consenting to the installation of either new, remanufactured, refurbished or aftermarket third party parts at the discretion of the servicer."

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Just looked at my last service papers.
Said almost the same 100%.
With parts being so hard to find it is going on a bunch.
Most the time if they need to use a part not in stock or on national back order they will sometimes ask..... want to wait a few months or use aftermarket parts? But their fine print also covers that. Still being beyond the standard warranty time there would be no obligation...

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Now I do appreciate if the dealer service adviser asks me if a non-OEM part is okay. When the alternator was replaced on my SUV, the OEM part was not in stock and would require a few days to get sent to the dealer. On the other hand, a third party alternator was available immediately. They explained that the key difference was the labor was not warranted for the third party part. Since the vehicle already had over 200k miles, I figured the third party was fine since I would probably not be driving this vehicle when it needs another alternator. That became true.

richard corn

Ten Pointer

What don't you understand about terms of warranty. Term is dictated by date of sale not the date you think it should be.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
Did you pay for an OEM part?. Most dealers I've dealt with will install whatever you want, and price it accordingly. As far as the pump being out of date, I can totally understand. I had a neighbor spend almost 2 years building his house, but didn't buy a well pump until he was ready to move in. He didn't want the 1 year warranty to expire before he got a chance to use it