father and son, new turkey hunters looking for tips

pir8rn

Six Pointer
I frequent Shocco Creek gameland, which should be less than an hour East of you. It's not a permit hunt though so sometimes it's a little crowded. Never been during youth week so maybe there's less traffic then.

You (and son) are welcome to join me on scouting trips/hunts there if you'd like. I wouldn't call it fully guided service, but it's free so you should definitely get what you pay for... Haha

TarheelTurkey

Six Pointer
I’m on NWTF committee in person and if you guys want to come to our annual youth dove hunt in September shoot me a DM and I will give you those dates after turkey season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MRBJWB

Button Buck
First off, I would like to thank everyone on this forum for all the great tips and suggestions, you are all very kind and knowledgeable. Our Hunter Saftey Cards cards came in time for me to take the boy out this morning on a squirrel hunt. We did not see any squirrels but found plenty of Deer sign, and spooked two. We also think we heard Turkey yelps off in the distance. Even though we did not see a squirrel, it was a great morning and it gave him practice sitting still watching and listening to the woods.

I also have a favor to ask ya'll. Attached is a picture of some scat we found. Is it turkey?

Attachments

• 02-20-2020Scat.jpeg
    02-20-2020Scat.jpeg
    470 KB · Views: 22

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Nope not turkey. You can find pics of turkey scat on net look at some and it'll be noticible when found. They'll be spending lot tone in openings now especially if clover look there for easy place find it

MRBJWB

Button Buck
Nope not turkey. You can find pics of turkey scat on net look at some and it'll be noticible when found. They'll be spending lot tone in openings now especially if clover look there for easy place find it
Thanks for the response. I think I have found a good page with turkey scat. images.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I’m not an expert but I’ve been ok with bagging and gotten handy at calling in hems and toms. Some say call sparingly and I disagree..... call loudly sparsely ... feeding hens constantly cluck purr and putt and so should you buy these are soft calls and you will be amazed how far a way a receptive Tom will hear em and come in. In 99% of the situations I’ve been in a simple feeding hen decoy is all you need if any and those are about $12 for a decent foam hen.

For ever way you find to kill a turkey you’ll find 500 ways to f it up lol

MRBJWB

Button Buck
I’m not an expert but I’ve been ok with bagging and gotten handy at calling in hems and toms. Some say call sparingly and I disagree..... call loudly sparsely ... feeding hens constantly cluck purr and putt and so should you buy these are soft calls and you will be amazed how far a way a receptive Tom will hear em and come in. In 99% of the situations I’ve been in a simple feeding hen decoy is all you need if any and those are about $12 for a decent foam hen.

For ever way you find to kill a turkey you’ll find 500 ways to f it up lol

Thanks for the advice. I am trying to practice my calling softly. Loud was easy. LOL