Fancy Trail Cell Cameras

I am interested to know if any of you have tried these new "Cell trail cameras" that upload to an app on your phone via the camera. I have read reviews some good some bad at all price points. SpyPoint Micro is a entry level with 100 *free* picture uploads any experience with them? Looks like it may or may not work but Customer Services is bad if there are problems. I have major concerns with the cell service where I (North Hampton Co) hunt spotty at best but there is one property where I get 4g consistently.

Any real life experiences appreciated!

Almost time...!

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
We are running two of the SpyPoint Micros currently. If you search on here you'll see a lot of in depth reviews on them. We've had ours for about three weeks now and so far they are working great. No experience on CS as we havent had to use them, they just worked out of the box. I also run 6 x Cover Cell Cameras and they are even better in my opinion but they cost over double. For the price, I've been impressed with the Micros and they are plenty functional if you are just wanting to monitor activity. The pictures arent as good but they are good enough and the app could work better but it works well enough to use it.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
I bought the moultrie xa7000, which is the at&t version, back in late June. It has worked great so far. The only hiccup was when it didn't send pics one day I called customer service the next day. Not long after the phone call I recieved an email saying an automatic server update was supposed to push through to all the cameras, but if yours stopped recieving pictures you would need to go out and power the camera off then back on. Once I did that everything was working like it was supposed to again. This camera was 179.00 but has a 50.00 mail in rebate. The trigger speed is good enough where I have several bird pics in midflight crossing in front of it.

ddavenport

Six Pointer
Contributor
Bought my first Spypoint Micro a week ago. Bought the Verizon version and it has worked flawlessly so far. Have 2 bars of service out of 5 and that seems to be good enough.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
I am not interested enough to start paying for something else just to see what deer may be in front of my camera at that moment, love deer hunting and putting out cameras ,but not that much to pay for it other than the camera and batteries for it. besides it is the wonder when you check the card what is on it.

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Never used the cell ones, but Covert makes a good cam and most people who use the cell versions seem to like them. I ran Coverts for years awhile back.

drhunter1

Four Pointer
I've had the Link Evo for a few years and like it. Since the Micro is 119.00 I'm going to try it since their pricing structure has changed for the better. If you don't want to pay ANYTHING, you get 100 free pictures a month.! Also if you go to Trailcam pros and order from them, they will handle any problems. Although they're out of the Micros at the moment:(

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Yes, that's correct. Not sure who your question was directed to, but since I knew the answer I figured I'd chime in.

dropnbassonu

Four Pointer
I've been interested in these cell trail cameras and don't understand the monthly fees, etc. I'm wanting to know what fees on top of the price of the camera I can expect to pay. I know there are typically a few different packages that include X amount of pictures, but is that the only additional price? Do I have to pay Verizon each month something or pay a yearly fee to the manufacturer? Can I just pay the fee(s) from August-January? Thanks.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
I've been interested in these cell trail cameras and don't understand the monthly fees, etc. I'm wanting to know what fees on top of the price of the camera I can expect to pay. I know there are typically a few different packages that include X amount of pictures, but is that the only additional price? Do I have to pay Verizon each month something or pay a yearly fee to the manufacturer? Can I just pay the fee(s) from August-January? Thanks.

It varies by manufacturer. I'm only familiar with SpyPoint and Covert. For Spypoint, you get 100 free photos a month without doing anything but if you want more than you have to buy a plan and the plans you pay are per camera with the most common being $10 per camera for 1000 photos. For Covert, you pay for a base amount of photos that includes one camera and each additional camera you add to that package is $5. On both you pay them directly and they handle the wireless carrier so it has nothing to do with your current cell phone plan.

dropnbassonu

Four Pointer
It varies by manufacturer. I'm only familiar with SpyPoint and Covert. For Spypoint, you get 100 free photos a month without doing anything but if you want more than you have to buy a plan and the plans you pay are per camera with the most common being $10 per camera for 1000 photos. For Covert, you pay for a base amount of photos that includes one camera and each additional camera you add to that package is $5. On both you pay them directly and they handle the wireless carrier so it has nothing to do with your current cell phone plan.

Thanks, that helps a lot!