Famous houndsman quotes ?

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
Well the board has been real serious here lately with everything going on in the world today I thought everybody could use a good laugh.
what some of yalls favorite sayings you’ve heard from hunters or houndman.
One of my favorites :
Boys I've been had - the warden caught me last night."

People looked and someone said, "What did they get you for?"

He said, "I was running my dogs and they caught the woods on fire burning a coon up!

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Me after seeing my grandpa feeding his dogs: grandpa dogs don't eat collards. Him: son if you don't have anything else to feed them they will eat collards

RJ1

Ten Pointer
I have heard alot but most cannot be shared on a public website, two I do remember old men sitting around the camp fire talking about what they feed their hounds my grandad asked Jim what he feeds his hounds that makes them look so good and perform so well he says turnip greens grandad says turnip greens my hounds will not eat turnip greens Jim says mine didn't either for the first two weeks. Heard the great foxhunter {and moonshiner} Percy Flowers say one time after having one of his high dollar hounds run over by a car that " if you can't afford to lose him you can't afford to own him." However that hound did live and became a really good stud dog.

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
This is a story that was told to me:
This guy met up to show him a rabbit dog the dog almost instantly struck and ran track about 100yards and just went silent after about 15 mins the dog struck again and you could tell he was a good half mile from where he was before the guy turned and looked at the owner and said what was that? The owner said he was on posted property and he didn’t want to get caught so he went silent...

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
We were scannin the radio up here one day hunting and another crowds bear hounds treed a coon. We got a kick out of the houndsman talking about all the reasons how that bear got the dogs off his track.

My buddy got on the radio and said the following, “Excuses are for a man who’s weak in the dog box...”

then signed off...
It was epic.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
We were scannin the radio up here one day hunting and another crowds bear hounds treed a coon. We got a kick out of the houndsman talking about all the reasons how that bear got the dogs off his track.

My buddy got on the radio and said the following, “Excuses are for a man who’s weak in the dog box...”

then signed off...
It was epic.

Epic I'm sure it got down right nasty.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer

then signed off...
It was epic.
There's some truth to that

Plottdog

Six Pointer
Asked an old man I bear hunted with when I was young before there was any tracking collars. I said "Ervin how many dogs you got?" He said I dont know son but I know when I dont have them all back. Classic!

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
Not really a quote, but....

Before I bought my Black and Tan, I got John Wicks books and was telling my kids about a fellow that had a dog that was treeing possums. He tried to remedy it by beating the dog with the possum. Fast forward about 8 months and my dog has a possum bayed up in the back porch. I grab the possum and carry it across the road and let it go. Get back to the house and my daughter throws her hands on her hips and Dead serious says “Why didn’t you beat him with that possum?”

Ive been laughing about it for years lol

My first deer dog hunt, I ask the old timer taking me “How long we gonna hunt?” He replies “We’ll hunt deer till about 9 and dogs till about Monday morning”. Lol

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a dog here that is 5 years old, been treeing since he was 7 mos old. By far the best dog I have ever owned. I NEVER say a dog won't do something, I say they haven't done something if they don't or it isn't likely that they will.

This particular dog just naturally doesn't like possums and had only treed two in his life up to last year. I went with a guy and he was asking me about him and said say so and so won't tree a possum? I said no, he doesn't like them and usually won't mess with them. I had no more then said that when he barked treed and then shut up, which I knew exactly what was up. He asked me was that all he barked on the tree. I told him that he had just treed #3. LOL. We walked to where he was and he was sitting there not saying a word with a grinner about 10' over his head. Luckily he treed 4 more coons that night and we walked right by a possum he had to have smelled and never looked at but he now has 3 to his count.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
she had one volume. and it didn't matter if she was 100 yards or a mile, she was the same loudness. Her voice was low and carried well.

And she loved a possum. Nothing worse than walking a 1/4 mile for a possum.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Me and @Bluedogman were talking earlier (what else is new). On a houndsman podcast, Steve fielder was talking about these old timers he knew from Appalachia. “Yep them ole boys would get a job in the coal mine long enough to get injured or sick enough to get a disability check so they could coon hunt full time.”

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
Me and @Bluedogman were talking earlier (what else is new). On a houndsman podcast, Steve fielder was talking about these old timers he knew from Appalachia. “Yep them ole boys would get a job in the coal mine long enough to get injured or sick enough to get a disability check so they could coon hunt full time.”

I laughed my butt off at that 😂😂😂... then I remembered that I pay taxes 🤨🤨🤨

😂😂😂

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
My mentor would say, "A hound that ain't worth selling, ain't worth giving away."

RJ1

Ten Pointer
There is a very thin line between inbreeding fox hounds and line breeding fox hounds{ David Hellums }

Reactions: DRS

timber

Twelve Pointer
Had some guys bring some dogs to the hunting club that were so sorry i doubt they would chase after a biscuit. Old guy in the club use tell them a sorry dog eats just as much as a good dog. Was kinda his way telling you the dog want worth a crap