Family Trip to Topsail/ Surf City

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Staying in north topsail Wed thru Sunday with the wife, kids, and my parents. Probably gonna be more of an inshore trip with the winds ive seen for later this week, but thats fine my son and dad are hounding me about catching flounder and drum. Gonna fish some grass flats and deep creeks, then maybe find some fiddler crabs and fish docks and bridges for sheepshead. Should be a good trip either way, its the first time ive been to the beach with my parents in almost 10 years. I even got my mom to renew her fishing license.

EazyE02

Button Buck
North topsail is my favorite beach! Went a few weeks ago back in June, I did a little fishing from the Jolly Roger pier, and lots of surf fishing. Fishing was really good, haven't fished the inlets yet, figured I will try to take my kayak out there one of these days. Good luck to ya, have a safe trip.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
No fish in N Topsail. Was bailing these things after everyone went in for supper one night. If you weren’t on the pilings you weren’t on the fish. As a result, if you didn’t turn him before he could pull a foot of drag, you were don’t for. That and the dang sharks. Only time I’ve caught and and broke off sharks on fleas. They’d eat fleas so fast it’d made your head spin.

Attachments

• CE1A50A5-0650-4D85-A8BC-2541F491B384.jpeg
    CE1A50A5-0650-4D85-A8BC-2541F491B384.jpeg
    222.8 KB · Views: 64

EazyE02

Button Buck
No fish in N Topsail. Was bailing these things after everyone went in for supper one night. If you weren’t on the pilings you weren’t on the fish. As a result, if you didn’t turn him before he could pull a foot of drag, you were don’t for. That and the dang sharks. Only time I’ve caught and and broke off sharks on fleas. They’d eat fleas so fast it’d made your head spin.
Nice catch! Never could get on the sheeps, got on small black drums with fleas, and some nice size pomps and Kingfish off of fleas! To bad my drums were too small had to let them go.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

trade ya two of them for some moose burger!!

I like moose,,,but got plenty,,,,don't have no sheepshead,,,

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Good to know on the fleas. Probably get there about 7pm, planned to walk out to the beach and get a mess of fleas for bait. You think I should even bother with looking for one arm bandits?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
We fished offshore for years out of there when my wife's family had a house and boat at sneads ferry. Never messed with inshore fish much, but I'm liking it better now that I'm older and dont like taking many beatings offshore.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Fleas hard to find down there because of the sand been pushed up by the bulldozers after Florence.....found a few on North end, but had to work hard for them.

EazyE02

Button Buck
I see lots of the older guys use a light tackle setup for drums. Light rod, light line. They were catching most red drums, and black drum.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
I see lots of the older guys use a light tackle setup for drums. Light rod, light line. They were catching most red drums, and black drum.

Yeah ive really scaled down my tackle for a lot of things with the technology in braided line and terminal tackle. Even catfish i dont use anything larger than a 4000 series spinning reel, maybe a little beefier rod. Most of my inshore tackle is 3000 or 4000 series reels on medium fast action rods, spooled with 15 lb braid and 15 to 30 lb fluorocarbon leaders. Its a lot more fun than just muscling them in on the big stuff.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Just got unpacked and the boat cleaned up, I need another vacation to recover. Spent 3 full days island hopping and fishing. I've never seen so many dogfish, lizardfish and puffers around topsail/new river. The dogfish were eating 6 inch live mullet whole and the puffers went through 50 fiddler crabs in no time. We moved around alot and never could get away from them. Did get one keeper flounder on a zman scented paddle. Although the fish didnt cooperate had a great time with my family.

Thinking about booking an inshore charter in the future to get a little more educated on that type of fishing. I know when I first started fishing offshore I learned more in two to three trips with an experienced fisherman that I would in 20 trips on my own.