Family activity ideas

Johnnie

Ten Pointer
This thread might help a lot of people with ideas. My kids are old enough now that they will remember every trip/activity we do so I am ready to turn it up a notch. So I am listing things we've done and/or plan to do. Feel free to add family friendly activities or trips.

Things my family has done (outside of hunting and fishing) :
NC Zoo
Aquariums (NC, Myrtle Beach, Atlanta)
Every NC museum I can think of (state sponsored, art, history, natural science, etc...)
Beach trips
Lake trips (skiing/tubing)
Snowboarding
Snow tubing
Indoor Skydiving
Kitty Hawk
NYC
Washington DC museums
Florida Themeparks
Cape Canaveral (NASA)
Savannah, Ga
NC State sports (football, diving, swimming, gymnastics, basketball)
Durham Bulls
Mudcats
WV whitewater rafting
AAF Tank museum in Danville (Awesome!)
NC Battleship
Several NC Ferries

Things we hope to do
NC Waterfall hikes
Cruise ship
Key West/Florida Keys
Nashville
New Orleans
Yellowstone National Park
Glacier National Park
Alaska
NYC again
Washington DC again
NC Lighthouses

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
Do an Alaskan cruise and knock two off at once. They must be trying to get revenue going again because they were a lot cheaper than I remembered.
We are debating that or a trip out west for our honeymoon

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Take you family to one of the big hunting conventions like Dallas Safari, SCI, DU,NWTF or SEWE. They have DU at a different location every year and we make a road trip out of it.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I guess cause I grew up there but Boston is a good place to visit.... do the freedom trail and see how our country got our start. Ironsides the tall ship is part of that tour. Lexington and Concord ....new england aquarium is one of the premier aquariums in the country is in Boston... also go to a historic baseball field Fennway and catch a game..... lots to do.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I always enjoyed visiting historic sites with my kids. Probably due to my parents bringing me and my brother when we were kids. Usually a park-like atmosphere along with the learning that is involved.

Camping was probably a close 2nd only because it was more involved than a day trip somewhere.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Take the kids to Yellowstone when they are old enough to understand the science behind the volcano and the ecology.

I won’t take my kid there til she’s about 9-13

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
This thread might help a lot of people with ideas. My kids are old enough now that they will remember every trip/activity we do so I am ready to turn it up a notch. So I am listing things we've done and/or plan to do. Feel free to add family friendly activities or trips.

Things my family has done (outside of hunting and fishing) :
NC Zoo
Aquariums (NC, Myrtle Beach, Atlanta)
Every NC museum I can think of (state sponsored, art, history, natural science, etc...)
Beach trips
Lake trips (skiing/tubing)
Snowboarding
Snow tubing
Indoor Skydiving
Kitty Hawk
NYC
Washington DC museums
Florida Themeparks
Cape Canaveral (NASA)
Savannah, Ga
NC State sports (football, diving, swimming, gymnastics, basketball)
Durham Bulls
Mudcats
WV whitewater rafting
AAF Tank museum in Danville (Awesome!)
NC Battleship
Several NC Ferries

Things we hope to do
NC Waterfall hikes
Cruise ship
Key West/Florida Keys
Nashville
New Orleans
Yellowstone National Park
Glacier National Park
Alaska
NYC again
Washington DC again
NC Lighthouses
See response above

Johnnie

Ten Pointer
Deliberately???
Yes, the last NYC trip was a 3 day guided tour by their 75 y/o great uncle. His knowledge of the city's history was awesome. In my experience, if you get NYC residents out of their "blank stare, going about my way" trance, most are really good people. My inlaws from NYC and Conn, are really awesome people and are not the stereotypical yankees that this NC country boy's perspective was. We visited classic locations from movies ranging from Arthur to Men in Black and it was a lot of fun. Visiting Ellis Island, climbing the Statue of Liberty, the museums, the World Trade Center memorial, previewing the Macy's floats, and other interesting locations was incredibly memorable.
DC, the museums and memorials (Lincoln, Jefferson, Washington and Arlington Cemetery, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier) are awesome and educational, and seeing the Gov't buildings is interesting as well. Taking kids to Arlington so they can visually grasp and appreciate a small fraction of the sacrifices that were given for the freedoms they have? Yes, "deliberately".

It may not be in your circle of interest/experience but it is mine.

navywolf

Six Pointer
I took my grandson rappelling at a waterfall near Asheville. That's a trip worth doing and certainly outside the norm.

navywolf

Six Pointer
You should consider a Hurricanes game too. Maybe when they play the Caps. (at least that's the one I'd go to)

Jake NFC

Twelve Pointer
Before we became empty nesters we went Church on a regular basis as a family. Now it’s just my wife attending but very pleased they both are regular church attendees in Raleigh.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Carry bars of soap to the river. Wait til tourists are coming through in kayaks or canoes. Drawl the the accent out. And profess your love of bath day.

Bonus points if you engage and invite the tourists to bathe with you.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Youve got the battleship north carolina on your list. I'd add the uss yorktown also. I spent the weekend oboard with as a youngster in scouts and will never forget it!

Clark

Ten Pointer
Yes, the last NYC trip was a 3 day guided tour by their 75 y/o great uncle. His knowledge of the city's history was awesome. In my experience, if you get NYC residents out of their "blank stare, going about my way" trance, most are really good people. My inlaws from NYC and Conn, are really awesome people and are not the stereotypical yankees that this NC country boy's perspective was. We visited classic locations from movies ranging from Arthur to Men in Black and it was a lot of fun. Visiting Ellis Island, climbing the Statue of Liberty, the museums, the World Trade Center memorial, previewing the Macy's floats, and other interesting locations was incredibly memorable.
DC, the museums and memorials (Lincoln, Jefferson, Washington and Arlington Cemetery, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier) are awesome and educational, and seeing the Gov't buildings is interesting as well. Taking kids to Arlington so they can visually grasp and appreciate a small fraction of the sacrifices that were given for the freedoms they have? Yes, "deliberately".

It may not be in your circle of interest/experience but it is mine.
NYC and DC are definitely in my circle of experience - which is why I avoid going back.
But if you have family there you get a pass. ;)

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
My dad and I white water rafted the grand canyon for 5 days, which was freaking awesome. We want to take our kids to The Ark in Kentucky. We hope to do some travel trailer trips. My kids love to explore, and we hope to make a camping trip down the Roanoke River all the way from Weldon to my parents place on the sound. It will take some calm weather and planning but is doable.

Johnnie

Ten Pointer
Youve got the battleship north carolina on your list. I'd add the uss yorktown also. I spent the weekend oboard with as a youngster in scouts and will never forget it!
We've done that one too, I forgot to add to the list, but they were very young so we should re-visit.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
While a lot of those things sound fun and great, if its teaching you want to do then i would suggest some humility growth(might not be the right term) - followed up by something awesome

Volunteer as a family at a food bank, old folks home, cancer ward at a children's hospital, burn ward

While not the exciting family vacation, nothing touched me more than being in a third world country at a local school handing out gifts/school supplies/clothes. I had tears in my eyes at the time, it changed me. My kids got to see some of that in a different country, not the same level, but i truly believe they are more thankful for what they have and are more willing to give back - My son is a volunteer in a couple of things - big brothers being one

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
I guess cause I grew up there but Boston is a good place to visit.... do the freedom trail and see how our country got our start. Ironsides the tall ship is part of that tour. Lexington and Concord ....new england aquarium is one of the premier aquariums in the country is in Boston... also go to a historic baseball field Fennway and catch a game..... lots to do.
I was in Boston one year for the 4th of July. It was amazing. The freedom trail is great.

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
Have you been to Nashville? I would not describe it as a place for kids, unless they are heavily into music. Others may have taken theirs and had fun, but it was an eye opening trip for me, even during the day.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Brought kids horseback riding on OBX this fall. They loved it! While it’s not my thing I enjoyed it as well.

DrSpeed

Eight Pointer
Mine are all 13+, so I know I'm in the range where they will remember, and hopefully appreciate the experience.
My parents took our family to yellowstone and grand tetons when I was 17. Absolutely unforgettable experience, I loved it. I hope to bring my family and little ones up there one day.