Falls Lake Game Lands Advice

RaleighPirate

Button Buck
I’m pretty new to hunting and went with my buddy for the first time last year and fell in love with it. Ended up going 5-6 mornings and got myself my first buck. My buddy no longer has access to the land we hunted in Lillington so I’ve been planning to try Falls Lake game lands this season closer to my home in North Raleigh. I’ve been doing research about scouting and have gone 10 or so afternoons to different spots to see if I can see any signs. Feel like I’ve got 3 spots that look to be heavily traveled by deer. From reading this forum it sounds like these gamelands can become crowded fast but I’m willing to go out at 4 AM if it means getting to my spots. My question is to someone who is experienced with Falls Lake gamelands is what part gets the most pressure? North side west of Wake Forest, South of Falls Lake closer to six forks area or more out west closer to Durham?

Ps. This is my first post but I’ve learned so much reading this forum and am excited to become more active and get to know y’all.

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
@RaleighPirate it’s great to have you on the forum and in the woods. There’s a lot of deer hunting knowledge on here. I started hunting about eight years ago and this forum was a huge help. Good luck this season.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I would give the same advice I gave in another thread. Sacrifice the first day of rifle and find where everyone is hunting so you can find less pressured spots.

Butner-Falls is quite a bit different than Jordan. Vast majority of Jordan is in the Central deer zone. Butner-Falls is split pretty evenly between Northeastern and Central deer zones. If you are hunting it, you can experience two separate muzzleloader and rifle opening days. Hunters will be concentrated in the eastern part during October for the Northeastern season and then concentrated in the western part when Central season starts in November.

Also Butner-Falls has a moderate deer season. That will concentrate the hunters who want to shoot either sex to hunting from opening day of rifle until the Friday of the second week. Your best bet may be to hunt muzzleloader in Durham and Granville counties during the first two weeks of November while everyone is hunting rifle in Wake county and then hunt rifle in the second half of November in Wake for buck only while everyone is hunting either sex in Durham and Granville counties.

Are you hunting the Wake side of Falls, North of the lake? If so, rifle season opener you want to get out early and get set up based on where they are gonna release dogs and where you think those deer are gonna run to.