Fall/Second Fall 2022 Weather Thread

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
4” on the ground here. Warmest it was today was upper 20s this morning. Down to 20 now. Wind howling . Expecting temps down to 10 once it’s dark. Decided not to run the pup today. Let her come in to warm up and she’s wide open lol. I Been lounging by the wood stove reading and drinking coffee. No complaints thus far

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
4” on the ground here. Warmest it was today was upper 20s this morning. Down to 20 now. Wind howling . Expecting temps down to 10 once it’s dark. Decided not to run the pup today. Let her come in to warm up and she’s wide open lol. I Been lounging by the wood stove reading and drinking coffee. No complaints thus far

Wind chill getting down to -5° here, tonight.

I was wearing a t shirt yesterday.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We saw lots of cars coming from Virginia with several inches of snow on them. Nothing but flurries of scrapple here, no accumulation at all.
Dang that wind is cold!

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
15 degrees and dropping here in cabarrus. I expect a couple of hard freezes yet this time of year but could've done without this

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Saturday looking more and more stormy, looks like all types of severe possible.....timing as usual will drive who gets what and how bad....

1647555309025.png

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Models are not impressive with little to no storms this afternoon, still the setup could fire off severe storms....if there are storms at all....certainly not looking as bad as a few days ago.

1647685006832.png

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
little to no storms this afternoon, still the setup could fire off severe storms....if there are storms at all....

can't help it,,, the caveats made me laugh,,, but ya pretty much covered all storm possibilities that's for sure,,,

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
can't help it,,, the caveats made me laugh,,, but ya pretty much covered all storm possibilities that's for sure,,,

Well I mean NC is a big state, the models do not have a lot of activity, but there will be a few storms and those could get severe...I mean the point of this is to cover all possibilities so thanks :)

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Ok language alert, my man was in a excitable state lol......this was a classic example of a satellite tornado spinning up around the main parent rotation, they can be rather violent in their own right this was EF2 type winds, the main tornado is visible in the background especially around the 27 sec mark, and actually ends up barely missing these people from what I gather.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
New Orleans took a big tornado hit tonight. Hope things stay calm around our neck of the woods the next 2 days.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Holy crap, how ballsy was that hanging around to film it! One hell of a twister. Wonder how close they were actually to it?

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Holy crap, how ballsy was that hanging around to film it! One hell of a twister. Wonder how close they were actually to it?

Couple hundred yards probably at least, the sound though, I heard that myself March 1984 when the what would now be a EF5 went through Pitt Co....if you can see the tornado going left or right at that distance then your probably ok its the ones that dont look like they are moving you got to worry about....

This was a strong tornado, had a horizontal feeder, these are usually seen only in larger strong EF3 or better tornados.....

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
I'm gonna go with two answers here.

1. Too da@n close

2. A lot closer than they wanted to be I'm sure!!!

Its nice to have silent awe instead of OMG OMG oh **** oh **** the entire video....I mean I get why that moment would induce those kinds of reactions....but that silence from the people allowed you to fully feel the raw power that thing was pumping out.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
SPC still highlighting severe chances here in NC mostly later this evening and overnight....

Hi Res models dont do much but there are a few storms in here that could be trouble....storms that look like kidney beans are rotating usually and its a thing mets look for...the hi res model has a few of them over central NC this evening, so I would not be surprised to see a torando warning or too and maybe even a tornado watch.

1648064612631.png