Fall/Winter 2021 Weather Thread

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Yuck

1638454448569.png

Maybe a little help but not enough over the next 16 days, need a pattern change but looks warm and dry for first half of Dec....

1638454521109.png

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
wettest run in awhile.....its fickle though, the majority of the precip in this comes with a system around Dec 9/10....but sometimes its further north/weaker, need this to be right as it puts down a few inches over a day or so, a good soaking rain which should reduce the fire issue somewhat at least.

1638465281017.png

Last edited:

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
This is pretty remarkable for Dec 2 , that is way way way above normal in the upper midwest something like 30-35 degrees above normal.....

1638471515734.png

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
I hope this pans out, at this point it seems pretty likely that its going to rain in this timeframe and it might be a several day event....several models have this system now.....

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_fh132-180.gif

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Hawaii gets more snow than we do :(

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Honolulu HI
311 AM HST Fri Dec 3 2021

...BLIZZARD WARNING FOR THE BIG ISLAND SUMMITS...

HIZ028-040215-
/O.CON.PHFO.BZ.W.0001.211204T0400Z-211205T1600Z/
Big Island Summits-
311 AM HST Fri Dec 3 2021

...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO
6 AM HST SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Blizzard conditions expected. Total snow accumulations
of up to 12 inches or more. Winds gusting over 100 mph.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
A little dip for this area by Sunday, but not too bad for the 10 day… all things considered.

Yep that cold front will be stout and get us back to normal or even a touch below it for 48 hrs or so, overall a very La Nina pattern......historical if we get snow or ice in a La Nina winter its more late Jan into Feb/Mar but really some of the least snowiest winters we ever had ( 95-96, 11-12) state wide were similar moderate La Nina's.....this does not bode well for snow lovers in NC....That said all it takes is one good big snow for most of the state to get its yearly snowfall average lol.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Looks wedgey for that rainfall next week, rainy and temps in the upper 30's to 40's over the piedmont.....

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
So cold lovers might as well get used to the 60s as a frequent high for the foreseeable future?

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
So cold lovers might as well get used to the 60s as a frequent high for the foreseeable future?

hell 70's lol.....though its going to slowly cool down again headed into Christmas I hope....the pattern is warmish with a few colder shots for the next 16 days. Looks like some badly needed rain will fall though not enough to end the drought but at least enough to get us out of the fire danger for a few days.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
As is usually the case if we are warm the west coast or plains will be cold. So as the models look forward they have crushing shows for most all mountain ranges in Caifornia with some predictions of 12 feets if snow over the next 16 days. Even ranges outside of the Sierra will pick up good shows. That's great news for their drought conditions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211206-123816_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211206-123816_Samsung Internet.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 2

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Nice cool wedgey day tomorrow, temps in the 40's all day with rain, then a cold night as the storm pulls out....badly needed rain even if it isnt a drought buster. Temp rebound quickly and we will be pushing 80 this Sat.....longer range the models hint at a pattern change around Xmas but its long range so we will wait and see....at this point I will settle for seasonal weather, I hate warm winters.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Nice cool wedgey day tomorrow, temps in the 40's all day with rain, then a cold night as the storm pulls out....badly needed rain even if it isnt a drought buster. Temp rebound quickly and we will be pushing 80 this Sat.....longer range the models hint at a pattern change around Xmas but its long range so we will wait and see....at this point I will settle for seasonal weather, I hate warm winters.
why would anyone hate an extension of fall or a long spring?

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
why would anyone hate an extension of fall or a long spring?

Winter is for cold, I like the cold and snow in reasonable doses, I almost had to put the AC on yesterday to cool off the house... It should not be darn near 80 in Dec....we get this rain tomorrow followed by 70's and my yard is liable to green up and make me mow it. I look forward to the 3 maybe 4 months I don't have to mow. At least tomorrow will be cooler, models have highs in the low 40's for most, maybe even upper 30's in the NW corner of the state, dont worry though it will be 75-80 on Sat.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
You will not hear me complaining about these temps. There is a backside to winter, so the later the cold starts here, the shorter it last lol. D86ED94A-B2ED-4979-805F-B95A9FA26F0D.jpeg

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
You will not hear me complaining about these temps. There is a backside to winter, so the later the cold starts here, the shorter it last lol. View attachment 80645

The models wanna flip to a colder pattern right in time for the holidays.....though typically in La Nina's the colder pattern would be short lived a few weeks at most....again though all it takes is one well timed low off the SE coast to make this a average snowfall year for most of us.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
The models wanna flip to a colder pattern right in time for the holidays.....though typically in La Nina's the colder pattern would be short lived a few weeks at most....again though all it takes is one well timed low off the SE coast to make this a average snowfall year for most of us.
I jinxed us here in southern Indiana. Woke up to snow on the ground and interstates iced up. Bunch of people off the roads this morning. 😬

Should be gone soon though, supposed to get to 46 today.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Here is some fantasy snow for Oldest School.....I would say the chances that we get into a fairly decent cold period starting the week of Christmas is pretty good, again the over all moderate La Nina should make this a fairly short lived cold spell ( maybe a 10-14 day period ) before switching back to above normal and dry.....
1639096960938.png

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Some pretty devastating tornados last night. Governor of Kentucky saying 50 people likely dead in the community of Mayfield. The tornado had the highest doppler estimated winds at 5k feet and is the highest recorded at that level in doppler radar history. Tragic.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
Some pretty devastating tornados last night. Governor of Kentucky saying 50 people likely dead in the community of Mayfield. The tornado had the highest doppler estimated winds at 5k feet and is the highest recorded at that level in doppler radar history. Tragic.
They said that joker went on for over 200 miles across the state.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Some of the aerial video I’ve seen this morning is crazy bad. Large swaths of community buildings totally crushed. Can understand why the fatalities are estimated so high. Tragic.

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
My wife’s best friend from med school, lives outside Princeton Ky. Wife called her this morning, said it missed their house/farm by a few miles.