Fall Plots

ncnat

Ten Pointer
Wheat, forage radish, rape and clover planted sometime late August to early September.

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
Wheat, oats, winter peas, radish, and clover. We will start planting after we dove hunt on 9/2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25contender

Twelve Pointer
In june we will plant our Chufa, Ironclay peas, and Pearl millet. In October we will do some over seeding of our clover if needed and maybe a little wheat.

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
In june we will plant our Chufa, Ironclay peas, and Pearl millet. In October we will do some over seeding of our clover if needed and maybe a little wheat.

Does your Chufa make it till turkey season or does it disappear in the fall.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
I will be doing brassicas, oats, brassica/clover mix, and overseeding either radishes or oats into standing beans in August/September.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Shoot I still haven't planted my spring plots.... Crimson clover and rye and oats work really well and they germinate fast and produce a lot of forage during the cold. I would prefer to plant wheat AND oats but certified wheat seed has been hard to get the last few years unless I get feed wheat which works well too.
Planting soybeans and iron clay peas this weekend in Harnett.

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Wheat availability is strange. The CPS down here doesn't have it until at least mid October, which is a little too late for my purposes. The other farm store I use was sold out by September last year!? I guess they harvest their own and don't certify it and they sell out before dove season opens. Not sure why CPS can't get it earlier. I had to go to their supplier farm 2 years ago and get a few bags before it was certified.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Wheat availability is strange. The CPS down here doesn't have it until at least mid October, which is a little too late for my purposes. The other farm store I use was sold out by September last year!? I guess they harvest their own and don't certify it and they sell out before dove season opens. Not sure why CPS can't get it earlier. I had to go to their supplier farm 2 years ago and get a few bags before it was certified.
Yep CPS in Sanford wont have wheat till Mid to Late October. I have to get feed wheat from Carthage Farm supply if I want wheat seed but that seed don't germinate as fast nor does all the seed germinate. I can plant wheat up to October 25 here in Harnett county but not in Rockingham county.

Last edited:

tra_cline

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Did soy beans for summer planting.
Fall planting will be: Clover mix, white dutch- arrow leaf- and some chicory mixed in
I will topping beans: Dakion radishes, rape, PPT, suger beets- (wild card in this as I think really need covered)
I have a couple small areas that I will sow clover and cereal grain onto,
...I still have a 10lb bag of lab lab and some peas left that I am going to plant on my next trip up for a small summer plot.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yep CPS in Sanford wont have wheat till Mid to Late October. I have to get feed wheat from Carthage Farm supply if I want wheat seed but that seed don't germinate as fast nor does all the seed germinate. I can plant wheat up to October 25 here in Harnett county but not in Rockingham county.

Ran into the same thing last year with CPS here in Erwin.. looks like rye & oats again this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I will plant wheat this year, but I will have to get it early, uncertified. Before September. Lower germination is not a concern for me.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Broadcast 75lbs of buckwheat & 25lbs of peas yesterday into my standing rye. Came back over it with my spike harrow & packed with atv tires.

Buckwheat I had broadcast last month, what sprouted got wiped out by the deer. They are even eating the heads off the rye.

Hopefully the buckwheat makes it, I'll let that go through the summer & come back in Sept with rye,oats & maybe some clover. Or at least as soon as CPS gets the seed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
What are you planning to plant in your fall plots? When do you plan on planting?

I am going to throw and mow a fall variety around 9/15. I will shoot it with gly two weeks before throwing and mowing. The variety will be heavy in crimson clover plus either wheat or oats. Very small area, perhaps a quarter acre timber road.

useyourbow

Eight Pointer
I have limited equipment but should have bare dirt. Will oats sprout if broadcasted before a rain or should I just try rye?

25contender

Twelve Pointer
You might want to do a mix. I don't see why the oats wouldn't grow. I would wait till October to plant your grains.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Oats sprout surprisingly well. As long as they've got good soil contact and you get a good rain, they should sprout. I have had them sprout on gravel when I spilled a few.

You might sow them a little thicker than recommended knowing your germination rate will be lower.

tjfreddy

Button Buck
I think that I am going to try a food plot this fall for the first time. I have limited equipment aka none at all, but part of the land has tobacco on it now so I was going to talk to the guy growing the tobacco to see if I could throw some seed out after he turns it over. It looks like oats and rye might be a good combo to try. It have done a little bit (Not a ton actually though) of searching on line but cannot seem to find a place in Greensboro to pick up the seed. Any ideas on who to call/where to check? Southern states was my first thought but I do not see anything on line except for the imperial whitetail brand.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
I think that I am going to try a food plot this fall for the first time. I have limited equipment aka none at all, but part of the land has tobacco on it now so I was going to talk to the guy growing the tobacco to see if I could throw some seed out after he turns it over. It looks like oats and rye might be a good combo to try. It have done a little bit (Not a ton actually though) of searching on line but cannot seem to find a place in Greensboro to pick up the seed. Any ideas on who to call/where to check? Southern states was my first thought but I do not see anything on line except for the imperial whitetail brand.
Southern States keeps their brand of feed grade oats for between $10 to $15 a bag

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Purple top turnips, winterpeas, crimson clover, wheat, and chicory.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Might start this weekend in Rockingham county.... Since I am so close to Virginia.
Probably wait till end of September in Scotland and Harnett county to plant.