fall plans set

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
posting here since it covers small game, deer, turkey AND fishing,,,,,,,,an epic fall planned,,,,long range excursions to gather meat for the next get together - meat that has YET to grace the Grill at Lake Phelps,,,,

I have faced the fact that I am no longer the young warfighter I once was, that one day my time treading this Earth will end, and I will be DANGED if I leave it WISHING I had hunted more places,,,,kids inheritance be danged

about have all plans in place,,,,numerous boondoggles planned, local hunts in the mix,,,fishing trips,,,etc etc etc

now if the boss agrees,,,email going to him tonight. Wife is bought in - may even go with me to Montana (likely will back out but hey - it's moving in the right direction)

and if the boss disagrees? I may need a new J.O.B.

one out of state boondoggle a month (well more some months),,,,

Aug - SC and GA
Sept - Montana, SC, and NC
Oct - Michigan, NC, SC, and GA
Nov - Louisiana, NC and SC
Dec - Texas, NC, SC and maybe LA
Jan - Kansas, NC and SC,,,,
Feb - NC, SC

spent all my allowance on licenses so having to plan frugal for lodging and meals,,,,most of it is oriented on getting a head start on my 2019/2020 turkey goal as well as getting my young drahthaar (he's 7 months old now) into lots of wild birds,,,

pics to follow :D

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
posting here since it covers small game, deer, turkey AND fishing,,,,,,,,an epic fall planned,,,,long range excursions to gather meat for the next get together - meat that has YET to grace the Grill at Lake Phelps,,,,

I have faced the fact that I am no longer the young warfighter I once was, that one day my time treading this Earth will end, and I will be DANGED if I leave it WISHING I had hunted more places,,,,kids inheritance be danged

about have all plans in place,,,,numerous boondoggles planned, local hunts in the mix,,,fishing trips,,,etc etc etc

now if the boss agrees,,,email going to him tonight. Wife is bought in - may even go with me to Montana (likely will back out but hey - it's moving in the right direction)

Aug - SC and GA
Feb - NC, SC

spent all my allowance on licenses so having to plan frugal for lodging and meals,,,,most of it is oriented on getting a head start on my 2019/2020 turkey goal as well as getting my young drahthaar (he's 7 months old now) into lots of wild birds,,,

Sounds like fun, when I was your age my wallet hurt my azz because it was bulging with OOS licenses (note it wasn't money) lol. Now I stick fairly close to the roost mainly because I don't travel well. I will be down your way quite often though.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Sounds like fun, when I was your age my wallet hurt my azz because it was bulging with OOS licenses (note it wasn't money) lol. Now I stick fairly close to the roost mainly because I don't travel well. I will be down your way quite often though.

oh I plan to be there as well some,,,,see you in a few weeks,,,

on the OOS licenses - I gave up on the wallet - now all licenses (OOS, NC, wherever) are in a license pouch like the fellows up north wear on their back,,,mine just has 550 cord neckl;ace,,,carry it there,,,when not needed it hangs in the truck so I don't forget that stuff!

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
You gonna pick off one them Rios while in Tx or Ks? That sounds like full schedule living life to fullest only way to go goid luck hope you need new freezer by spring

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
You gonna pick off one them Rios while in Tx or Ks? That sounds like full schedule living life to fullest only way to go goid luck hope you need new freezer by spring

there are many species on the wish list,,,,I ain't talking specifics until critters are in hand,,,but yes, Rios, Merriams, and Easterns are on the fall list,,,need a head start so I can waste a lot of time chasing osceolas next spring!!

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
there are many species on the wish list,,,,I ain't talking specifics until critters are in hand,,,but yes, Rios, Merriams, and Easterns are on the fall list,,,need a head start so I can waste a lot of time chasing osceolas next spring!!
That sounds awesome I ain't gonna lie little jealous here. Never fall hunted Rio or Merriam but always wondered if them hens are half as chatty in fall as spring looking forward to some stories

Aug - SC and GA
Feb - NC, SC

Dang big money! You have to be averaging $300 a license per state.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
When i was young i passed on many opportunities for a variety or reasons, i dont want to be sitting when i am older with more regrets about lost boondoggles
I just got an invite that i am very tempted and will likely figure out a way to do it, on top of my other hunts - Wisconsin opening weekend hunt, while not quite Buffalo county, but its less than a mile away - at some point i will mention it to the wife, figure i have a good opportunity in the next 3 months to catch her in a good mood

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I understand and agree with your plan. I began my "circuit" years ago and with a couple of variations I haven't changed it in years. All I hunt are flying birds, no fur and they don't really change, but their location may vary....
It seems when folks think "License"they think big bucks, but in reality small game licenses aren't that expensive...
Have fun, let me know if you ever want to meet up somewhere and make sure you have emergency info ON your person at all times....

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm a quite a bit younger than you, and I believe I'd be pretty well worn out before I made it to the end of that schedule.

What kind of interesting species you chasing (besides the turkeys of course)?

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
It sounds exhausting but eventful. No better way to see America than to head out on a hunting trip. I live to hunt new places, I savor every memory. I never would have seen life in America outside of western NC if it weren't for roadtrip hunting. Enjoy !!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
What kind of interesting species you chasing (besides the turkeys of course)?

sage grouse (MT) - primary target in MT
sharptail grouse (MT and KS)
hungarian partridges (MT)
ruffed grouse (MI)
king and clapper rails (GA and NC)
quail (bobwhite, mearns, and scaled) (TX and KS,,,planted birds here in NC)
pheasant (KS)
javelina (TX)
hogs (SC and TX)
swan (permit dependent) (NC)
crane (permit dependent) (AZ, TX)
and of course,,,ducks and geese (NC, SC, LA)
deer

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
We are down in Florida right now and today I saw some birds that had the most ridiculous color to them. As I got closer I could tell they were turkey. Who would not want one of these beautiful bird as a trophy?

Ever thought about getting one of these for the wall woodmoose?

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
Man sounds like a killer way to end a year.

i get invited every year now to a 3 week bash across the country upland hunting, im just not their financially yet. hoping in the next 2-3 years i will be able to go. Luckly the older men that have always put it together have made arrangements for me to go one year with or without them with all the landowners that they have hunted with for the last 15 or so years.