Face mask

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Just looking to see what gear is pretty much must have gear, and I figured I could find out here.
Must have gear doesn't have to be ton or fancy to kill turkeys experience is what kills em if you got gun few shells a call you can make basic sounds with and camo army or the market kind will do and I would get chap mask and gloves and your set. Sitting still is way more important than camo style ad well as blending in

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have several of the cheap mesh ones, seems like they tend to get lost or forgotten at home by me , so I leave one in the truck, one in my vest etc.

I can’t stand face paint

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
if any of you have a dave owens (pinhoti man)Under armour with the draw string adjustment that you want to part with let me know.
I cant find one and it looks like it solves several problems.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I've only ever had one. It's a mothwing I believe, and I had all the holes sewed shut. Super lightweight and I wear it like a buff.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I got hats for us that have kind of a veil, if breaths enough I don’t fog up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Travis, where did you find the hats and how are they made?

I have a cap that has the mesh veil attached to the bill and sides of the cap all the way back to the adjustment window in the back. The veil is about 18" long in the front and tapers shorter toward the back. I tuck the mesh in the cap until I need it and then just let it drop down and can see through it. I covers my face and now totally white beard and it also covers the glasses that otherwise reflect light. I have tried about every other style of mask made and that cap is far superior to any of them IMO. But I have not seen that style anywhere in years. I would buy another like it in a heartbeat.

I have seen some caps with a mask attached to the sides but open under the bill more like a 3/4 mask.

To the OP, I highly recommend a mask to help break up your outline.

Last edited:

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Look up Black Strap face masks.

I picked one up from a ski shop, when I was in Breckinridge.

I still wear UA, but the BS is the cats meow.

If I hunt 100x/yr, I wear a mask 100x.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Travis, where did you find the hats and how are they made?

I have a cap that has the mesh veil attached to the bill and sides of the cap all the way back to the adjustment window in the back. The veil is about 1" long in the front and tapers shorter toward the back. I tuck the mesh in the cap until I need it and then just let it drop down and can see through it. I covers my face and now totally white beard and it also covers the glasses that otherwise reflect light. I have tried about every other style of mask made and that cap is far superior to any of them IMO. But I have not seen that style anywhere in years. I would buy another like it in a heartbeat.

I have seen some caps with a mask attached to the sides but open under the bill more like a 3/4 mask.

To the OP, I highly recommend a mask to help break up your outline.

That’s how mine are made, cabelas had them about 2 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No beard, but I'm African American and dont need face paint per say...so how does my skin tone factor in?
You have a distinct advantage over light skin. I wear glasses which works against me but only wear a half mask. I had trouble with fogging the glasses which I need to see at distances. A camo hat and a lower face mask works fine for me. Even a bandanna worn kind of cowboy outlaw style that you can pull up when the bird is coming can be a big help. I think that's all you would need.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I agree that using a facemask can help your turkey hunting. Face paint & I just don't get along.

In early spring, I wear a camo lycra 3/4 mask under a leafy headnet that's worn over my cap. When it warms up, I stuff the lycra in a vest pocket. I always carry a spare headnet and pair of gloves, because they're easy to loose & spares don't take up much space. It's better to have than to want.

Sitting still is the key,. Your head is the highest point of your body and what a turkey is most likely to see first, there's no sense having it stick out like a lighthouse.

Jim